Civil Eng -How to add minor in degreeworks?

<p>Incoming freshman son in civil enginnering & CBHP wants to add history minor to Degreeworks. He has spoken to professors in engineering who say it is possible. How does he go about getting this added? He was on the system last night and had this question.</p>

<p>Any info or advice for civil engineering & CBHP would be helpful also. He is in the first BB session and wants to be prepared.</p>

<p>My S is in Civil. We haven’t been able to add a minor in degree works (when you choose the change major/minor option in MyBama it gives you a box to change major, but there isn’t a box for a minor). </p>

<p>I know the advisors have the ability to add a second major, so I assume that they will need to add the minor at least for Civil students (not sure if this is an issue for anyone else). My son has mentioned to his advisor on more than a couple occasions that he is a Spanish minor, but it has never been added to his DegreeWorks account. I’m wondering if perhaps the Spanish dept advisors also have the ability as he may have better luck with them. The lack of having it appear in DegreeWorks has not resulted in any trouble registering for courses and an ‘As If’ scenario can be created to check requirements, but I do hope to get it added before he graduates.</p>

<p>If you have any questions about civil let me know and if I don’t have an answer, I’ll pass it on to my S. But the first couple years are pretty straight forward. He’s not in CBHP, but I know plenty of others on here have kids that are and can answer those questions.</p>

<p>I’m not sure that you can add it until you’ve gotten the signature for the minor. Both of my kids added their minors after they started, so I’m not sure if/how it’s done before Bama Bound.</p>

<p>If son wants to add second major is their a deadline to do that? A certain number of hours?</p>

<p>SpaceCoastMom, congrats on CBH! I think an advisor will have to add the second minor and it may not happen before they are actually taking classes. That is what we were told last year when D wanted to add a second major. She was able to get it added easily after school began, but she had to stop by and ask an advisor to do so. Now she needs to add a second minor and I think she’ll have to stop by advising for that as well.</p>

<p>Thanks so much for the great information! Son has another question. We cannot see the teachers listed for the sections in Degreeworks. How do you know who is teaching the section of the course, and is ratemyprofessor.com the best way to get feedback?</p>

<p>I think you have to keep checking and slowly the TBAs will disappear, but it might not be until later in the summer for some of them. That was the case for us last year. </p>

<p>Ratemyprofessor is a good place to check out professor info. I got a chuckle out of this weeks Honors College newsletter. It included a checklist for registration (honors students have priority registration this week) and the last item was to hit up ratemyprofessor with a “(like we had to tell you)” right under that. I don’t know who does the HC newsletters but they are very creatively done. </p>

<p>You still have to filter what you read on RMP. We consider the class that is being rated as well as whether the student is most likely majoring in that subject or not. But it is very helpful. </p>

<p>Even more helpful is another service that UA does not participate in that actually graphs the grades a prof gives out. We definitely found that helpful for my oldest who went to a different university. If a prof gave 80% C’s and 10% D’s, we knew he should avoid that class! I don’t remember if we got that info on RMP or Pick-a-Prof, but UA doesn’t seem to disclose it.</p>

<p>To select a second major…</p>

<p>If a current student, go to the College of that second major and get the correct form.</p>

<p>If you are an incoming frosh, a second major can’t be declared until after school starts.</p>