Class of 2028 - General Engineering admission advice needed

Just a comment about the ETAM process and general acceptance into Engineering - Our class of 2025 Aggie listed Civil Engineering on his initial application. When he went through ETAM his choices were completely different 1) Computer Science 2) Computer Engineering and 3) Architectural Engineering (complete surprise to me). He ended up with his first choice. The cool thing about coming in “General Engineering” is it gives the student a chance to figure out what they really like. Don’t be too concerned about the program listed in the overview on the portal.

4 Likes

I thought I saw that students take MPE proctored through zoom prior to attending NSC?

1 Like

Thank you for your advice.

1 Like

@Aggie97SA unless it has changed, this is the way it’s been for years.
Who knows :woman_shrugging:t3: nothing about this admission cycle has been the same…

1 Like

I saw that too, specifically for engineering students and another major I can’t recall right now.

2 Likes

Mpe for engineers used to be on day 2 of NSC. Then Covid happened and it went proctored online of course. Not sure they’ve changed it back to in person.

All other majors take prior to NSC

I think they have added to the majors using the proctored MPE this year. Incoming Freshmen who are Required to Take the Proctored MPE :

"Students admitted to the [College of Engineering]and [College of Arts and Sciences] in the departments or majors listed below must take a proctored math placement exam.

• College of Engineering - All general engineering majors except Technology Management.

• College of Arts and Sciences - All majors in the departments of Economics, Physics and Astronomy, Mathematics, Statistics, and Chemistry.

In summer 2023, the MPE will be proctored online (through Zoom) by TAMU personnel. Students must register and take the proctored MPE prior to attending their new student conference (NSC). " this is the information currently on the link my son showed me from his AIS account after NSC registration. I know it still says 2023, so I’m not sure if it is a typo or the information isn’t updated. I am thinking typo, but only because I hadn’t heard of all of these other majors taking it. I may just be out of the loop though. I tried to put link below if it lets me.
TAMU MPE - Incoming Freshmen

2 Likes

@93plan all incoming freshman take MPE. Engineering take a different one, and it looks like Math-ish majors (which have been reshuffled to Arts & Sciences) now take same MPE as Engineering. Makes sense.

It appears all majors still required to take prior to NSC, and not during NSC. I bet you’re correct, info just hasn’t update to state summer 2024.

2 Likes

Fantastic info. Thank you. That does make sense.

1 Like

Any updates on engineering admission this week for auto admits. Thanks in advance.

@Trc5bgnd when did student apply? Do they have all :white_check_mark:?

Yes he’s top 6% all green checks already admitted. Submitted 2 LOR and Resume as soon as AIS opened. Applied on 1st of august everything was fully in and done with no delays. 7 tabs on august 7th. Accepted Sept 12th. I know I am getting over anxious, and didn’t see anyone post this week for engineering. Hoping it’s coming soon. He’s received acceptances everywhere else with honors programs and all. For him, this is the only one that counts.

This week likely. Check if you have Engineering Honor application access, if so go ahead apply.

1 Like

Does a student with 2nd quartile ranking, but a 1450 SAT with 720 Math, have a decent chance of being offered TEAB or Galveston? All math and science classes have been advanced, and a couple of other APs. Grades were significant better Jr year than previous years, issue will be addressed in short answer question, and he’s taking AP Calc BC and AP Physics Mechanics C this year. Application to be submitted prior to 10/15.

Yes, good chance with that score.

1 Like

Actually, math was 780, not 720. Good to know that a 720 might still get him in, though. Thanks!

1 Like

Any enge kids get 7 tabs today? My all in Aggie is anxiously waiting!!!

1 Like

Howdy! Hopefully y’all can help us make sense of what’s going on with our son’s application status. He applied for engineering the first week in August, checking the box that he’s ok with Blinn Team and Galveston, but NOT checking that Galveston is the priority over CS. Because several people mentioned applying separately to Galveston, he did that too, the week later. On Wednesday his Howdy portal showed 7 tabs, and lots of the new links are for Galveston. His overview is the linked picture, showing he’s been switched into general Engineering there (which he’s really happy about), but it also says that his campus is CS. The issue is that neither the “manage applications” tab or AIS, show accepted (although the Galveston tab in AIS has also switched to general engineering). Is he accepted to Galveston and/or engineering or not? Nothing ever showed “engineering review.” Also, will he still be considered for engineering in CS, or is he already “placed?” We’re confused! Thanks for any help!

Any top 10% not yet accepted into engineering? He picked both majors in engineering. I thought for sure he would have heard by now. Thank you.

Does your son have the high levels of math A&M wants to see? With all :white_check_mark: and auto admit, that’s the only thing I can think of??

1 Like