Class of 2024 MT Artistic Acceptance Notifications: How/When/Where

@singoutlouise Hi, I’m also an infrequent poster here. We went through this process last year.with my D. I also did not find CC very late into audition season.

My D only applied to 4 audition based schools and 2 non-audition safety schools.

You can imagine my panic when I kept seeing that you should apply to 18-25 schools to at least get 2-3 acceptances. It was too late to add schools.

To make a long story short, she had 4 Yes, 1 waitlist and 1 no. She did have a balanced list of schools, though we didn’t plan it like that, as we were so clueless at the time. The best part is she got into the school she fell in love with from day one, and yes, she did visit the school and sat through some classes beforehand.

Sometimes I get a bit anxious when I read some the posts and I’m rooting for each and every student here to be planted where they will thrive. Good luck to all!

Just adding some helpful info. University of Miami has already offered scholarships and acceptances and so has Wright State so they are both rolling which must be different from last year. Regarding the discussion of Harrt, there are spots left. They do not have a substaintial fill ratio like say Michigan (75% of kids accept) so when people decline plenty will open.

@Davale22 That was way too easy! Congratulations on skipping the madness!

@BloomingGirl I look back now and I’m kind of glad I didn’t fin CC until late in the game, otherwise I would not have skipped the madness. BUT you have no idea how I panicked! I lost plenty of sleep and even started looking into a gap year thinking she was going to be completely shut out.

She had more faith so I tried not to show how worried I was. Also, no one understood or could relate to my panic at all. They thought I was crazy when I tried to explain the process of applying to more than 18 schools and we had no clue. When I share our experience, it does seem like it was easy…but I’ll tell you I never want to experience that anxiety again. My D did meet with her guidance counselor but I guess she really had no clue regarding MT at all. We did learn a huge lesson through this experience. Just glad it’s behind us.

I don’t want to update the whole list because I don’t have full information, but I did hear of someone who got a “no” from CCM today, so they are starting to notify.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that Miami isn’t rolling and that they have announced for the students who applied early decision and early action only. As far as I know, they’ve all received a yes, no, or a “we’ve moved you to the regular decision date” email at this point. I don’t think Miami has announced yet for anyone who applied regular decision?

@tchumath Miami does not have rolling admissions -They have an ED, ED2, and EA - through that forum some people may have gotten acceptances and scholarships depending on when they auditioned and if they signed a binding contract. This is different than schools that have rolling admissions. Students who auditioned for RD will hear when everyone else does. This is for UMiami in general not just MT - for instance, they just came out with ED2 - you may know somebody who got accepted - but that’s not rolling admissions. I don’t know about the other schools you mentioned.

This process is brutal… March seems far away. Our experience- 20 applications, 11 prescreen schools (passed 5: 1 acceptance, 1 rejection, the rest waiting), 4 audition non prescreen schools (1 rejection so far), 5 BA non audition schools. I wish we added some straight acting to the list when we started out. Some of those programs seem to audition in a more comprehensive manner. This process is discouraging.

Hang in there @runnernyc ! It can be so demoralizing! Just be the cheerleader, stay positive for your kid. This is the time when days drag and some programs won’t release decisions for another 6 weeks so find something to do that isn’t refreshing application portals and make sure to do something to celebrate being done with auditions.

My D and I are on a plane now flying to another audition and are reading the comments from yesterday with regards to the number of schools to apply to. I am not sure there is a number that is right for everyone. It really comes down to what you and your child are comfortable with. We had a coach but it was difficult to assess what would be considered “safety” versus not. A “safety” last year may not be one this year because everyone heard it was a “safety” and applied there. We were aware of the lottery ones and had a few in the mix just to see but did not overload them. What really drove our number was that my D had a few very talented friends shut out last year and she didn’t want to be in the position. She also did not want a BA program so we did not include any in the mix so that made our list a little larger. We both feel you have to be really on for your auditions to get in. All the auditions she felt she did not perform at her best at she has been rejected from. So far the ones she knew she was on for she has received offers or notified she is still in consideration. She was sick 2 audition weekends so those we knew would be No’s (2 we already heard from with No). You can’t perdict the illnesses so keep that in mind as well and spread the auditions out. We ended up with 32 auditions (we had a few walk-ins) and we now have 5 options on the table (one from a walk in). I would encourage walk-ins. My D had fun doing them. They were less stressful then the ones that she pre-screened for. NYC had a lot of them/a little less in Chicago. We feel blessed to be in position we are now. I do feel having the larger list made my D more comfortable/less stressed during the process. The hard part now is going to be making a decision. I would also like to say my D did determine as we went along that she did not want a conservatory only school (after visiting a few). This is something I wish we had determined earlier as we could have reduced the list by a few. We did not visit schools before the process to save money since we knew it would be expensive traveling to the auditions so her feelings evolved as we moved along through the season. I suspect that happens to a lot of kids. My D also did not want to get herself attached to any schools since she knew the odds for many of them. I wish every the best of luck with the rest of the seaons! I am hopeful everyone finds the perfect place and program for themselves. BAL

@runnernyc Thank you for bringing up the issue of Acting programs. When my D started this process she was looking exclusively at MT programs. Only midway through the process, once she stated to get a number of redirects to acting did we go back to her audition coach and voice teacher and learn that many Acting program have great crossover with MT programs and, even where this is not true, one can often use one’s (albeit limited number of) electives for dance and voice lessons. In fact, it has been pointed out to me that MANY Broadway (and other) MT roles are filled by folks with Acting (not MT) degrees. I am posting this for future (and gap year) families because I feel as if there were other strong Acting programs that we did not consider because they did not “pop” on the MT lists. Since those auditions do not require vocals and dance, my D’s illness woudl have impacted them less and she her weakness in dance would not have impacted her as much as it seems to have impacted her at heavy dance programs.

Yep I used the wrong language. Was just trying to point out that not all wait until March to hear … some that auditioned early have heard which isn’t on the list.

The big list here on this tread is for regular decision. We didn’t include ED/ED2 and EA dates because 1) it’s a small subset of MT artistic notifications and 2) the schools that offer these tiers (like UMiami) specifically list the dates and requirements on their web site and admission materials, so there’s not so much mystery around the process…

The Big List from late March 2019 and all 2019 information is in [BRACKETS]. Things may be different for 2020 - when you update with 2020 information, please remove everything in brackets and note the 2020 date in your update. Thank you!

Updated FSU per information from ALL4FSU

American - [Notifying 3/18 via snail mail]
Arizona State - [3/14 and rolling via email]
Baldwin Wallace–[Fall early auditions have been notified. Will notify 3/7 via email for those who auditioned after Nov.]
Ball State— 2020 rolling - email and calls to accepted students. Email for rejection or deferral to another arts program, a few weeks after audition.
Baylor - 2020 rolling - email
Belmont - [some yes and no notifications already rolling. Everyone should know March 1st via snail mail]
Boston Conservatory— ED on January 31, 2020 via portal, RD no later than 4/1/2020.
BU - [March 23 via email and portal]
Carnegie Mellon—[Plans to notify 3/7 via Acceptd direct to portal (or just check the portal), all at once]
Catholic - [rolling]
CCM— [3/9 has notified yes’ - email notifications for those still in the pool weekly throughout Feb and March]
Coastal Carolina University- [emails started 3/6, trying to notify everyone by 3/15 - may be spread out over several days/week]
Drake - [have seen at least one acceptance 3/14 - not sure if they’re rolling or all at once?]
Elon - [all on the same day, expected to be 3/15 this year]
Emerson— [3/14, email directing to portal, all at once for both artistic and academic decisions.]
Five Towns - 2020: Rolling, many acceptances/scholarships given on the spot
FSU—2020: Our last MT audition day is 2/23 and we see everyone before we make decisions. Admitted students will receive a phone call; alternates (wait list) will receive a letter in the mail; declined students will receive an email. I am hoping to have results out somewhere between February 27th and March 2nd, but the applicants have definitely made it difficult to make decisions!
Hartt - 2020: Rejections and some acceptances already rolling out.
Illinois Wesleyan - [notifies via snail mail, some yeses reported last week of Feb.
Indiana (IU Bloomington) - Notifications started 3/5 via Acceptd]
Ithaca - [Starts notifying typically last week of February/first week of March vis portal - notifications have started]
Jacksonville University - [3/17 email to check portal]
JMU - [March 1 EA. 3/13 for RD applicants via MyMadison portal.]
LIU/Post— 2/10/2020, rolling, snail mail and email
Manhattan School of Music— 2/24/2020
Marymount Manhattan - 2020 update: They try to send email notifications to check portal within 2 weeks of the audition, sometimes much sooner. Digital auditions will not receive decision until sometime in March.
Michigan—[February 28 acceptance via phone call; portal change for others - notify all at once]
Minnesota Duluth - [email from head of the program - rolling?]
Millikin - 2020 update: acceptances rolling, snail mail
Missouri State - [rolling, via email]
Montclair - [Rolling notifications, they’re still auditioning through 3/23]
Molloy/CAP21—rolling starting 3/1/2020, email
Muhlenberg - [decisions for ED 1 in Dec, ED 2 by Feb 28, and RD by March 19 - posted on portal]
Nebraska Wesleyan - [rolling - still auditioning up until April 1.]
Northern Colorado—[rolling]
Northwestern— [3/21 email directing to portal, all at once]
NYU— [3/28 via portal, everyone, all at once]
OCU —[rolling now, via email]
Ohio Northern - [rolling]
Ohio University - 2020 Update: Confirm rolling notifications for this year - last year - rolling notifications - have head of a few acceptance phone calls thus far
Otterbein - 2020: Rejects sent by email, others still under consideration notified also
Pace—[3/1 has started to notify, phone call for accepted students and/or snail mail, rolling more calls 3/7]
Penn State - [starting updating portal 2/14; started notifications for accepted students 2/26]
Point Park—[3/13 Emails to everyone, all at once, snail mail to follow up.]
Rider - 2020: Rolling and can be as quick as a few days after audition - [Portal change beginning 2/11/19. Definite Y to be posted on the portal and mailed out before 2/21; Committee meets 2/21 to discuss remaining applicants and then everyone else notified 1st of March 2019 via snail mail]
Roosevelt— 2020 - said trying for 3/15 - last year they started notifying 3/15 email was sent out to check your portal
Shenandoah—2020 around 3/2-3/6 via phone call (for acceptances); email for waitlist. Last day of auditions is 2/22, then will decide and call before their spring break 3/6.
SUNY Cortland [1/30/19 email]
Syracuse—[3/15 via email (not MySlice), decisions were sent in waves last three weekends of March last year]
SMU - 2020: rolling via email
SE Missouri St-[Rolling, via email]
TCU - [Notifications started 3/5 via email]
Temple— 2020 notifying now, rolling - portal update for academic and artistic admit, email for artistic admit (some have not gotten email for artistic, just saw portal change)
Texas State—[phone call to accepted students, rolling once auditions are complete, they meet each weekend and send notifications the following week.]
UArts—[starting about a week after audition; snail mail, rolling]
UAB - [email notification]
UAZ—[Rolling notifications have started 2/28]
University of Miami—[3/22, via portal, all at once - navigate to the letter under “student center” and then “message center.”]
U Central Ok - 2020: Greg expects offers to go out around 3/6
University of OK - [changed to prescreens and auditions this year - notifications will be a few more weeks - 4/1?]
Utah—[notifications going out now (early March) via email mail and then rolling]
UC Irvine - [3/22 via portal]
UCLA—[3/22 via portal, all at once]
UNCG - [Everyone should know March 15 “give or take a day” phone call: 3/11]
UNSCA - [Rolling out now through the end of Feb - calls to accepted students, email direct to portal for “no” decision.]
USC - [3/21 will mail notifications, with portal update 3/24]
U Wisconsin Stevens Point - 2020 email to all auditionees between 3/7 - 3/13
Viterbo— 2020 via email, rolling now
Wagner - [3/9 rolling now - there have been some calls - more to follow]
Webster— [snail mail acceptances go out around 3/8 (info from this year) - some calls have been reported for “yes”]
Western CT State—[2-3 weeks after final audition day on March 2nd, all at once; snail mail 3/11]
Western Michigan - [3/20 - notifications rolling calls for acceptances, email for anything else]
Wright St - [discontinued rolling admission this year. Last audition day was 2/24, has started notifying 2/26]
Xavier — [Emailing acceptances now - 3/1]

Once again asking because I keep seeing Ball State listed as rolling acceptances for 2020, but has ANYONE on CC received an acceptance from Ball State? Or heard of any from friends?? Whoever updated Ball State’s info for 2020, would you mind clarifying where this info came from? We know they have sent MT rejections, but have any accepted students been notified this year? TIA

Hi @SingerDancerMom Often rolling admissions start after the school has finished all of their auditions. For Ball state, the list above status states how notifications are sent. Once they start rolling for real, a date will be attached. But if anyone has specific information, by all means, please share! When schools start notifying in earnest, you’ll see them “trend,” with several people chiming in with updates, not onesie-twosies. Hope this helps! All I can say is hang in there and we’re here for you.

@DramaLlama18 thanks. Not stressed yet :wink: just seeking a little clarity. Thank you!!

We have no accept/reject/wait from anyone including–Temple, Rider, IU, Texas State, Texas Tech, Ball State, Wisc. SP. Still have auditions at UCF and Elon, so wouldn’t expect a response yet. The only “response” we got was from Rider after Chicago Unifieds where they said via email, “we are interested in you. Expect to hear from us in 2 weeks.” Sit tight. Whole process sticks. Why isn’t this more like the athletic recruitment process? Rhetorical.

Michigan sent out some results today. My D got one - a “no thanks”. Check the portal.

@Looney2020 Thank you for this information. It’s a selfless act to share those difficult “no” notices. Do you mind sharing when your D auditioned for Michigan?