Civil Eng/HU-FL credit / CLEP test

<p>Evaluating the need to take the CLEP Spanish test.
Honors S is reviewing degree req’ments for Civil Eng as relate to HU/FL credit. It looks like 9 hours are required - 3 of which must be a public speaking course. The other 6 hrs could be achieved with joint credit for honors courses that also meet HU-FL requirements.
It seems as long as he takes Honors classes that fall in the HU-FL category, any CLEP credits may not fill a need. Anyone been down this road or have insights?</p>

<p>My D got 14 credits from the Spanish CLEP test. As a business major she doesn’t need FL credits, and she only needed 6 of them for her Humanities credits (she’s not an engineering major, so her humanities requirements are a bit different). And next semester she’s taking another humanities course (that she wants but now doesn’t need), so she really will only have needed 3 of those credits. However, those extra 14 credits, whether applied to her degree requirements or not, have helped her in terms of registration priority as well as housing room selection priority. On that basis alone they were worth the approximately $90 we paid for the CLEP test. D didn’t do anything to prepare for the test, so the expense was the only issue. Also if she decides to complete IHP, she has the language requirement for that taken care of.</p>

<p>Unless one might run into issues with meeting satisfactory academic progress requirements for federal financial aid (no federal funding after earning 180 undergraduate credits from all sources unless one successfully appeals the decision), it makes sense to take the CLEP exam and earn credit that might earn him a higher academic standing or prove helpful in some other way, such as when he’s applying to jobs after graduation.</p>

<p>Another reason to take the Spanish CLEP test. If you are hoping to be inducted into Phi Beta Kappa… I think there may be a foreign language requirement. So, the CLEP credits would be useful for that reason as well as the reasons stated in previous posts.</p>

<p>From a website: “The demonstration of knowledge of a foreign language equivalent to completion of the intermediate college level (that is, two years). This requirement may be met by a proficiency test.”</p>

<p>I couldn’t find a PBK list of requirements on Bama’s website.</p>