Class of 2016 Early Action Decisions Thread

<p>Mine is still not updated and it’s Wednesday!!
What is going on? I’m seriously baffled.</p>

<p>You must be in a later batch - seems flawed that some folks would be receiving there snail mail packages and others wouldn’t have heard in their myUM yet. Are you sure everything was received properly for your EA application? Saw some posts over the weekend about students who thought everything was all set only to find out one thing or another was not…may be worth a call to admissions if you haven’t already.</p>

<p>My d is still waiting as well. She called and was told that decisions are still coming out over the next days. The FB page, U of M class of 2016 states that as well. It’s just so frustrating when all of her friends already know!</p>

<p>I got accepted last friday, but I never received my acceptance package lol. anyone else with the same problem?</p>

<p>Decision: Accepted
Scholarship: University+Singer/Stamps Invite</p>

<p>SAT I (breakdown): 2250 (720 CR, 790 M, 740 W)
ACT: n/a
SAT II: n/a
GPA (UW/W): UW 4.0, W 4.0
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): Top 10%, 20 out of 280
AP (place score in parenthesis): AP Calculus AB (5), AP US History (n/a)
AP Pending: AP Calculus BC, AP Microeconomics, AP Macroeconomics, AP Spanish Language, AP Statistics
Senior Year Course Load: Human Physiology, AP Spanish Language, AP Statistics, AP Economics, AP Calculus BC, English 12
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): n/a</p>

<p>Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Varsity Soccer 10, 11, 12 (Captain Senior Year), Varsity Tennis 9, 10, 11, 12 (Captain Junior and Senior Year)
Job/Work Experience: Worked at a science camp
Volunteer/Community service: About 150 hrs at a tennis and education program for underprivileged kids in North Portland
Summer Activities: Backpacking the heck out of North America
Essays: About meeting my cousin from Togo
Teacher Recommendation: English and Math Teachers, had junior and senior year. Probably very good
Counselor Rec: Probably very good
Additional Rec: n/a
Interview: n/a</p>

<p>Other
Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
Intended Major: Economics
State (if domestic applicant): Oregon
Country (if international applicant): n/a
School Type: Top Tier Public High School
Ethnicity: White
Income Bracket:> 100,000
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): n/a</p>

<p>Reflection
Strengths: I’m a good writer so my essay probably helped me a lot and my test scores.
Weaknesses: Did not take many AP classes, really should have because I probably would have kept a 4.0 regardless b/c I work hard
Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: I think I had a strong, angular application. My ECs were focused, my test scores were stellar, my grades were great, and I think my essay was decent. Personally, I think that my letters of rec were probably outstanding, but I don’t know how much of a factor that really is. If it plays a big one, then that definitely could have put me over.
Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Accepted: University of Oregon, University of Denver (Chancellor’s Scholar~19,000/year), Santa Clara University (Dean’s Scholar~17,000/year), University of San Diego, Seattle Pacific University (Trustee’s Scholar~14,000/year), Chapman University (Presidential Scholar~25,000/year), Waitlisted: University of Southern California (I think I will get in, but I wasn’t invited to interview for their half and full rides. This was my top choice, so it is quite unfortunate.) Also applied to Columbia and University of Washington but have not heard back yet.</p>

<p>General Comments: Really, I don’t know how I got the Stamps/Singer invite because I feel like there are a lot more people qualified than I am, but I’ll take it I guess. I applied to Miami out of the blue because I just wanted to apply places on both coasts, and Miami was highly ranked and warm. I applied to Columbia solely on hopes that legacy plays a huge role, but I think I won’t get in there. But anyways, I’m really excited to visit Miami and hope that I like it because it seems like an amazing opportunity!</p>

<p>dingdongbell, I’m in the same boat as you. Hoping it arrives in the next few days.</p>

<p>Same here…</p>

<p>Decision: Accepted with 24k scholarship!</p>

<p>Major: Pre-Med (Biology and Psychology)
GPA: 4.34
SAT: 2130
Senior Year Courses: AP MicroEcon, AP Gov, AP Lit, AP Bio, AP Stat, AP Spanish
Legacy: Mom graduated from UM :slight_smile:
Ethnicity: Ethiopian
Why I think I was accepted: I prayed very much. It matters, I promise.</p>

<p>Good luck / congratulations (:</p>

<p>Decision: Accepted!
Scholarship: $24,000 (University)</p>

<p>Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 1970 - don’t remember breakdown
ACT: 32 (much better than SAT xD)
SAT II: Literature (670) and US History (780)
GPA (UW/W): School just does weighted - 4.213
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): School doesn’t rank
AP: All 5’s: World History, US History, English Lang, Psychology
AP Pending: Calculus AB, Government, English Lit, Environmental Science
Senior Year Course Load: Pretty decent; pending APs listed above, oceanography, and creative writing
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Kind of? Best-in-state with projects for FCCLA competitive events 10th and 11th grade, then competed in national conferences representing VA (silver both times)</p>

<p>Subjective:
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis):
FCCLA - officer 11th and 12th grade, member since 9th, super active with events/community service/etc.
Karate - since 2008, brown belt, competed in regional tournament (1st in my division)
Volunteer/Community service: NHS activities, writing center at school
NHS, FHS
Job/Work Experience:
Karate dojo since summer 2009 (year-round since 2010)
Summer Activities: Been working at my karate school’s summer camp every summer since 9th grade
Essay: I liked it, got good reviews!
Teacher Recommendation: One for sure pretty fantastic, other one who knows? Hopefully good xD
Counselor Rec: Considering my old counselor (who I had a great relationship with) left before the start of senior year, I don’t think it was too personal, but I met with the new guy and showed initiative, which I think helped
Interview: Informal interviews during my visit to campus; met admission counselor and marine science coordinator</p>

<p>Other
Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
Intended Major: Marine Science/Biology
State (if domestic applicant): VA
School Type: Public
Ethnicity: White
Income Bracket: Around 100,000 ish
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): I lived abroad most of my life</p>

<p>Reflection
Strengths: Passion for activities clearly demonstrated, GPA, international experience
Weaknesses: SAT maybe? I think they only looked at my ACT though
Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Showed a huge amount of interest, fit profile pretty well?
Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Accepted: Eckerd College, still waiting to hear back from others</p>

<p>General Comments: First choice, super excited! Now to somehow make the finances work! :D</p>

<p>Accepted!
Scholarship: Dickinson… 20,000 / year</p>

<p>Gpa… 3.54
honors: 9</p>

<p>SAT I (breakdown): na
ACT: 34
SAT II: 710 math, 710 literature
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): top 10%? out of like 30
AP (place score in parenthesis): AP COMP- 5
Senior Year Course Load: honors phsyics, ap calc, honors world lit, modern history, gov/econ, personal finance, competetive debate…
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): n/a</p>

<p>Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): triathalon team 10,11… fh 9,10 swim team captain 12… literary magazine, debate team
Job/Work Experience: none
Volunteer/Community service: 3 year presidents, cirac 400 hours
Summer Activities: what activities?
Essays: about an internship and how i matured from it
Teacher Recommendation: history, phsycis. one is excellent ohter, idk
Counselor Rec: Probably very good
Additional Rec: n/a
Interview: n/a</p>

<p>where else into: Northeastern, LMU, College of charleston, Loyola new orleans</p>

<p>honestly really confused why i got in or got a fat scholarship… but im not complaining.</p>

<p>I’m late but . . .</p>

<p>Decision: Accepted</p>

<p>Objective:[ul]
[ *] SAT I (breakdown): 1820. 570 CR, 630 math, 650 writing
[ *] ACT: none
[ *] SAT II: Literature - 650
[ *] Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): My school doesn’t do unweighted. 4.901 weighted.
[ *] Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): top 10%
[ *] AP (place score in parenthesis): none
[ *] IB (place score in parenthesis): predicted grade of 38!
[ *] Senior Year Course Load: IB HL Eng, HL History, HL Economics. SL French, SL Math, SL Biology
[ *] Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): n/a</p>

<p>[/ul]Subjective:[ul]
[ *] Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): A lot. Organizing a center for the rehabilitation of the paralyzed. Sports for four years. Dance Club. Co-coaching. Assisting teacher during the summer.
[ *] Job/Work Experience: none
[ *] Volunteer/Community service: Around 250 hours of community service
[ *] Summer Activities: Coaching at a local district school, helping out with the underprivileged.
[ *] Essays: Pretty good. About diversity and my life as an international student. How it affected my life choices and everything.
[ *] Common App Main: Read above.
[ *] Teacher Recommendation: I didn’t see them. But guessing they’re pretty okay.
[ *] Counselor Rec: Didn’t see.
[ *] Additional Rec: None
[ *] Interview: None</p>

<p>[/ul]Other[ul]
[ *] Applied for Financial Aid?: Nope
[ *] Intended Major: Pre-law
[ *] School Type: Private, international school
[ *] Ethnicity: Asian
[ *] Gender: F
[ *] Income Bracket: 25000/year
[ *] Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): None</p>

<p>[/ul]Reflection[ul]</p>

<p>[ *] Strengths: I honestly don’t know. Probably my ECs and essay.
[ *] Weaknesses: SAT score
[ *] Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: I really have no idea but I’m excited! (:
[ *] Where else accepted: University of San Francisco, SUNY Buffalo, BU
[/ul]General Comments: Nothing really! Just happy!</p>

<p>Congrats suzzyxx!! Question: were you offered a merit scholarship at UM?</p>

<p>What time of the day have they been releasing decisions?</p>

<p>Is anyone still waiting on an early action decision? My d has called twice asking if something is wrong with her app; they tell her no and that she will have a decision at the end of the week! What week, LOL? We don’t want to annoy them but everyone else at her school found out 2 weeks ago. We would really like to know!!!</p>

<p>Thanks for your note. My son is also waiting for his early action decision letter.</p>

<p>Tholiver, did you call the office or get any additional info?</p>

<p>Sooooo disappointing the way UM handled these EA decisions. Maybe they need some new blood in their IT department?</p>

<p>He has not yet contacted the staff, although his UM account indicates the application has been sent to admissions committee for consideration.</p>

<p>Decision: Accepted (Early Action)</p>

<p>Objective:</p>

<pre><code>[ *] SAT I (breakdown): (2070) CR 610 MATH 740 WRITING 720
[ *] ACT: none
[ *] SAT II: MATH2C 800 / US History 680
[ *] Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.62/4.0 , 4.32
[ *] Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): My school doesn’t rank
[ *] AP (place score in parenthesis): AP US 4 , AP Economics Micro 5/ Macro 5
[ *] IB (place score in parenthesis) None
[ *] Senior Year Course Load: AP French, AP Government, AP Calculus, AP Literature
[ *] Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): None
</code></pre>

<p>Other</p>

<pre><code>[ *] Applied for Financial Aid?: no
[ *] Intended Major: Business
[ *] School Type: Private in PA
[ *] Ethnicity: Asian
[ *] Gender: M
[ *] Income Bracket:
[ *] Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): Common APP essay
</code></pre>

<p>Reflection</p>

<pre><code>[ *] Strengths: My common app essay?
[ *] Weaknesses: GPA (not bad, not good)
[ *] Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: My scores fit to this school… I guess
[ *] Where else accepted:
</code></pre>

<p>General Comments: i’m still waiting for other schools but U Miami is one of my top choices.</p>

<p>@ZincWhiskers</p>

<p>Thank you! (: Unfortunately, no I was not. I guess it has something to do with my awful SATs.</p>