Class of 2026 UC General Discussion Thread

The email seemed to come after my son looked on the portal. They should all be available on the student portal. Good luck!

UC Irvine results are now available for some

How much does being a first-gen student help specifically at the UCs? For context, I am a first-gen, in-state student, with a UC weighted GPA of around 4.7. My top choices are either UCLA or UC Berkeley.

2 Likes

Being First generation is considered by the UC ‘s but not under the Very important or Important categories on the CDS. It is part of the many areas of criteria of their application review. So just like GPA, First Generation is not reviewed in a vacuum but only a small part of the Comprehensive review.

1. Grade-point average
  2. Performance in and number of courses beyond minimum a-g requirements
  3. UC-approved honors courses and advanced courses
  4. Eligibility in the Local Context (ELC) – CA residents only
  5. Quality of senior-year program of study
  6. Academic opportunities in California high schools
  7. Outstanding performance in one or more academic subject areas
  8. Achievements in special projects
  9. Improvement in academic performance
  10. Special talents, achievements and awards
  11. Participation in educational preparation programs
  12. Academic accomplishment in light of life experiences
  13. Geographic location
    Note: No single factor determines admission, as your application is evaluated holistically.

Section C7 shows what the UC’s consider.

https://apb.ucla.edu/file/6bf8b12b-892f-4a83-87f4-c3d3a35abbca

https://apb.ucla.edu/file/6bf8b12b-892f-4a83-87f4-c3d3a35abbca

1 Like

During the in-person tour in UCLA we’ve been told that UCLA considers a student as a first generation student, even if their parent received a 4-year college degree from foreign colleges. Is this correct information?

1 Like

That is what I have read. It seems to be the only UC that goes by that definition.

2 Likes

From the UCLA website:

Note: for our program, a “first-generation college student” is identified as a student whose parent/guardian have not received a four-year U.S. bachelor’s degree.

3 Likes

We heard same info from WashU.

3 Likes

Only UCLA?

I have not gone through all the UC campus websites regarding their definition of a First Generation Student.
From the UCD website:

UC Office of the President defines first generation college students as students with neither parent having a four-year college degree.

This is the UCOP definition of a First Generation Student.

2 Likes

I think UCSB has same definition of the first generation student.

2 Likes

Correct, from the UCSB website:

What does it mean to be a first-generation college student? First-generation college students are among the first in their families to graduate from a four-year institution in the United States.

Since each UC campus works independently they apparently can define what they consider a First Gen applicant.

3 Likes

What if one parent has a BS in the states and the other is not from the US and doesn’t have a BS from the states?

1 Like

Not first generation since at least one parent has a college degree.

1 Like

I find this absurd. The idea of first gen is to identify kids who may not have the economic advantages of having a parent with a college degree. To think a kid with two parents from Waterloo or Oxford or the IITs could be classified as first gen is just mind boggling.

This comment is in response to the UCSB and UCLA policy.

15 Likes

I concur since I have always gone by what I consider the usual First generation definition which is neither parent has a college degree period.

6 Likes

I was simply asking a question. I did not know I would be harshly judged for not knowing the answer. I come here because so many people know so much and selfishly share their wisdom. I am always grateful for what I learn here. I definitely don’t come here to be shamed for asking an innocent question even if it appears to have an obvious answer. There is no harm in asking. Chances are, if one person asks someone else might be curious about the same.

3 Likes

Sorry, I tried to make it clear in the 2nd sentence. I wasn’t responding to you. It was specifically a comment on the UC policies. I meant no offense.

3 Likes

No one is judging you. I have been on CC since 2012 and did not know that the different UC’s had different definitions of First Generation students.

5 Likes

I was not aware. Good to know.

1 Like