Changes to Recontracting for CURRENT UA Residents

<p>Hi Janine - </p>

<p>Will students who do not have housing scholarships, but are currently in Living-Learning Communities (i.e Honors Housing) be guaranteed a space in the same LLC next year?</p>

<p>The new information is not specific on this point.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Am I correct in assuming from the email that was sent out today…that there will NOT be any Honors Housing in Riverside or Lakeside? Or does your (UA Housing) email mean that some of it will remain honors? Confused…son really wants to stay in Riverside Honors (closest to eng’g/science), so want to make sure what that email really means. Thanks.</p>

<p>The email did not mention if any other honors housing would be announced at a later date; it only said that two buildings were becoming honors housing after being non-honors housing for the past few years. Unless things are significantly changing, other honors dorms are needed to keep up with demand.</p>

<p>Is this all because of the huge influx of honors and OOS students?</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>I think that Bama wants to have all honors housing grouped together…The Ridgecrests (S, W, E) are all very close to each other…while Lakeside, Riverside, and Presidential (non honors) are close together.</p>

<p>I also think Bama wanted all of Ridgecrest S to be honors.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I posted this on another thread yesterday, but I’ll repeat it here. I e-mailed housing a little over a week ago and was told that at this time they cannot guarantee that non-housing scholarship students in honors housing will be able to remain on campus, even if all recontracting deadlines are met. The response also said that they’re still looking at their space and refining their policies, but will have their policies set within the next several weeks.</p>

<p>Any update on this issue? Should an honors student (no housing scholarship) consider non-honors housing as an incoming freshman next year, in order to be able to stay on campus sophomore year? Only one year of guaranteed on campus housing isn’t what we were expecting??? I don’t know what he will end up wanting to do, but moving off campus in sophomore year isn’t something I would want him to feel forced to do…</p>

<p>No…I don’t think so…don’t choose non-honors. Non honors wouldn’t have a better chance.</p>

<p>Things should be better next year. Sophs will have priority over juniors and seniors.</p>

<p>Definately chose honors housing, if they give preference to anyone, it will be honors over non-honors. Sophomore year your student will have preference over juniors and seniors which is a good thing. Every year students choose to move off campus, or move to Greek housing which are alternate housing options. However, by the time your student is Sophomore, Presidential building two should be open and I think that the housing crunch will ease up.</p>

<p>As always, thanks for the excellent advice!</p>

<p>Will the housing crunch be over once Presidential II opens up?</p>

<p>Presidential II will be replacing some current housing, so there will not be as large of an increase in the total number of beds once it opens.</p>

<p>Are additional dorms being torn down? I thought I read somewhere that Palmer Hall might be going - are there more?</p>

<p>Does anyone with knowledge about the current number of beds on campus have any opinion on a current freshman honors student’s chance of remaining on campus next year? Son does not have a housing scholarship. </p>

<p>We are just perplexed as to how to work through this. If son waits to see if he is has a bed on campus (and it ends up he doesn’t) he fears it will be too late to find furnished housing that will work for an OOS student without a car (think East Edge).</p>

<p>Son is in meetings and activities to late at night more times than not. I get the sense he is really worried about this situation. Any insight would be most helpful. Thanks.</p>

<p>Yeah, that is scary, as a new freshman being faced with the possibility you may not get campus or honors housing for the next year, and needing to worry about that while still settling in to campus life, that is a real concern…esp for (very far from) OOS students. I hope they recognize and deal with this, could become a deal breaker…the honors housing was/is one of the top advantages to the school on our decision tree…</p>

<p>Which dorms will be honors next year?</p>

<p>^^ So far it sounds like the Ridgecrests (East, West and both towers of South).</p>

<p>I’m wondering if those of us who have students who will be second year but classified as juniors due to coming with AP and other credits will have less of a priority than other second year students. Does anyone know?</p>

<p>I don’t think so. Housing has been pretty clear that first year students are considered rising sophomores regardless of the number of credits, and there’s been no mention of differentiating among rising sophomores on any basis other than when they fill out the housing application.</p>

<p>beth’s mom, I hope you are right. It’s the word “classification” that’s bothering me. Right now in DegreeWorks, classification for my son says “sophomore”. That’s without completing this semester or next semester. Surely he’ll be classified a junior by next year. I worry this may cause an issue.</p>