Class of 2016 Early Action Decisions Thread

<p>Decision: Accepted </p>

<p>Scholarship: Collegiate Scholarship </p>

<p>Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 1900 (680 W, 640 CR, 580 M)
ACT: 27
SAT II: Did not send
GPA (UW/W): 3.65/4.5
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 24/643
AP (place score in parenthesis): English (3), Spanish (3)
AP Pending: Chemistry, Human Geography
Dual-enrollment: American History 1, American History 2, Biology, Physics, College Algebra, Pre-calculus, English 101,
Senior Year Course Load:
Semester 1
AP Human Geography
Dual-enrollment Biology
D-E Physics
D-E College Algebra
Semester 2
AP Chemistry
Government/Economics Honors
D-E Pre-calculus
D-E English 101
D-E American History 2
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): No major awards, just a few minor ones</p>

<p>Subjective:
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Foreign Language National Honor Society (President), English National Honor Society (Vice-President), Science National Honor Society (Secretary), played ice hockey 9th-11th grade
Job/Work Experience: Cashier at Exxon Mobile gas station over summer, worked at a restaurant during my junior year
Volunteer/Community service: Museum of Discovery and Science, 400+ hours
Summer Activities: Went to the University of Chicago for 3 week summer program, got an A in the class. Went to Johns Hopkins University for 2 week summer program, passed (p/f)
Essays: Really personal essay. I described an interesting event that occurred in my life and how I learned from the experience and it has shaped who I am today.
Teacher Recommendation: 1 from counselor, 1 from Biology/Human Anatomy teacher, 1 from world history teacher, 1 from my teacher from the University of Chicago summer program. I read the counselor, bio teacher, and history teacher recommendations and they were beyond amazing. I couldn’t have asked for better letters of rec!
Counselor Rec: see above
Additional Rec: see above
Interview: Nope</p>

<p>Other
Applied for Financial Aid?: No
Intended Major: Chemistry/pre-med although I will be switching to Biology most likely.
State (if domestic applicant): Florida
Country (if international applicant):
School Type: Public
Ethnicity: White
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): None
Reflection: Both of my parents attended UM and my older sister now attends UM. I was in contact with the admissions officer for legacy applicants. I definitely think my legacy helped me out. I really doubted that I would get in because of my SAT scores! But just goes to show that you never really know and can’t predict these things! I’m very happy and my entire family is too. My mom said she was proud of me :’)
Strengths: Extracurriculars, depth in music, course load, ACT
Weaknesses: SAT scores, should have done a few more AP instead of dual-enrollment just because I heard that colleges like AP better.
Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: ^Legacy played a role, and I think my extracurriculars/letters of rec/jobs helped me out too.
Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Rejected from Johns Hopkins and Notre Dame, Deferred from UChicago, Aceepted to University of Colorado-boulder. Still waiting to hear back from a lot of colleges but will get rejected from the majority of them. I think my options will be between UM and Syracuse. tough one for me.</p>

<p>General Comments: To be honest, I was getting used to the idea of getting rejected compared to other people’s stats. Seeing that congratulations made me and my family so ecstatic! I will be going down to UM next weekend just to take a really good look at the university and to check out the science/pre-med department. My sister is more on the rich girl/preppy girl sorority/superficial side of UM so i’d really like to see the university in a different light, since i’ll be on the nerdy, always in the library, scientific research side. I’m very happy though!!!</p>

<p>Pick one:
[ size=+2][ color=green][ b]Decision: Accepted[ /b][ /color][ /size]</p>

<p>[ b]Objective:[ /b][ list]
[ *] SAT I (breakdown):1860
[ *] ACT: 30 superscored (28, 29)
[ *] SAT II: Literature 700 US History 620 World History 630
[ *] Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.8, 5.2 weighted
[ *] Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 8 out of 234
[ *] AP (place score in parenthesis): US History 4, English Lang3, Psych 3
[ *] IB (place score in parenthesis):
[ *] Senior Year Course Load: AP English Lit, AP Environmental, Dual Enrollment, and Honors
[ *] Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.):
Only AP Scholar at my school 2011, Student of the Year in Spanish III, U.S. History, and AP English Lit, Smith Book Award, typical A Honor Roll school awards</p>

<p>[ /list][ b]Subjective:[ /b][ list]
[ *] Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Founder and President of College Bound: A Precollegiate Club, President of NJHS, Dance Troupe, Prom Committee, PreMed Club, Precious Pearls
[ *] Job/Work Experience: Two summer jobs at CVS/Pharmacy and Goin’ Postal
[ *] Volunteer/Community service: Extensive. 240 hours total in the Food Bank, for school clubs, Obama campaign
[ *] Summer Activities: Dual Enrollment
[ *] Essays: Great imo
[ *] Common App Main: Good. Talked about how my trip to New Orleans and seeing the street performers inspired me to reach for my dreams despite my socioeconomic status
[ *] EC Short Answer: Talked about my committment to Precious Pearls Youth Group
[ *] “Profile” questions:
[ *] Intellectual Vitality Essay:
[ *] Letter to Roommate Essay:
[ *] What matters to you and why? Essay:
[ *] Teacher Recommendation: Great! One from my AP US teacher who loves me and knows me well, and the other from my AP ES teacher
[ *] Counselor Rec: Great! She loves me! And really demonstrated my committment to Miami
[ *] Additional Rec: Included a letter from Senator Aide John Jones who I worked under volunteering for the Obama campaign
[ *] Interview: didn’t have one, missed it :(</p>

<p>[ /list][ b]Other[ /b][ list]
[ *] Applied for Financial Aid?: ABSOLUTELY
[ *] Intended Major: Athletic Training and Exercise Physiology, pre-PT
[ *] State (if domestic applicant): Florida
[ *] Country (if international applicant):
[ *] School Type: Small public, IB school
[ *] Ethnicity: Black
[ *] Gender: Female
[ *] Income Bracket: <30k
[ *] Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): URM, first generation, visited the campus</p>

<p>[ /list][ b]Reflection[ /b][ list]
[ *] Strengths: GPA for sure! Essay, letters of rec, demonstrated interest, EC’s
[ *] Weaknesses: ACT score I guess
[ *] Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: I have demonstrated interest for about two years now, and have the credentials
[ /list][ b]General Comments:[ /b] I’m super stoked! I got the Dean’s Scholarship $16k!! Honestly, I wasn’t expecting any scholarship money! The U is my #1 choice, and I will be sending in my enrollment deposit!</p>

<p>**Decision: Accepted **
+$24,000 Scholarship
+Singer/Stamps March 2-3 invite
</p>

<p>Objective:
-SAT I (breakdown): 1320 (650 CR, 670 M, 800 W)
-ACT: 35
-Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.93
-Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 35/476, 7%
-AP (place score in parenthesis): Bio (5), WH (4), USH (4), Eng Lang (5), Calc AB (4), Psych (5)
-Senior Year Course Load: AP Spanish, AP Calc BC, AP Env Sci, Web Design 4, Teacher Assisting 2, Senior Survival, Economics H, Law/Court, English 4 H.
-Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): none</p>

<p>Subjective:
-Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): FBLA (President), National Honor Society, Spanish National Honor Society, National Technical Honor Society, Rho Kappa, Mu Alpha Theta, FL Public Service Association
-Job/Work Experience: 25 hrs/week as a cashier at a drugstore.
-Volunteer/Community service: ~125 hours in tutoring, working with the elderly, and helping the needy.
-Summer Activities: Two highly selective leadership camps (local-area).</p>

<p>Essay: Very good; expressive of tremendous growth through a particular experience.</p>

<p>-Teacher Recommendation: Very good
Counselor Rec: Probably extremely generic; my counselor doesn’t recognize or know me by name.
-Additional Rec: none</p>

<p>Other
-Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
-Intended Major: Neuroscience; switching to Computer Science
-State (if domestic applicant): FL</p>

<p>-Ethnicity: Hispanic
-Income Bracket: Very low
-Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): URM</p>

<p>Reflection
-Strengths: Academics, well-roundedness
-Weaknesses: Pretty light course load throughout HS (only 9 total AP courses)
-Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Highly competitive applicant academically, with substantial extracurricular activities to round me out; URM (Hispanic); and well-spoken, even conveyed in writing.</p>

<p>Can’t wait 'til Singer/Stamps!!!</p>

<p>Decision: Accepted </p>

<p>Objective:</p>

<p>SAT I (breakdown): 1360 (700 CR, 660 M)
ACT: 29
SAT II: N/A
GPA (UW/W): 3.5714 / 4.6122
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 74 / 544
AP (place score in parenthesis): AP US History (4), AP Government (4)
AP Pending: Micro, Macro, English, Stats, Psychology, Enviro
Senior Year Course Load: See above
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.):</p>

<p>Subjective:
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Lacrosse team (Fresh/Soph, team disbanded after sophomore yr.), Debate.
Job/Work Experience: Umpire, Concession Stand work, Receptionist at a law firm
Volunteer/Community service: Youth basketball coach, Boys and Girls club
Summer Activities: Receptionist, Boys and Girls club
Essays: Decent, nothing special
Teacher Recommendation: Good
Counselor Rec: Not sure
Additional Rec:
Interview: N/A</p>

<p>Other
Applied for Financial Aid?: N/A
Intended Major: Sports Management
State (if domestic applicant): FL
School Type:
Income Bracket:
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): Legacy</p>

<p>Reflection
Strengths: Legacy, Test scores, Extracurriculars.
Weaknesses: GPA, Essay?</p>

Scholarship: None :frowning: </p>

<p>Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 500M, 560R, 620W
ACT: 24 (didn’t send)
SAT II: 640Bio, 560Math Level 1, and my most hated score 490 in Lit
GPA (UW/W): 2.88/4.512
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 18/870ish
IB (place score in parenthesis): 5 in Biology, 5 in psych(didn’t send since I am doing it higher level)
Senior Year Course Load: IB courses are English, Spanish, Psychology, Theory of Knowledge/research, Math Studies, and Contemporary History. Honors psych and Ap changed to dual enrollment psychology,
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.):</p>

<p>Subjective:
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Ecology( Vice president), Gay Straight Alliance, UNICEF, FBLA, Model UN, BAND, Chess,
Job/Work Experience: none
Volunteer/Community service: 250 hours from volunterring at ING races
Summer Activities: none
Essays: Wrote about me being gay and how my friends accepted me and still supported me.
Teacher Recommendation: Good
Counselor Rec: Good
Additional Rec:
Interview: No</p>

<p>Other
Applied for Financial Aid?: yes
Intended Major: Psychology in pre-Med
Country (if international applicant): USA
Ethnicity: Black
Income Bracket: $15,000-20,000
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): Gay and Black</p>

<p>Reflection
Strengths: GPA (only sent weighted), essay, recommendations, extracurriculars
Weaknesses: SAT scores
Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: I think I got accepted since I showed them my weighed GPA and I am in the IB program.
Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Accepted to UCF and USF</p>

<p>General Comment
Although I am happy to be accepted I really hope and pray I get the George Jenkins scholarship since it is what determines if I can go.</p>

<p>Decision: Accepted</p>

<p>Objective:[ul]
[<em>] SAT I (breakdown): N/A
[</em>] ACT: 33 (35 E, 34 M, 35 R, 29 S, 12 W)
[<em>] SAT II: N/A
[</em>] Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.91
[<em>] Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 9 of 116
[</em>] AP (place score in parenthesis): USH (5), English L&C (5), Psych (3)
[<em>] IB (place score in parenthesis): N/A
[</em>] Senior Year Course Load: AP Lit, AP CalcAB, AP Bio, AP EnvSci, AP EuroHist, Speech and Debate 4, Library Worker
[li] Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): State Champion in LD Debate, Telluride Association Summer Program (TASP) Participant, NCTE Excellence in Writing Award, National Merit Semifinalist, National Hispanic Scholar</p>[/li]
<p>[/ul]Subjective:[ul]
[<em>] Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Speech/Debate (Co-Captain), Improv Comedy (Co-Captain), Creative Writing, V Swimming (Co-Captain), Wikipedia Worker, National Litmag (Editor)
[</em>] Job/Work Experience: N/A
[<em>] Volunteer/Community service: City Youth Council, Habitat for Humanity
[</em>] Summer Activities: TASP :), writing, visiting family (in miami!), etc.
[<em>] Essays: Very good; strongest part of the application.
[</em>] Common App Main: A comparative commentary on my various experiences with improv.
[<em>] EC Short Answer: About how I write poetry.
[</em>] Teacher Recommendation: Didn’t see.
[<em>] Counselor Rec: Didn’t see.
[</em>] Additional Rec: N/A</p>

<p>[/ul]Other[ul]
[<em>] Intended Major: English
[</em>] State (if domestic applicant): LA
[<em>] Country (if international applicant): N/A
[</em>] School Type: Public, non-charter
[<em>] Ethnicity: Latino and Middle Eastern
[</em>] Gender: M
[li] Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): 1/2-URM</p>[/li]
<p>[/ul]Reflection[ul]
[<em>] Strengths: Essays and ECs
[</em>] Weaknesses: Class rank and ACT
[li] Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: I met the major academic requirements and had some nice awards.[/li][/ul]General Comments: I applied because I have extended family here and would have strongly considered attending had I received the Stamps or Singer scholarships. I got the Dickinson’s ($20K), but I have $22K/yr to USC and prefer the latter. Still weighing all my options, though it looks like UM is off the list, sadly.</p>

<p>Hey DJacks! I did the Jenkins scholarship too and haven’t heard back! I think we have a good chance of winning, because I literally know of no one who has did this scholarship, everybody did the Hammond!</p>

<p>University Scholarship: 24k/yr</p>

[<em>] SAT I (breakdown): 2000 (730 CR, 600 M, 670 W)
[</em>] ACT: 30
[<em>] SAT II: Didn’t take
[</em>] Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): ~3.5UW/3.8W
[<em>] Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): School doesn’t rank at all
[</em>] AP (place score in parenthesis): Didn’t send
[<em>] IB (place score in parenthesis):
[</em>] Senior Year Course Load: AP English Lit, AP Calculus AB, Honors World History, Honors Physics, Advanced Band II, Yearbook
[li] Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): National Achievement Semifinalist</p>[/li]
[<em>] Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Harry Potter Alliance (Co-founder), Book Club (Co-president), Band (Section Leader), Key Club, National Honor Society
[</em>] Job/Work Experience: Summer job during sophomore year and an internship at a pro bono law clinic.
[<em>] Volunteer/Community service: 100+ hours
[</em>] Summer Activities: Duke TIP Pre-law Institute, and political science class at Tulane
[<em>] Essays: Pretty good.
[</em>] Common App Main: I think it was good. I wrote about how my experiences driving helped me to break out of my shell.
[<em>] EC Short Answer: I wrote about my work in the Harry Potter Alliance. I think it really conveyed how passionate I am about the organization.
[</em>] Teacher Recommendation: Good I’m sure.
[<em>] Counselor Rec: As far as I know, it was really good. I’ve had a good relationship with my counselor since freshman year.
[</em>] Additional Rec:
[li] Interview:</p>[/li]
<p>[/ul]Other[ul]
[<em>] Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
[</em>] Intended Major: Political Science
[<em>] State (if domestic applicant): Louisiana
[</em>] Country (if international applicant):
[<em>] School Type: Charter
[</em>] Ethnicity: Black
[<em>] Gender: Female
[</em>] Income Bracket:50,000-55,000
[li] Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): URM, first generation</p>[/li]
<p>[/ul]Reflection[ul]
[<em>] Strengths: I think some of my extracurriculars were pretty different and interesting. I definitely showed that I was committed to them.
[</em>] Weaknesses: I got some C’s in my junior year.
[<em>] Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Overall, I think I had a pretty solid application. I’ve been interested since sophomore year and tried to attend any event held in the New Orleans area.
[</em>] Where else were you accepted/waitlisted, rejected: Accepted: Tulane, Loyola New Orleans Deferred: Georgetown
[/ul]General Comments: I’m very excited. Miami has been my first choice since sophomore year. Based on the requirements online, I didn’t think I’d qualify for any scholarship, much less the University Scholarship.</p>

<p>REJECTED EARLY ACTION</p>

<p>SAT 1930 total 650 CR 640 M 640 W
3.8 UW GPA 4.5 W
AP Latin, AP US history, Ap US Gov, AP Calculus AB, AP Macroeconomics, AP microeconomics (got A’s in all these classes)</p>

<p>Figure skater
Involved member in Latin Honors Society
Involved in different community service projects and volenteer work ( I dont really want to spend time listing them)
Had my parents and my guidance counselor look over my essay and advise me on it </p>

<p>Florida Resident
Hispanic
Female</p>

<p>It’s shocking and really hurtful, I wasn’t a reach candidate, but I got outright rejected from UM.</p>

<p>skatespin, based on what you’ve listed here I’m surprised you got rejected also. Had you asked someone to “chance” you, I would have guessed accepted with maybe a small merit scholarship - worst case would have been a waitlist.<br>
I’m not sure if there is a way you can appeal this - others are more knowledgeable about that than I. Do you have anyone in UM admissions that you were working with - or a regional rep? Perhaps your HS guidance counselor can advise here too.
Wish you the best.
~Zinc</p>

<p>“accepted with maybe a small merit scholarship - worst case would have been a waitlist”</p>

<p>That’s what I thought too, so that’s why i’m so shocked, if it had been a school I knew was a reach then I would have accepted the decision, but this seems a bit unfair, it’s like they didn’t even bother to read my application. I am going to try to maybe speak to a guidance counselor at my school about what I can do, but I really don’t know if there is anything that can be done, the worst part is feeling so helpless.</p>

<p>[ size=+2][ color=green][ b]Decision: Accepted[ /b][ /color][ /size]</p>

[ *] SAT I (breakdown):1340 (720m, 620R)
[ *] ACT: 30
[ *] SAT II:
[ *] Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.4UW 3.7W
[ *] Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): N/A
[ *] AP (place score in parenthesis): AP Psych AP Calc AP Gov
[ *] IB (place score in parenthesis):
[ *] Senior Year Course Load:
[ *] Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.):</p>

[ *] Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): played football all 4 year
[ *] Job/Work Experience: never had a job
[ *] Volunteer/Community service: over 150 hrs
[ *] Summer Activities:
[ *] Essays: good
[ *] Common App Main:
[ *] Teacher Recommendation: didn’t read but i think it was good
[ *] Counselor Rec: good i think
[ *] Additional Rec: none
[ *] Interview: yes</p>

[ *] Applied for Financial Aid?: no
[ *] Intended Major: civil engineering
[ *] State (if domestic applicant): CO
[ *] School Type: Public
[ *] Ethnicity: White
[ *] Gender: Male
[ *] Income Bracket: >200,000
[ *] Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): none</p>

[ *] Strengths: SAT
[ *] Weaknesses: GPA
[ *] Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected:</p>

<p>[ size=+2][ color=green][ b]Decision: Accepted[ /b][ /color][ /size]</p>

<p>$16,000 ScholarShip: Not really sure of the range of money they gave out, but hopefully the Aid kicks in for the rest.</p>

[ *] SAT I (breakdown):1410 (720R, 690M, 670 W) SuperScore: 2080
[ *] ACT: Didn’t Take Em
[ *] SAT II: Biology-670, Math 1- 700
[ *] Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.8683
[ *] Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 11/228
[ *] AP (place score in parenthesis): AP Biology- 5
[ *] IB (place score in parenthesis): Never Took Them
[ *] Senior Year Course Load: AP US History, Sociology, British World Literature, AP Chemistry, AP Calc AB, Physics
[ *] Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Honor Roll, All four Years, National Honor Society, Saint Anselm Book Award, Collab Publication Award.</p>

[ *] Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Soccer: All Four Years, 2 years Varsity, 3 Years of Indoor and Outdoor Track, Varsity all three years NHS- 2 years (Public Relations Manager), Peer Mentorship Group 1 year (Mentor), Peer Leadership Group 2 years (Group Leader), Students for Asian Cultural Awareness, (President), Student Council (Representative 3 years), (Northeastern Regional Advisory Board Member), SSAC- (State Student Advisory Board Member). Math League, 4 year member, Chess Club- Board 3
[ *] Job/Work Experience: Islamic Studies Tutor Assistant
[ *] Volunteer/Community service: 250+ Hours
[ *] Summer Activities: Community Service, and Summer Soccer
[ *] Essays: Great
[ *] Common App Main: I did the common app.
[ *] Teacher Recommendation: Read them Both, very good
[ *] Counselor Rec: Very Good
[ *] Additional Rec: none
[ *] Interview: Nope</p>

[ *] Applied for Financial Aid?: Yeah
[ *] Intended Major: Neuroscience
[ *] State (if domestic applicant): MA
[ *] School Type: Public
[ *] Ethnicity: Bangladeshi
[ *] Gender: Male
[ *] Income Bracket: <30,000
[ *] Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): Don’t really know what that would be, maybe URM. </p>

[ *] Strengths: SAT, GPA, EC, (Well Rounded)
[ *] Weaknesses: SAT 2 Bio.
[ *] Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: I thought I was a pretty well rounded candidate. So that definitely played a big role. </p>

<p>So far: UMass Amherst, UConn, Deferred from UMich, and got the metaphorical boot from UNC Chapel Hill. </p>

<p>Comments: For everyone that got in, Congrats, enjoy the rest of your senior year. For all the deferred, I wish you the best of luck for admissions.</p>

<p>I’m mobile at the moment so I can’t really post all of my stats, but I got deferred (kinda figured that would happen to be honest). </p>

<p>SAT: 1140/1740 (1200/1800 super-scored)
ACT: 28 (31 english, 29 reading, 25 math, 27 science)</p>

<p>GPA: 3.4 uw 3.9 W</p>

<p>-AICE program candidate
-Dual Enrollment
-Yearbook editor, part time job, community service, etc.</p>

<p>Comments: Honestly, getting deferred helped me make up my mind even more. Call me impatient, but the longer I wait for an answer from UM, the more I’m sure that my other top choice is a better fit.</p>

Pre-Med/College of Arts & Sciences</p>

<p>SAT I (breakdown): 1790, 540 CR, 640 M, 610 W
ACT: 25
SAT II: Biology 570, Math I 640 (All my scores were really low)
GPA (UW/W): Weighted: 4.3, No UW
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 13/408
AP (place score in parenthesis): Environmental Science 4, Microeconomics 3
AP Pending: Macroeconomics, Biology
Senior Year Course Load: AP Biology, AP Macroeconomics, Honors Spanish 4, Honors Calculus 2, Honors English
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Student of the Month? lol</p>

<p>Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Student Government (Treasurer), National Honor Society (Vice President), Chorus, Spanish Club, SADD, Math Club, Library Club, Track, Chair/Co-Chair of various events (Diabetes Walk, Homecoming, etc.)
Job/Work Experience: Lifeguarding, Babysitting
Volunteer/Community service: Hospital Volunteer (200+ Hours), President of an international volunteer group for my town.
Summer Activities: Nothing out of the ordinary.
Essays: Talked about how my dad’s disability inspired me to become a doctor.
Teacher Recommendation: Goood.
Counselor Rec: Didn’t see it, but I assume it was good.
Additional Rec: None
Interview: None</p>

<p>Other
Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
Intended Major: Pre-Med, Biology?
State (if domestic applicant): PA
Income Bracket: Lower Middle
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): first generation. </p>

<p>Reflection
Strengths: Extracurriculars, Volunteer work, Passionate for the school
Weaknesses: Test scores :frowning: not my strong point.
Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: My SAT scores did not reflect my potential and I think they saw that.
Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: UPitt (top choice up until now) :)</p>

<p>General Comments: I wish I had gotten a scholarship, but I am more than happy just to be accepted considering my test scores. I am proof that you do not need phenomenal scores to get in, just show that you want to be there. </p>

<p>Congrats to everyone! :)</p>

<p>**Decision: Accepted **</p>

<p>Scholarship: $20,000 and Singer Invite</p>

<p>Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 600 M, 670 W, 690 CR
ACT: 33
SAT II: None
GPA (UW/W): 3.6/4.5
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 7/405
AP (place score in parenthesis): Psych (4), Lit (3)
Senior Year Course Load: All IB</p>

<p>Other
Applied for Financial Aid?: No
Intended Major: Undeclared
State (if domestic applicant): Florida
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): Legacy</p>

<p>Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 670 M, 580 CR, 640 W
GPA (UW/W): 3.5/4.47
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): Top 20% (highly competitive school)
AP (place score in parenthesis): Psych (5) US Hist (3)
AP Pending: Micro Econ, Macro Econ, US Govt, Human Geo</p>

<p>Subjective:
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Psych Honor Society (President), Student Gov (Secretary), STAND, Model UN, Track and Field (Varsity each year)
Job/Work Experience: none
Volunteer/Community service: 100+ hours
Summer Activities: took English 1102, 1102 and Sociology 2000 dual enrolled
Essays: How I identified myself with where I live before and after my move to FL
Teacher Recommendation: fantastic
Counselor Rec:I guess it was good
Additional Rec: -
Interview: -</p>

<p>Other
Applied for Financial Aid?: yes
Intended Major: undecided
School Type: Top Public High School in FL
Ethnicity: Black
Income Bracket: 75,000 - 100,000
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): -</p>

<p>Reflection
Strengths: Extra Curriculars
Weaknesses: SAT and UW gpa
Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: I’m well-rounded enough
Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: accepted to Fordham, UCF, and FSU, deferred to UMich</p>

<p>Accepted!</p>

<p>I have a question though. I was invited to the Singer scholarship weekend earlier today via email, however I only received the 20k/yr scholarship on my online acceptance letter. I was under the impression that only those who were given the 24k/yr got the Singer nomination. Is it normal for both recipients of the University scholarship and Dickinson scholarship to be nominated for the Singer scholarship?</p>

<p>Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 1760: CR 540, M 660, W 560
ACT: 26
SAT II: 590 Biology, 550 Chemistry
GPA (UW/W): 3.4/4.4
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): Top 10%
AP (place score in parenthesis): U.S. History 4, Biology 1
AP Pending: Chemistry, Macroeconomics, U.S. Government & Politics, English Literature & Composition
Senior Year Course Load: Pharmacy Technician 2 (2 periods), Pre-Calculus, AP Chemistry, AP Macroeconomics/U.S. Government & Politics, AP English Literature & Composition
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Silver Knight nominee</p>

<p>Subjective:
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): HOSA, SECME, FBLA, and NHS.
Job/Work Experience: None.
Volunteer/Community service: Memorial Hospital West (296.5 Hours) and Mount Sinai Medical Center for pharmacy clinicals.
Summer Activities: None.
Essays: I thought my essays were pretty decent, to say the least. :slight_smile:
Teacher Recommendation: I had three recommendation letters. They were all from 2 teachers and one counselor. I believe the teacher-made ones were way better, especially the one from my my current AP Chemistry teacher.
Counselor Rec: The counselor one was not that great, since I’m not close to her in any way.
Additional Rec: None other.
Interview: Didn’t have one.</p>

<p>Other
Applied for Financial Aid?: YES! It’s expensive to go to UM.
Intended Major: Chemistry. :slight_smile:
State (if domestic applicant): Florida.
School Type: Very competitive. Only A school in the district, and one of three A public high schools in the county. Valedictorian has a GPA of 6.1 and is going to Cornell.
Ethnicity: Hispanic. I’m from Miami. Of course I’m Hispanic.
Income Bracket: $20,000 - $30,000
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): First generation</p>

<p>Reflection
Strengths: Definitely my heavy course load, my EC’s, and my transcripts.
Weaknesses: No leadership and low test scores (compared to others)
Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: I, honestly, don’t know. It’s a shock, really. I didn’t think I was going to get in, but I did. I’m guessing it was just because of my strong grades, and pretty good GPA.
Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: I was deferred from UChicago early action.</p>

<p>General Comments: I’m really in shock. I’m so happy, though! I was with a group of friends at the moment. My friend, Juan, told me he got in and told me to check. I was careful in checking. When I saw that I got accepted, I hugged him and everyone clapped for us. :)</p>

<p>Scholarship: Awarded Dickinson for 20k/year and selected as finalist for Stamps/Singer</p>

[<em>] SAT I (breakdown):N/A
[</em>] ACT: 33 (34 Superscored)
[<em>] SAT II: N/A
[</em>] Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.45, 3.65W
[<em>] Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): N/A
[</em>] AP (place score in parenthesis): US History (4), English Lit (3)
[<em>] IB (place score in parenthesis): N/A
[</em>] Senior Year Course Load: AP Spanish Lang, AP English Lang, Multivariable Calculus, Physics 2, History Elective
[li] Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): None</p>[/li]
[<em>] Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Student Government President, Junior Class President, Cross Country (Captain), Editor-in-Chief of Production of School Newspaper, Section Editor of Yearbook
[</em>] Job/Work Experience:
[<em>] Volunteer/Community service: 200+ Hours of international service in Morocco, Peru, Spain
[</em>] Summer Activities: Internship in Boston for July 2011, international programs to Morocco, Peru, and Spain
[<em>] Essays: I think great
[</em>] Common App Main: About music and effect on me.
[<em>] EC Short Answer: about cross country, very good
[</em>] Teacher Recommendation: i’m guessing great
[<em>] Counselor Rec: i hope great
[</em>] Additional Rec: great
[li] Interview: N/A</p>[/li]
<p>[/ul]Other[ul]
[<em>] Applied for Financial Aid?: No
[</em>] Intended Major: Psychology, with Premed Concentration
[<em>] State (if domestic applicant): MD
[</em>] Country (if international applicant):
[<em>] School Type: Private
[</em>] Ethnicity: White
[<em>] Gender: Male
[</em>] Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): None</p>

<p>[/ul]Reflection[ul]
[<em>] Strengths: Essays, Extracurriculars, ACT
[</em>] Weaknesses: GPA
[li] Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: I’m so glad I got in, and honestly so surprised I was selected as a finalist for the Stamps scholarship!</p>[/li]
<p>[/ul]General Comments: Good luck to everyone. We’ll all end up somewhere great!</p>