class of 2025 nursing

I would appreciate any thoughts on St.Anselm College vs. UNH for nursing.

@our4kds

My 2 cents –

UNH is a public university with campuses in Durham and Manchester, NH. Nursing may be available in Durham (Its main campus). Its ranked #143 by usnews for UG. Saint Anselm College is ranked #102 in National Liberal Arts Colleges and located in Manchester. UNH is considered slightly better for Nursing compared to Saint Anselm as well since UNH is top ranked in nursing within NH state.

Being a public university UNH will be the cheapest option especially for in-state students. It will be cheaper even for OOS students when compared to Saint Anselm without any Merit or other scholarships.

Manchester is metropolitan and Durham is much smaller and picturesque

In general -
Public universities are larger. An independent student has more chance for success in a public university such as UNH. A successful student at public university would be proactive and look for their own internships and jobs. A student who is not comfortable in humanities, arts etc.… would be more comfortable in a public university where they are able to take more science courses.

On the other hand, a student who needs some support should choose Liberal arts colleges since these are smaller with small class sizes. They provide well rounded education. They provide access to professors and more support for internships, on-campus recruitment/placement.

Hi! Do you mind sharing what merit aid you received from TCU? My daughter was deferred with similar stats (4.43 and 32 ACT) so I’m trying to figure out what to hope for in merit aid if she is admitted to TCU nursing.
Thanks and congratulations to your daughter!

Update on D21 colleges acceptances

She has applied to DA:
SDSU
CSUSM (accepted yesterday!)
CSUF
ASU (12k merit)
UT Austin
UH Manoa (accepted in college, waiting on DA for nursing)

2+2 schools:
PLNU ( 10k merit and small grant)
U of Arizona (15K merit)
CSULB
Sonoma State
Stanislaus
Baylor ( 72K merit plus small grant)

I do have a question that probably only local people will know. Maybe @Gumbymom knows. Since D21 was admitted to CSUSM (which is DA if admitted as a freshman) then will she definitely NOT be accepted to SDSU? I’ve read somewhere on CC that is what the two universities do. Input? (We are local area CSUSM)

Hope everyone is starting to get their acceptances and your kids are all happy with their matches. Good luck!

1 Like

@playinthegame: I do not know of any policy that exists where if accepted to CSUSM, an applicant will not be accepted at SDSU.

1 Like

DD looking at direct admit BSN and if she doesn’t get in she will attend IU Bloomington, her favorite college campus (sister is attending and I am alum '91) Does anyone have a student who got in, and any advice on prereqs? Our daughter will have several completed at the local Jr. College as jual enrollment, saving A&P for IUB. I have been told you cannot get a B in the core list of prereqs and that the avg gpa if admitted students is over 3.9
Thanks!

My niece is at IU as a Freshman, currently pre-nursing and getting ready to apply into the upper level program. Very competitive but she is loving it. Good luck to your D, IU is a beautiful school.

Good luck to her! It is a really strong program. Hope she has enjoyed the campus despite a strange year to be a freshman. I graduated ‘91 came from CA and loved it! So happy to visit our current junior there and I think the youngest would also feel a great fit - it’s just a gamble if she doesn’t get in, makes for additional schooling and cost to get the BSN.

Not at all…I don’t remember the “official” name of it but it is the $11K/semester ($22K/year). Best of luck! They clearly deferred some incredible applicants for nursing.

Hi! I just thought I’d share my decisions and schools I’m still waiting for if that is helpful to anyone :slight_smile: GPA:4.7 SAT:N/A various extracurriculars

Accepted into Direct Entry Nursing:
Purdue
UMass Lowell
UMass Boston
UMass Amherst
UVM
SUNY Binghamton
Penn State

Still Waiting on…
SDSU
UCLA
UCI

I am really lucky for the schools I got into however my top three schools are the ones in California which are the most competitive programs.
I have a question about SDSU nursing if anyone knows the answer. @Gumbymom , you have been so helpful for me and I was wondering if you know. My CSU GPA is 4.32 because they cap it at 4.4. Because they don’t count the SAT this year, is GPA really the only thing they see? If so, it feels like my decision will be a bit random because I’m sure many students applying into the nursing program at SDSU have around the same GPA. I don’t know if my question made sense, but thank you!

@JBHSunshine: Since the Nursing school admits statistical data has only shown GPA and test scores, GPA will have a huge impact for this year’s decisions. I also think they will emphasize grades received in the applicants Math/Science classes more so than in previous years.

It is very hard to predict admissions to any of the schools this year due to the test blind policy. I think you are competitive but unfortunately there are far more qualified applicants vs. spots available. Best of luck and you have some great options so far.

Thank you so much! This was really helpful :slight_smile:

@JBHSunshine - Congratulations on your acceptance into several Direct Entry Nursing programs!! Good Luck for future.

Update

Portland (19k)
Seattle U (23k)
Creighton (24k)
Xavier (24 k pus 5k books)
Illinois Wesylean (24k)
ASU ( 15.5k)
Marquette (18)
Loyola Chicago (25K)

Penn state Altoona (zero K) she applied to U. park but it appears they redirected her. No thanks.

Pending:
Saint Louis (25k) to school, awaiting review by nursing

USF - interviewed and now asking for senior transcripts.

UC Irvine

3 Likes

When did CSUF do their interviews?

I do not think that CSUF has done their interviews yet. I think playinthegame is just listing the schools applied to. I think I saw somewhere that interviews are offered in Feb and March, So hoping we hear something soon.

1 Like

Quick update on my D. Congrats on all the new acceptances!!

Accepted
Purdue
Illinois State (6.5K)
Marquette (20k)
Saint Louis U (25k)
Loyola Chicago (25k)
Florida Southern (24k)
Jacksonville U (29.5k)

Pending
UTK (10K) awaiting review by nursing
U Cinci (EA decisions released 2/6)

Deferred
U Minnesota
Case Western

Sidenote… Case & U Minnesota were the only two schools that D took advantage of applying “test optional” - not sure it paid off here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Likely final update for my dd.

Portland (19k)
Seattle U (23k)
Creighton (24k)
Xavier (24 k pus 5k books)
Illinois Wesylean (24k)
ASU ( 15.5k)
Marquette (18)
Loyola Chicago (25K)
Saint Louis (25k)
Hawaii (wue scholarship) - she never submitted for direct entry after she was accepted to other schools.
USF - interviewed and now asking for senior transcripts. Not sure why they are asking? All A’s.
UCI - waiting but will not get in as the school, like other CA direct nursing schools require 4.3+ and above gpa (I told her apply to one reach school and this was it). Never applied to CSUF, UCLA or SDSU because I did not want to make a donation.

The above was accomplished with just over a 4.0 gpa at a competitive public HS. NO SAT or ACT scores submitted, 2 recommendations, some volunteer work, HS athletics, some leadership. Nothing really outstanding IMO.

FYI for CA residents:
Seattle U, St. Louis and Creighton prepare you to sit for the nclex in all 50 states as per email for them. Seattle was one of the few schools that hits you with all your science classes in the first year.

Marquette - need to take extra micro class to sit in CA. They will update their requirements soon to include this for future classes but for now u can take extra class.

Portland - need psych class to sit in CA and they said the would weave it into your curriculum.

Didn’t follow up with IWU, Hawaii, ASU or Xavier as she crossed them out after being accepted to other schools.

Note: Besides UCLA, no CA schools are rated In the top 100 in the Nursing Almanac, which in my opinion seems more accurate. Loyola, creighton, Portland, Seattle, St. Louis, Marquette all seemed consistently rated favorably.

Also I heard there’s a new rule for CA state schools. Preference is given to residents within the borders of each CA state Univ. So if you are from SF and apply to SDSU you will be disadvantaged and vice versa. Just wanted to point that out.

You can also cross reference with the Niche rankings. And remember it’s not the name of the school that matters, it’s the QUALITY of the program and the opportunities they provide you that will matter most in the end. Good luck to all!

3 Likes

Great information! My daughter is at Purdue and will most likely come back to California. How can I figure out if she will be deficit a class to sit for the NCLEX (CA)?

Call the University and ask if they prepare students to sit for the nclex in all 50 states. If they don’t know you can look at the BSN curriculum of a few CA schools to compare.

Based on my research the core courses that seem to be left out that are required for CA are either MICRO or Pysch.

You can also call or email the nursing board of CA to check requirements.

1 Like