Changes/Irregularities in EC's? Please help!

<p>So I got a few quick issues with some of my extracurriculars that I listed on my UC application.</p>

<p>I put down that I had done Track and Field for 9th grade and was planning to do it this year (12th) but I was recently injured in wrestling and the doctor advised me to not take the risk.</p>

<p>I also founded/was president of a club this year but had to sort of take a hiatus from the club when college apps took over my life. I’m restarting the club now but for a solid month or two we didn’t do anything because I just didn’t have the time.</p>

<p>Furthermore, I said that I was on track to obtain the Master Peer Tutor award from my school for 50+ hours of tutoring, but this semester, most of my tutor clients quit or didn’t need my help anymore, so I might not qualify like I thought I would by the end of this year.</p>

<p>Lastly, I that club I said I had run for three years (it is a community service-based club) because my family, friends and I had participated in numerous extracurricular activities that we run through the club in previous years. We met as a club, we acted as a club, and we volunteered as a club, but we only just decided to officially become a school-related club this year. Would this become a problem if the UC’s check it? Could I just explain this type of stuff in a letter of some sort?</p>

<p>I recently got crazy scared when I heard that the UC’s often run checks on extracurricular activities and I was wondering how to handle certain things like these. Do I just call/email admissions to let them know about what happened with these things? What about the club thing? It was an honest mistake, I was tempted to not even put the club at all, but my guidance counselor recommended that I put it there anyways. How often do UC’s check extracurriculars and how do they do it? Sorry if this seems a little trivial over some little things but I just wanted to make sure there is no margin for error in my application. I did not lie on anything in my app, but I just feel like certain things like these need to be addressed to clear my name and I’m not entirely certain how to do it now that the application is submitted.</p>

<p>Thank you to all who respond.</p>

<p>Where did you hear that the UC’s often run checks? LOL. Anyway, there is this verification thing they do at random for about 10% of the applicants each year. I was one of those selected my year, and all they want basically is some proof that you did what you said you did. The evidence needed to be cleared was IMO, very shallow. I had to prove I was in a club I said I was in on the application, and all I did was mail in a club picture from the yearbook which also had a caption containing my name. They did not ask anything about specific hours, specific activities, whether or not the club is still around, they don’t care. In any case, verification season is over, I believe; UCR and UCI already have decisions coming out so they’re probably evaluating the applications by now. </p>

<p>Life happens, and it isn’t really your fault if your plans decide to fall apart. They can’t say you were lying about planning to participate in all those activities this year. It’s true that those were your plans as of the date you submitted the application, but what happens after is unpredictable. Lying is when you indicate you are president of 5 clubs simultaneously when 4 of those clubs do not even exist at your school, and those are very easy for them to catch. For those people, I doubt the verification process is “random.” Tbh, the extracurriculars you list, with whatever hours, ect, those details are all pretty meaningless unless explicitly discussed in the personal statements. If it would help you feel less “guilty” about all these discrepancies, you can give them a call or write in describing your situation. I can’t promise that it won’t affect your admissions decisions but I really doubt it would.</p>

<p>phew, that’s a relief :)</p>

<p>i mean, my friends/family said I’m freaking out over nothing because the UC’s don’t even consider things like ec’s and cs hours too heavily, and that people lie on their apps all the time (idk if that part’s entirely true) How should I let them know though? Phone? Email? what should I say, just the same stuff I said here?</p>

<p>My guidance counselor said I should let them know via note like you said so they don’t ask later but she was pretty nonchilant about it so i’m assuming things like this aren’t a big deal. i just heard all this stuff about academic dishonesty at my school the other day and now i’m going through my apps with a fine-tooth comb to make sure there is no way i can get called out on something.</p>

<p>Just out of curiosity though, how does that UC validation thing work anyways? They just pick 10% of incoming freshmen and ask “How can you prove this is true?” If so I’d imagine some people probably could get away with lying :confused: Does that apply to transfers as well? What about sophomores/juniors/seniors? Now I’m just curious lol</p>