Class of 2017 Official RD Decisions Thread

<p>I haven’t gotten my official admissions letter yet, it was online. And you’re from Newport? Too cool! Are you going to the []_[] in the fall?</p>

<p>Decision: Waitlisted</p>

<p>Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 2050 740 CR, 620 M, 690 W
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.05/3.65 W
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): School doesn’t rank
AP (place score in parenthesis): Psych, APES, APUSH, German, Government (Didn’t submit scores)
IB (place score in parenthesis): N/A
Senior Year Course Load: AP German, AP Gov’t, Honors Econ, Honors LA, Chorus, Honors Biotechnology, Pre-Calc.
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Girl Scout Gold Award
Subjective: Quadruple legacy
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Girl Scouts, Local Opera Charity board member, church choir, poetry published in school journal, teen reviewer for a magazine used by librarians in book selection
Job/Work Experience:
Volunteer/Community service: 345 hours community service
Summer Activities: Internship with USDA (won in competition with others from around the country), German immersion program which enabled her to skip to AP level, Talented Teen Writers workshop (selected due to Scholastic Art and Writing Award), volunteer CIT at Girl Scout camp
Essays: Good enough to get her accepted everywhere else she sent the Common App
Teacher Recommendation: Good
Counselor Rec: Good
Other: Not too many APs, but she was in a magnet program that required her to take a science class every year in addition to the usual sciences required by the county, so she has 8 years of science (mostly honors except one year of APES) in 4 years of high school.
Strengths: SAT scores, recs, Girl Scout Gold Award
Weaknesses: GPA
Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: GPA, probably should have applied EA, but since it was a reach school, wasn’t going to apply at all, then decided to apply once she saw how well other colleges were responding to her applications.
Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: UF, Clemson, several other schools (over-applied!), no other rejections or waitlists</p>

<p>@cincygirl, yes I haven’t received my official admission letter yet either. And I would love to go to the []_[] in the fall, but it depends on FA, and I have a couple other colleges to here from. What about you?</p>

<p>@Tyler7501, Same here! Ohio State has admitted me to honors but I really don’t want to go there. The []_[] is my first choice and if the FA is there, then i’m definitely going.</p>

<p>Decision: Accepted </p>

<p>So incredibly blessed, here to help future applicants and everyone else,</p>

<p>Objective:
ACT:34
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.0
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 5/196
AP (place score in parenthesis): Human Geo (4), World Civ (5), USH (4), Calc AB (5), Bio (5), English Lang (4)</p>

<p>Senior Year Course Load: Ap Calc BC, Ap German, Ap Physics, Independent Studies in Directing, Ap Us Gov, Ap English Lit
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Ap Scholar with Distinction </p>

<p>Subjective:
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Cappies Theatre Critic Team (Lead Critic), Drama Club (Treasurer), Academic Team (Co-Captain), National Honor Society (Treasurer), National English Honor Society (President), German Club (Officer), Junior and Senior Class Officer (Class Rep), National Math Honor Society, National German Honor Society, Freshman Mentor (Lead Mentor Council),
Volunteer/Community service: A lot of Tutoring in school disciplines, as well as volunteer work within the community theatre department.
Summer Activities:Hugh O Brian Youth Leadership Ambassodor, Kentucky Governor’s Scholars Program, Western Kentucky University Drama Intensive, and Press for the Cincinatti Fringe Festival
Essays:I love writing and plan to pursue screenwriting, so I wrote a very emotional and personal essay to play towards my strengths
Teacher Recommendation:Read both of them, made me cry
Counselor Rec: I didn’t read it, probably generic and nice:
State (if domestic applicant):Ky
School Type:Public
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.):Only child living in Kentucky</p>

<p>Reflection
Strengths:Extra Curricular Activities, and Essays
Weaknesses:Community Service
General Comments:I’m so incredibly blessed to gain entrance into the University of Miami, speechless and thrilled!</p>

<p>@Cincygirl I hear yea! I was accepted into Ohio University’s Honors Tutorial College of Film, which was an honor, but I’m just feeling out some other options which includes the University of Miami.</p>

<p>Decision: Accepted</p>

<p>Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): Did not submit
ACT: 33 Composite; 35 English; 33 Reading; 33 Science; 29 Math
SAT II: Did not submit
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.6 ish (Weighted is 3.74 and my school does not do unweighted
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 20%
AP (place score in parenthesis): 12 total
IB (place score in parenthesis):
Senior Year Course Load: AP Physics C, AP Bio, AP English Lit, AP Gov, AP Econ, AP Calc AB
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): AP Scholar
Subjective:
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Eage Scout, 2 year Varsity Soccer, Club Soccer,
Job/Work Experience: Started a pet sitting business in 2007 which has garnered a state level award
Volunteer/Community service: Boy Scouts, Childrens Camp counselor in Seattle, WA
Summer Activities: See Above
Essays: Common App essay on how Boy Scouts is really about knots, but the kind that a scout ties with his community rather than the literal knots
Teacher Recommendation: One from English Lit teacher that was fabulous and one from AP Physics teacher/JV soccer coach which was also great I’m sure
Counselor Rec: Very nice
Additional Rec:None
Interview:None
Other
State (if domestic applicant): Colorado
Country (if international applicant):
School Type: Nationally recognized public school
Ethnicity: White
Income Bracket: 60,000>
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): None
Reflection
Strengths: ACT, ECs, Volunteering, Course Load, Esssay
Weaknesses: GPA and Class Rank
Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: My strengths ^^^
Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Miami was my first response so hopefully I find out soon!
General Comments: Very happy, I got a 14k scholarship. Hopefully the rest of the cost will be covered with Fin Aid. If not, I will probably not be able to attend.</p>

<p>I was waitlisted as well. I’m not sure whether or not I’ll choose to remain on the wait list. Congratulations to all who were accepted!</p>

<p>Decision: Accepted with $14000/yr President’s Scholarship :)</p>

<p>Objective:
• ACT: 33 Composite, 35 English, 36 Reading, 32 Math, 28 Science
• SAT II: Chemistry (730)
• Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.54, but I go to a private where an A- is a 3.5
• Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): School doesn’t rank
• AP (place score in parenthesis): Chemistry (4), English Language and Composition (5), AP Computer Science (4)
• Senior Year Course Load: 3 APs, 2 honors
• Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.):</p>

<p>Subjective:
• Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Varsity Ice Hockey (assistant Captain 1 yr), JV field hockey (4yrs Captain), Astronomy Club (Co-President), Admissions Office Student Leadership (President, 4 yrs)
• Job/Work Experience: None
• Volunteer/Community service: 2 years at a hospital, 2 years running dog rescue club at school
• Summer Activities: None, had to take care of family
• Essays: Fantastic, spent a lot of time slaving over them
• Teacher Recommendation: 2, 1 from 4yr field hockey coach and US history teacher and 1 from AP Chemistry teacher
• Counselor Rec: 1, was fantastic as he was also my world history teacher for 1 year
• Interview: Did not interview</p>

<p>Other
• State (if domestic applicant): IL
• School Type: Private
• Ethnicity: White
• Income Bracket: over $100k/yr
• Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): First generation</p>

<p>Reflection
• Strengths: ACT, ECs
• Weaknesses: No interview, no visit, GPA
• Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Case Western (a w/ scholarship), U of Pittsburgh (a w/ scholarship), Washington University in St. Louis (w)</p>

<p>General Comments: Did not visit u of Miami.</p>

<p>so anyone else have a decision yet? :)</p>

<p>Decision: Accepted with $18K annual merit scholarship.</p>

<p>SAT I: 2280 (800 CR, 750 M, 730 W)
ACT: N/A
SAT II: 800 in US History, 740 in Literature
Unweighted GPA out of 4.0: 3.53
Rank: 3rd Decile (in the most competitive class in my high school’s history)
AP: US History (5), English Language (5), Biology (5), Government (TBD), Latin (TBD), European History (TBD)
IB: N/A
Senior Year Course Load: AP Gov, AP Euro, AP Latin, AP English Lit, Honors Anatomy, regular Calculus, African-American History
Major Awards: N/A</p>

<p>Extracurriculars: Senior Class Student Council (Vice President), Latin Club (co-President), NHS, Newspaper, Jewish youth group (local board member), participated in a two-year Middle East journalism class at Columbia, participated in a two-year program on the philanthropic process
Job/Work Experience: clerk at a law firm
Volunteer/Community service: worked all summer long as a volunteer camp counselor at a summer camp for disadvantaged kids in my area
Summer Activities: see above
Essays: wrote about gradual self-improvement as something that is more about the journey rather than about the destination
Teacher Recommendation: I signed a FERPA waiver, but I assume they were pretty strong (they were from my junior-year AP English Language teacher and my Latin teacher, whom I’ve had for 4 years)
Counselor Rec: again, FERPA. I assume it was okay
Additional Rec: N/A</p>

<p>Interview: N/A
State: New Jersey
School Type: Public
Ethnicity: White/Jewish
Income Bracket: top 5 percent of households in the US
Hooks: not quite sure what this means!</p>

<p>Reflection
Strengths: some fairly unique extracurriculars and what I felt was a very strong essay; also, my standardized tests (SAT’s & AP’s)
Weaknesses: lack of any athletic participation/somewhat underwhelming academic performance
Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: I think my standardized testing and extracurriculars really propelled me to admission, and especially helped me get an annual merit scholarship award of $18K.
Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Accepted to Rutgers Honors, Rejected from UNC Chapel Hill, Deferred from Princeton and Michigan</p>

<p>I haven’t been checking the portal for the last few days so I guess my decision would be on there, but I was surprised and excited to get a big envelope in the mail today! I got a 25k per year presidential scholarship too.</p>

<p>Objective:</p>

<pre><code>* SAT I (breakdown): 2390 (800 M 800 CR 790 W)

• ACT: 36 (35 science)
  • SAT II: 800 US History, 800 Math 2
  • Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.97
  • Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 32/about 900
  • AP (place score in parenthesis): Psych, Calc BC, US History, English Lang/Comp all 5s
  • IB (place score in parenthesis): N/A
  • Senior Year Course Load: AP Micro/Macro, Spanish, Chem, Bio, Honors English electives
  • Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): National Merit Finalist, AP Scholar with Honor, Cum Laude, Science/Spanish honors society, selected to attend an Argonne National Laboratory Women in Science conference, Illinois State Scholar, Presidential Scholar applicant
    </code></pre>

<p>Subjective:</p>

<pre><code>* Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis):
Dance is the main one, 10+ hours/week, perform with local company, sent in art supplement
Piano since age 5, School newspaper staff writer (11th), news editor (12th), Founder/co-president of South Asian cultural club this year, Model UN, JV tennis 9th-11th grade

• Job/Work Experience: Paid dance teaching assistant (5th-9th grade), research internship at UChicago science lab (last summer)
  • Volunteer/Community service: school service club, local food pantry since July 2012
  • Summer Activities: dance, tennis, babysitting, dance festival tour summer 2010 in Austria, research last summer
  • Essays: edited by parents. I liked it :). (Meaning common app essay)
  • Teacher Recommendation: sophomore year English teacher (current newspaper advisor) and junior year APUSH teacher, should both have been good
  • Counselor Rec: huge school so maybe generic but she thinks I’m smart
  • Additional Rec: One from the professor I did research under
  • Interview: Nope, didn’t get offered one
    </code></pre>

<p>Other</p>

<pre><code>* State (if domestic applicant): IL

• Country (if international applicant):
  • School Type: large, decent public (3000+ students)
  • Ethnicity: Indian
  • Income Bracket: not sure but didn’t apply for FA
  • Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): Nopeeee
    </code></pre>

<p>Reflection</p>

<pre><code>* Strengths: test scores, well-rounded ECs, essay, recs

• Weaknesses: ORM, not much demonstrated interest
  • Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: strong stats and well-roundedness?
  • Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: got a likely from UPenn, deferred SCEA from Harvard, waitlisted by WashU. waiting on the rest
    </code></pre>

<p>General Comments: so excited and surprised about the scholarship! good luck to everyone else!!</p>

<p>Decision: Accepted
SAT I: (1390/1600) (2060/2400) 660CR 730M 670W
SAT II: Lit: 680 US Hist: 660
Unwt. GPA: 3.35 (4.08 wt.)
AP: Literature (4) Art Hist (4)
Senior Year courseload: AP Bio, AP Psychology, IB English HL, IB History/Civics, Math Studies SL</p>

<p>Varsity Cross Country and Track
Model United Nations
Essays: Strong
Recommendations: Solid</p>

<p>State: CA
Public School
Middle Eastern
Male
First Generation</p>

<p>English Major</p>

<p>It’s incredibly expensive so I hope I get some form of aid or it’s a no-go</p>

Presidential Scholarship $25,000</p>

<p>Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 2310 - 800 CR, 780 Math, 730 Writing
ACT: n/a
SAT II: 800 Chemistry, 750 US History, 780 Math II, 800 Chinese w/ Listening
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.94 (4.34 weighted)
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): n/a
AP (place score in parenthesis): 5’s in US History, Calculus BC, Chemistry; 4 in Stats
IB (place score in parenthesis): n/a
Senior Year Course Load: Community college math course in the first semester, light workload second semester
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): NMF, AP Scholar with Honor, Silver in USOMC for Piano</p>

<p>Subjective:
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Piano, various school clubs (not science, community service, or math based)
Job/Work Experience: n/a
Volunteer/Community service: Retirement Home volunteer
Summer Activities: UCSD Academic Connections, Neurobiology lab intern
Essays: I am very proud of my common app.
Teacher Recommendation: Junior year English and Chemistry teachers–favorable recs.
Counselor Rec: So-so.
Additional Rec: n/a
Interview: n/a
Other
State (if domestic applicant): California
Ethnicity: Asian-American
Income Bracket: 150-200k
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): n/a</p>

<p>Reflection
Strengths: Essay, letters of rec, and my scores are not too bad
Weaknesses: Extracurriculars
Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: My numbers are high enough, and my essay showed my character well.
Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Rejected from Stanford EA, Accepted into UC Irvine’s CHP + Regents, Accepted into Northeastern University’s 6-year Pharmacy Program with (hopefully) full scholarship from NMF, Accepted into Washington University in St. Louis</p>

<p>General Comments:
I was hoping for a larger scholarship which would place Miami into strong consideration. 25k is wonderful, but at Northeastern I’ll have full scholarship, so… yeah! Good luck everyone!!</p>

<p>Objective:</p>

<pre><code>SAT I: 2330
ACT: 31
SAT II: 730 on Spanish without listening, 800 on English
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.69
Senior Year Course Load: All IB
Major Awards: Nothing outside of school and the community
</code></pre>

<p>Subjective:</p>

<pre><code>Extracurriculars: President of a few clubs, dance, cheer
Job/Work Experience: Interning with a great non-profit!
Volunteer/Community service: Plenty
Summer Activities: Internship took up most of my time
Essays: I think they were pretty solid
Teacher Recommendation: He said he had too much to say - I’ll assume that’s a good thing!
Counselor Rec: Great
Additional Rec: Great
Interview: Didn’t have one
</code></pre>

<p>Other</p>

<pre><code>State: California
Ethnicity: Asian
Income Bracket: >100,000
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): none in particular, I think
</code></pre>

<p>Reflection</p>

<pre><code>Strengths: My essays, SAT scores, and my recs.
Weaknesses: Grades. Not as good as I’d like them to be!
Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: I definitely think it was a combination of my SAT score, my essay, and the fantastic recommendations that my teachers and counselor wrote me. So thankful for them!
Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Haven’t heard back from any yet.
</code></pre>

<p>I received the Presidential Scholarship for $25,000 - so jazzed about that! Good luck to all of you <3</p>

<p>Decision: Accepted to the School of Communication (Journalism)</p>

<p>SAT I (breakdown): Did not take
ACT: 31 (33 super-scored)
SAT II: Did not take
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.6
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): School does not rank
AP (place score in parenthesis): Did not report
IB (place score in parenthesis): School does not offer IB
Senior Year Course Load: Heavy load with AP and Honors classes
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): National Achievement Commended
Subjective: Multi-cultural: Latino/Afro-Caribbean
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Had own television program on local cable TV station.
Job/Work Experience:<br>
Volunteer/Community service: See above.
Summer Activities:<br>
Essays: Good
Teacher Recommendation: Excellent
Counselor Rec:
Additional Rec:
Interview: Did not interview
Other
State (if domestic applicant): Midwest
School Type: Very competitive public school
Ethnicity: Multi-racial
Income Bracket: Upper
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): URM
Reflection: None
Strengths: Experience having own television show, high ACT scores.
Weaknesses: GPA could have been higher
Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: ECs and ACT score
Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Accepted to Syracuse, University of Missouri, University of Minnesota, Marquette University.</p>

<p>Congratulations and good luck to those who were admitted.</p>

14,000 dollars a year Presidential Scholarship
School of Communications: Undecided </p>

<p>Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 2010 (680 W 680 M 650 R)
ACT: Did not submit
SAT II: Did not take
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.0
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): Top 20 percent
AP (place score in parenthesis): U.S. History (4), Composition and Language (4)
IB (place score in parenthesis):
Senior Year Course Load: AP Micro/Macro Economics, AP Literature, AP Euro, Honors Physics, AP Statistics
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.):
Subjective:</p>

<p>Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Student Council (President, Board of Ed Rep) Model U.N. (Vice President) Competition Dance Team (Founder, Captain), National Honor Society, German Honor Society, Competitive Dancer
Job/Work Experience: Intern for Consulting Firm, Birthday Party Hostess/Substitute Dance Team
Volunteer/Community service: lots
Summer Activities:
Essays: very strong
Teacher Recommendation:very strong
Counselor Rec: strong
Additional Rec: from the principal
Interview: During my junior year I had an informal interview with Admissions Counselor, which I believed helped me
Other</p>

<p>State (if domestic applicant):NJ
Ethnicity: White
Income Bracket:
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): First generation, loyal to school
Reflection
Strengths: Extra circulars, letters of rec, loyalty to school (showed interest freshman year), GPA, essays
Weaknesses: SAT
Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: My strengths above
Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Accepted to Tulane, waiting to hear back from other schools</p>

25K presidential scholarship</p>

<p>Objective:[ul]
[<em>] SAT I (breakdown): 2210 (660 M, 800 CR, 750 W)
[</em>] ACT: 34 (33 E, 31 S, 34 M, 36 R, 12 essay)
[<em>] SAT II: 790 Lit, 740 Spanish w/Reading, 620 Math II (did not send)
[</em>] Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.97
[<em>] Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): School does not rank; top quartile
[</em>] AP (place score in parenthesis): Euro (5), Lang (5), Enviro (5), Spanish (5), Gov (5), Music Theory (4, did not send)
[<em>] IB (place score in parenthesis): N/A
[</em>] Senior Year Course Load: AP Lit, AP Micro, AP US, Calc AB, Advanced/Honors Physics, Forensics, Newspaper
[<em>] Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): NMF, AP Scholar with Honor, Top 8 nationally in my speech event
[/ul]Subjective:[ul]
[</em>] Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Speech and debate (team captain of an event/debate, 10th at CFL nationals, one of 8 students invited to a tournament in my events, 2x state qualifier, 2x NFL nationals qualifier, NFL All American, Degree of Premier Distinction, lots of local awards - attached a sheet with extra info), Journalism (school newspaper Web EIC, EIC of teen page of local paper, member of panel of local student journalists), Mock Trial (A-team), NHS, Link Crew (did not note on application)
[<em>] Job/Work Experience: private tutor
[</em>] Volunteer/Community service: NHS, Link Crew
[<em>] Summer Activities: Internship with high-profile Senate campaign, state summer honors academy, NCFL nationals, private tutoring
[</em>] Essays: Everyone who read them liked them and I was very happy with how they turned out. Spent a ton of time on them.
[<em>] Teacher Recommendation: Should’ve been above average, but nothing incredibly special.
[</em>] Counselor Rec: He knows me pretty well, so fairly good, I assume.
[<em>] Additional Rec: N/A
[</em>] Interview: N/A
[/ul]Other[ul]
[<em>] State (if domestic applicant): Midwest
[</em>] Country (if international applicant): USA
[<em>] School Type: Competitive public
[</em>] Ethnicity: White
[<em>] Gender: Female
[</em>]Income Bracket: 250K+
[<em>] Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): None
[/ul]Reflection[ul]
[</em>] Strengths: I think speech and debate was the strongest part of my app, along with my essays.
[<em>] Weaknesses: No really huge national awards. Test scores high enough for UM, but will be a weak point for some other schools, as will be my GPA since it’s below 4.0.
[</em>] Why you think you were accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Mostly my academic record, combined with extracurricular involvement.
[li] Where else were you accepted/waitlisted/rejected: Accepted at Emory (13K), USC (interviewed for full tuition; no results yet), Rhodes (invited to Scholarship Symposium), Trinity U in TX (invited to Trinity Towers Scholars Day), ASU, Alabama; deferred from Princeton (legacy)[/li][/ul]General Comments: Exciting news! Disappointed not to get a Singer invite; after USC, I really thought I had a shot. Oh well. At this point, I do not plan on attending (probably will go to USC). Congrats to everyone else who got in!</p>

<p>just got a Singer invite via email! Does anyone know how that works? Do we have to go down to Miami for the weekend event April 5-6 for the interview and everything to be considered for the scholarship? Because they don’t pay for it…do they?</p>

<p>Yes, you must go and attend all events to be considered for the Singer scholarship. You’re talking about a shot at a prize worth over $170,000. Miami doesn’t cover any of the expenses except to offer shuttles to/from a few select hotels, plus dinner on Friday and lunch on Saturday. </p>

<p>In the past, candidates who did not win the Singer were generally given either an extra 2k or 4k per year in the form of a Gables scholarship, which basically reimbursed us for the travel expenses of the weekend.</p>

<p>Figure out a way to attend, you won’t regret it.</p>