Choosing a Dorm

<p>I'm looking for a dorm with the most diversity. What would be the best choices? Witte?Ogg?</p>

<p>How do you define diversity? Witte, like Sellery, will be nearly all freshman in a 1000 person dorm – there will be students from everywhere and every background, though you will likely spend a lot of time with the students on your hall, at least for the first semester. Ogg is a newer dorm and attracts more upper classmen, so not all freshman. It is more expensive than Witte and Sellery, so students (and their families) are choosing to spend more money for nicer accommodations. That may mean that it could be slightly less economically diverse than the less expensive dorms, or not. </p>

<p>Are there any learning communities you find interesting? Although I haven’t looked at the offerings recently, I imagine there is a multi-cultural type learning community. </p>

<p>As above- how do you define diversity?</p>

<p>People with all majors and from everywhere choose dorms all over campus. They do not have any special facilities for Honors Program students either- those students are diverse in their interests. You should not worry about diversity but rather choose the environment you would prefer to spend your down time- evenings/weekends- in. This means deciding if you would rather be in a city high rise in the Southeast area or closer to the lake in the Lakeshore area. Don’t worry about distances to classes- you won’t know where yours are relative to your dorm and you can eat at any Res Halls facility. There are libraries close to each dorm area if studying in them suits you. Check on the room styles, age of building, costs for dorms with extras et al. No matter where you live you will find people who all chose UW and those who prefer aspects of living that match yours.</p>

<p>Oh sorry, I mean diversity as in people. I was told that witte has more ethnic diversity since it houses the multicultural learning center. Is this true?</p>

<p>My friend lived in ■■■■■■ Witte, she hated it and loved it. Dorm is old but the people are great. I believe Wittie and Sellery are super diverse because its the cheapest of the dorms so most students get placed there on affordability. As you move towards Ogg and up, those students are somewhat known to have families with a little higher income. With that, I don’t know much about all of the dorms and their diversity because I only talked about a few of the Southeast dorms, but I’m certain every area of Madison has high diversity. I may be wrong with some of my facts but its just from what I have been told/experienced. Also, usually there is only a fraction of sophomores in the dorms because they all tend to live in apartments by their 2nd year. Hope this helps!</p>

<p>Witte is only middle aged comparatively speaking. It also is no cheaper than several other dorms. If you want the multicultural learning center sign up for it. The other floors will be no more/less diverse. I would also think those within that center may spend their free time with each other so those in other houses (ie floors) will have no extra benefit from living in the same building. </p>

<p>You also need to define what you mean by diversity in people. Some consider race, ethnic group and gender. Any dorm will mimic the characteristics of the entering freshmen and some returning students in those. Most will be from Wisconsin with its ethnic mix. Students change their views after being exposed to new ideas so ideologies from the hometown and upbringing can be modified by being at UW. </p>