Class of 2013: Journalism majors

<p>I’ll be attending Drake University in Des Moines, IA this fall. My actual major is called “News/Internet.” </p>

<p>I too wish this thread was more active!</p>

<p>Oh, and the News/Internet major is basically the new term for “print,” but I’ll also be learning online and multimedia my first semester.</p>

<p>Yeah, I guess there just aren’t a lot of journalism majors for our class? </p>

<p>What kind of publications does Drake have? U of I has a paper called the Daily Illini, a long with a few magazines. Unfortunately, they don’t have a news broadcast show :/.</p>

<p>Drake has The Times Delphic, it’s twice weekly newspaper, a LOT of magazines (Drake has one of the best, if not, the best, magazine programs), a radio station (94.1 The Dog) and it has a broadcasting station. That’s one of the reasons why I chose Drake; the array of opportunities to get involved in student media.
What made you choose U of I? As an Illinois resident, I applied there, but it was just too big for me. Really nice campus though. :)</p>

<p>I’m from Illinois too (guess that’s obvious)! I chose it based on cost; surprisingly, they were the cheapest option. Even UIC would have cost more. I would have rather gone to Fordham or Miami (FL), but I’d rather avoid the debt. I’m not sure whether or not I’ll be going to grad school, but I’d rather be safe than sorry.</p>

<p>I think that’s the best way to go nowadays; the cheaper options, especially for a journalism degree. But I’m sure you’ll still be happy! U of I is great!</p>