Changing majors?? Help!

<p>Hi, I was sure I was going to be studying secondary education w/Social studies, but now I honestly want to purse a city service job (FD) and was told that to be a firefighter you need to have a decent side job. I was also told that nursing and occupational / physical therapy we're great side jobs to do. I'm now considering changing my major to one of these at the schools I've already be accepted to.... ANY advice, or suggestions to assure me of this decision? I just don't know if this is a smart decision to make. -many thanks</p>

<p>In my area, the larger municipalities have paid firefighters, while everywhere else has volunteers. The larger municipalities have cross-trained the firefighters as EMTs, and they also respond to assist the paid paramedics with medical calls. Part of the reason is that there are so many obese patients, and the paramedics need help carrying people. Another reason is that the number of building fires has decreased across the country, while the number of emergency medical calls have dramatically increased. The point is: any cross-training or experience as an EMT should help you as a firefighter.</p>

<p>In my area, the new police officers have 4 year degrees (usually criminal justice) and/or military experience. I don’t know about the firefighters - I think formal college education is a less important. I believe firefighters typically attend programs at community colleges, as well as a fire academy. You should check on the hiring requirements of several fire departments where you might want to work.</p>

<p>Registered nursing is too hard a career to do as a sideline. I’d suggest paramedic training as a sideline to firefighting. It may be easier to find work as a paramedic than as a firefighter, because more of the positions are paid.</p>

<p>Most professional firefighters have schedules that give them long periods of time off. Many use that time to do work as home repair contractors, etc.</p>

<p>Another sideline to being firefighter may be as a building and fire inspector. That typically involves training programs outside of a traditional college degree, and often offers part-time work.</p>

<p>Thanks for the reply, emt/paramedics are hand in hand with the fire department right now and I’ve been told that that is the route to go, but as far as college goes… I don’t really know how hard or intense the nursing programs are, and if its worth it to just be done on the side. </p>

<p>Sent from my PG86100 using CC</p>