Class of 2024 MT Artistic Acceptance Notifications: How/When/Where

@user_752736 every rejection letter we have gotten specifically says something like “given the large number of students we auditioned, individual feedback is not available, thank you for understanding this.” Translation: no feedback.

Emerson states on their website that feedback should come from a place of trust, and the audition environment is not one where such trust is built. That, to me, is reasonable and respectful.

There are other comments about this somewhere (not sure which thread or when they happened), but the general consensus is that feedback from an audition wouldn’t be appropriate, even if it was available.

@TexasMTDad Sarcasm and dry wit don’t translate well in all situations.

We’re all very, very different. But there is one thing that we all have in common. We were all stupid enough to let our kids audition for college MT.

@StanfordAI2019 If your D auditioned for NYU Tisch and auditioned for All Studios then, if she’s accepted, she will automatically be in the running to be considered for the Experimental Theatre Wing - it’s one of the 8 acting studios at Tisch.

@soozievt @flippedout @StanfordAI2019 Oops. You all are absolutely right about Northwestern being tomorrow (3/24). I have just lost track of the days here in quarantine and I am freaking out a bit here because I have to teach my first online class tomorrow and I have been pulling my hair out all day trying to make Zoom do what I want. This was not in my job description…

Ha! That’s for sure!

Funny. All our kids could end up at LIU. We really liked David Hugo as well

Finally got D’s CCM decision. it is a NO. Also, northwestern portal updated. Also a NO. She is OK with CCM but, despite having several options, Northwestern was one of her top two choices so it hurts. We really had hoped that her strong academics woudl give her a good shot. Only NYU left.

@AnxiousNovice – so sorry to hear! Those multiple ‘no’s’ in a day are brutal. We’ve had a couple of those as well. The NU one is tough. I don’t know if you saw my post from several weeks back. I have 2 degrees from NU, and my D didn’t even get into their summer program. (Cherubs). Crazy levels of competitiveness. Your D has gotten into some really good programs though, so you have got to be proud.

Northwestern is in - OMG she got in! She already committed to BU - oh well

@DivaStageMom – congrats! Can’t really make a wrong decision there. Her academics must be really strong.

@StanfordAI2019 - strong - but honestly not Northwestern strong - we didn’t even really give this school and program a good look - I would lose the deposit at BU but I guess we need to at least look into it. It was kind of a non-audition reach - we are actually speechless!

@DivaStageMom isn’t Northwestern an audition after first year MT program? That’s what I vaguely remember, and one reason DS didn’t want to look at it.

@AnxiousNovice it’s a no for my D, too. Now she is left with one MT acceptance, one BFA acting acceptance, two redirects and one MT waitlist.

@DivaStageMom Congrats!

@allfour1 - I believe that they take 150 - its weird her acceptance says to the School of Communication ?? Then I guess you audition in your sophomore year. Honestly, we know very little of the program. She is going to talk to her coach tomorrow and unless he convinces her otherwise she is going to BU - we haven’t visited - we feel no connection - but she is getting some bragging rights - a lot of her friends are like how the hell did you get into NW with a 32 ACT!!!

@DivaStageMom - NU is a better academic school (but I’m partial :)), but in terms of selectivity it was probably harder to get into BU’s BFA program than into NU as a theatre major. But, both are amazing. Please keep us informed on what you choose! If you need any info on NU, please feel free to message me. I still go back to campus twice a year to recruit MBA’s, so I’m still somewhat informed

@DivaStageMom - Congrats! That is crazy cool. Always good to be loved.

@StanfordAI2019 - Thanks so much, so its NU - see how little I know :). Honestly, we need a night to process this - D really had her heart set on BU and IDK if this just was never something we really thought a lot about - its a GREAT school - it was such a reach! I guess she needs to consider it. :slight_smile:

@DivaStageMom NU Musical Theatre program is in the School of Communications. They take 150 freshman as a MT major then freshman year they audition for the BFA MT Certificate for sophomore through senior year (can’t remember how many get into the certificate program, but I think it’s 1/4-1/3 of those admitted as MT majors). NU is also a very heft price tag and they were very clear when we visited that they do not give any merit based scholarships; need based only. All 3 of us loved the school when we visited, and not considering any other factors it would have been all 3 of our’s number one choice. But, the $$, lack of merit money, and the fact that you truly don’t know you can get a BFA in MT until end of your freshman year was a big deterrent for my D. Congrats to your D; I would definitely check it out - it’s a fantastic school. An alumn from my D’s high school just graduated with a Double Major (MT BFA AND pre Med; double majors are totally doable there because of the quarter vs semester system) and she absolutely loved it there.

To be clear, @jupdancemom, the MT Certificate program at Northwestern is NOT a BFA. It is a BA degree. It is a fantastic school for theater majors. You mention that they take 150 freshmen as MT majors, but MT is not a major. The freshmen are accepted to the theater program. Then, as you mention, they can audition for the MT Certificate program later on and not all will be admitted to that.

@soozievt - so this is a tough question to ask, but what would you choose - BU or Northwestern for theater? All of D’s academic friends are freaking out and think she is crazy to turn this down - her BF as well - but she isn’t looking to get a job with Goldman Sachs when she graduates - I’m honestly so confused right now - we had this figured out - she loved BU, she bonded with the director -NU was like her reach academic -she has good grades but she never thought she would get in with her ACT… good problems - but now we can’t even go visit - whats your honest opinion?