***Class of 2016 NMSF/NMF Qualifying Scores

^agreed

@96redse5sp I believe what @raingate meant was be grateful that people are posting their scores so the rest of us can figure out the cutoffs.

Just heard from my son and a 213 in KY qualified.

I just got notified by my GC!!! My 210 makes it in Utah! The cutoff must be less than or equal to 209, because the next-highest score in the school was a 209 and GC said we have 2 SF. I’m overjoyed! The wait is over. . . at least until January. Are they supposed to give us the letters? My school isn’t really used to NMSC and actually asked me if I had been informed of my status, evidently not realizing that they were responsible for notifying me.

@UTilitarian they should give you a letter with a description of next steps and log-on information. CONGRATULATIONS! (I think they have to log-on first and print out the letters for each student.)

In La., just heard from GC that my D’s 209 did not make the cut off.

Has anyone heard anything regarding the cutoff in PA? I’m kind of nervous due to my borderline score (217).

Updating based on recent reports:

AL=? (post #?, per GC/NMSC/HSL (homeschool letter)/other)
AK=?
AZ=?
AR=?
CA= <=223 (post #726) letter to principal
CO=?
CT=?
DE=?
DC=?
FL=?
GA=?
HI=?
ID= <=213 (post #811) HSL
IL=?
IN= <=218 (post #772) letter to school
IA=?
KS=?
KY=<=213 (post #822)
LA= >209 (post #825)
ME=?
MD=?
MA=?
MI= <= 213 (post 648 HSL)
MN=?
MS=?
MO=?
MT=?
NE=?
NV=?
NH=?
NJ=?
NM=?
NY= <= 219 (post #714 student report)
NC=?
ND=?
OH=?
OK=208 (post #750) cutoff informed by principal
OR=?
PA =?
RI=?
SC=?
SD=?
TN=?
TX=?
UT=<=210, possibly 209 (post #823)
VT=?
VA=?
WA=?
WV=?
WI=?
WY=?

Commended (national cutoff) = 202?

@hestia55

Thank you for posting. I am very sorry that your daughter’s score didn’t make the cut.

The numbers for LA were very strong this year, so I am not surprised to see the cutoff go up. The numbers were stronger for this year for LA than for any of the previous six years that I looked at.

Do all the scores go up together or is it different for each state? For example, would it be possible for one states scores to go up will others go down, or would all states see an increase

@chemistryye They are independent of each other.

Last year most states’ scores dropped between 1 and 4 points. Some stayed the same. Arkansas and Wyoming went up 1 point.

Do they usually follow a trend upwards or downwards or is it completely random

Private school in Memphis called College Board today. No info yet there. :frowning:

national merit said today on the phone that all semifinalist letters were mailed out on Aug 25

Thanks for confirming @tbh2000. They told me that on the 26th but I was starting to question myself!!!

After all these other state results, can someone please predict if Michigan will stay at 210? It seems like the scores are going up everywhere. Does anyone have an updated analysis or prediction? Thanks.

Do letters go out to all qualifiers or just those who are home schooled? In other words, are in-school students left to the mercy of whenever GC’s choose to tell them?

@chemistryye

The states definitely will not all move in the same direction. The larger states are generally better correlated, though.

@divider I would guess that MI stays at 210. The linear regression gave 209.4. Caveat emptor

all letters are mailed to the school principal- it just so happens that home school students’ parents are their kids’ principals. so everyone is at the “mercy” of their school’s process- be it slow US mail, slow school processing mail, misunderstanding when they are supposed to tell the kids, and whatever things could interfere with a day’s work - sick employees, other more pressing issues, etc. It’s a really busy time in most schools so i can see delays occuring.

Are these letters mailed to the school or the student? Sorry to be ignorant but this is all new to me.