Class of 2024 Regular Decision Thread

Just got into Taubman for Architecture!
Stats:
GPA 4.2 Weighted and 3.7 Unweighted
SAT 1180
Lots of EC’s

@emptynes6161 -Same deal here. EA for CoE, deferred (OOS) and crickets since submitting the LOCI. DS is still holding out hope but it does not seem likely at this point. As I said in a post a few pages back there did not seem to be as many answers (either way) for CoE as in the past but I did not actually count it up.

My son was deferred EA. Still hasn’t heard anything from Michigan. He has decided on University of Maryland. He is happy with his decision.

Do you guys think uofm canceling in-person classes will affect when decisions come out?

@Rissy3332. Why would it? Plan on the end of this month.

@Rissy3332 I would say no currently. Campus is still open, people still going to work etc. While there will be lots of people focused on making online work, the admissions people won’t be part of that. Maybe a little scrambling to figure out how to recruit those already accepted, but even there I think that is more of the program staff effort.

In light of current news, do you think yield rate may be adversely affected and a few more offers may be coming out than initially planned? Wishing the best for everyone but I would think there might be a change of heart for some OOS and international prospective students.

Nope

Does anyone know if decisions will be posted tomorrow?

I doubt it, especially since the campus is dealing with all the cancellations right now. I’d look to 3/27, as I expect still.

I do…

Many get accepted without visiting and it is important to visit any college prior to accepting to get a feel for the campus and its students. Anyone who has visited more than one campus should know and I would think what is going on would hurt not only Michigan but other schools as well. I would not accept any school without stepping foot on campus

Many schools/students will experience this problem. I would expect some schools to (a) extend their 5/1 deadline for accepted students to send their deposits (b) create a lot of online virtual tours © extend more wait list offers to students who might have been rejected under different circumstances. These WLs will be even more unpredictable than in prior years.

I got into the Taubman College of architecture with an SAT of 1180 and Weighted GPA of 4.2. They notified me that I was nominated for a 10 thousand dollar scholarship based off of my application. Did anyone else get this or know how this process works?

Many kids like international never visit campuses and do just fine. Many other students don’t have the means and do just fine. Sure, visiting all your acceptances would be great and ideal but many people just can’t and again adjust well and do fine.

It is an interesting question. We have visited all the schools my kid applied to before the application. But going back to a few after he got in is different. That said, he wrote off a few schools based on the visit. In one case, it was bad weather. In another, we got a bad tour guide. For both of those he had some vague reasons he did not like them, but I worried that he was influenced by those things and was reading an irrational decision (he did write off a few schools where we had good weather and great guides who helped him understand the school was not for him).
On balance, seeing the school probably helps. But it may cause irrational bias for some people.

The issue isn’t whether tons of kids change their minds as a result of a visit. Sure, many kids decide on a school without seeing it or without seeing it after they are admitted.

The issue is whether the unavailability of a post-admission visit makes enough of a marginal change that it prompts admissions officers to either delay deposit dates or pad their wait lists. My fear is that my kiddo may end up on WLs and this year, those lists may drag on longer and be even more unpredictable than in previous years. That’s not a unique problem for UM, but it does strike me as a greater problem for schools that rely on very large cohorts of students.

Yes, well, I think it would be helpful if any, some, or even one deferred EA kid weighed in to say that they were deferred and then rejected. I know it is part and parcel of the process, I would like to just put a pin in the whole endeavor and move on @2017and2020dad

@emptynes6161 there were a few deferred EA rejected who posted and a friend of mine was so they have been out there

When does the regular decision come out for the Class of 2024?