Changing Majors Virginia Tech

<p>So I got accepted as a BioChem major and wanted to know if I will be able to change my major in the future. Does anybody know how hard it is or what the process is like... Also I am going in as a Sophomore this Fall.</p>

<p>What do you want to change to?</p>

<p>Computer Science…</p>

<p>Well, you first need to get into the college of engineering and then do an internal transfer to computer science. I don’t think it is easy, but is possible.</p>

<p>So it is possible… I have completed some of the classes (chem, phy and Calculus) that are required for General Engineering and are also required for BioChem, so i hope that will help… I also got some time before I officially graduate, take some classes over the summer etc. I really don’t want BioChem as my major(accept it as a minor)… I was planning on doing pre-med but just thought of majoring in BioChem. If, for any reason, I don’t get into a medical school then I don’t really know what I’ll be doing with a BioChem degree… Its better to major in something where you will enjoy your time and still find a good job…
Thanks for the info…</p>

<p>To expand on that a bit, before you can take engineering classes you have to take the intro to engineering classes. They are not generally offered to out of major freshmen, but I don’t know how you being a sophomore will change that.</p>

<p>You can take the class at a nearby community college (and I think someone said it is all online now?) and try and transfer in. It’s unlikely that you would be able to graduate in 3 years, though, even with the AP credits.</p>

<p>what about changing to business from sociology?</p>

<p>VT’s policies for changing majors are just wrong. They make it too hard for a clueless 18 year old to change his/her mind, which most end up doing. Unfortunately their standards of engineering are so much higher than the rest of the college, which makes a switch a lot more tedious than it is at most colleges.</p>

<p>They make it harder to switch into engineering to discourage people from applying for a different major to get a better shot at getting in and then trying to transfer into engineering. And most of the people that DO try and transfer into engineering are people who applied engineering in the first place but got in University Studies; I don’t think there are a lot of people who show up on campus and later decide that they want to enter engineering.</p>

<p>That all goes treble for CAUS.</p>

<p>About sociology, the only two schools that I know that it is difficult to transfer into are Engineering (annoying but doable) and CAUS (no.) I don’t know of any other transfers that have a lot of requirements but you should ask admissions/a dozen counselors.</p>

<p>Right now, I Have been accepted as a transfer for BioChem. So if I want to do Computer Science, I would have to get into the College of Engineering which is based on my grades that I recieve at VT( after maybe a semester or two)??? Is that correct or do I need to get my facts straight.
On their website, it says that you have to declare your major before your senior year(or 30 credits prior to graduation)… However, I couldn’t find any info for transfer students changing majors…</p>