Choate Essay

Should I write my Choate essay on being embarrassed about my Chinese culture then realizing that i should embrace it? i’m worried that writing an entire essay that has to do with being asian would significantly lower my chances of getting in and also it’s very typical. It’ll tell about when i had free time at my ballet studio. They were preparing for the nutcracker and i wasn’t a part of it so i had some free time and they said i could work on Chinese with some little kids because i didn’t have any other things to do. the teachers quickly taught me the coreography and it started with them running like Chinese servants then they did many mocking movements with their fingers pointing. When I started dancing i felt super embarrassed and felt like the dance was very offensive. is it good or should i try to think of another topic?

Please think of another topic. I don’t think self deprecation works well in this context. Make sure you address the topic.

1 Like

What do you mean by this? It’s just that i felt embarrassed in the moment and i learned to overcome it. Is that self depreciation? What do you mean by address the topic?

If you were going to go with a topic like this, particularly with that example, I would make sure you can say how you learned to stand up for yourself and others, how you addressed the offensive/mocking/stereotyped dance moves and the ways in which you embrace and educate others on your rich cultural history and will continue to advocate/educate in boarding school.

1 Like

Thank you so much, you are so helpful I will definitely do that!