Class of 2028 - General Engineering admission advice needed

Thanks so much. Do you know if the short answer questions changed or are they the same from last year? I appreciate it.

I think they are the same as in prior years, they look familiar from when my daughter applied (she is TAMU class of 2026).

oh sorry, I think I am understanding your question… not sure. They were dropping a diversity-related question, but I think that change was already made between 2021 and 2022 application cycles. Other than that TAMU has not been known for significant changes year-to-year.

1 Like

What is the mean SAT score for students admitted into Engineering at A&M

My Son is applying to A&M Engineering
Top 2% in his class.
4.0 Unweighted GPA (4.0 in all DC classes)
1400 (760 Math/ 640 verbal). He has taken mostly DC and Honors classes offered at his school. He has taken Dual Credit US History, English, Pre Cal, College Alg, Physics.
Would he need a higher SAT to be admitted into Engineering School?

Your son is in very good shape. Should be getting in immediately once applied. For top 2%, your student can go ahead send the transcript now.

Below is the 2021 COE data. TAMU has been low-key doing diversity for years. Minority can get in at lower scores. Asians require highest scores. It may not be fair but they have ETAM year to filter students who can’t catch up, and have other paths to replenish the lost cap. Your student will gain admission since he is top 10%. So right now is a good time to prepare for ETAM challenges.

1 Like

Son got his application in this morning! Here we go! Good luck, everyone!

5 Likes

He should only need to do AP Calc BC and AP Physics 2 Exams, right? Not Calc AB and Physics 1.

For AP exams, calculus BC includes the AB material, and will also provide an AB subscore (although Texas A&M web pages do not mention anything about accepting the AB subscore). However, many Texas A&M students repeat their AP credit trying to get higher grades for ETAM.

But AP physics 2 is not a superset of AP physics 1 in the same way. However, neither will give advanced placement for an engineering major, since engineering majors will need to take calculus-based physics.

1 Like

We don’t want the credits, just want to show readiness. Thanks! :blush:

1 Like

AP Calculus BC and Physics 2 are stronger than Calculus AB and Physics 1. If your student can handle both Calculus BC and Physics 2 go for them. Good Luck!

1 Like

When we went to the admissions meeting (during the tour), we were all told that for engineering applicants, BOTH 1st and 2nd major choices HAD to be engineering. Is that not true? My son already submitted his application and he did what they said, but it seems like that might not have been the best thing to do. Also, what if he’s not offered engineering or an alternative pathway? Will he just not be admitted to A&M, or will someone contact him to choose a different major? Thanks!

1 Like

I read through last year”s admissions page in here and it looked like some were offered “opportunity majors” if their major was full. Look up opportunity majors on the A&M website and you should see a list. Last year I believe petroleum engineering and ocean engineering were on the list.

My son applied engineering for both majors too. Hope this helps!

1 Like

Admissions has stated that a student is accepted to the university first and then they are put into a major. So, the truly hard part is getting accepted into A&m because all the holistic candidates are competing against one another. Based on previous years, once one is accepted into the university, getting into engineering is just a formality unless the student has a “weak” background in math and science. Think of it like this… if a holistic candidate has a strong enough app to be accepted, they are probably already very strong in math and science. The issue of someone getting accepted to the university but not getting engineering probably happens when a top 10 student doesn’t have a strong math and science background.

Also, some majors like business and visualization fill up quickly and that’s when a student might be put into their second choice if those majors are already full.

It makes sense to me that if your son wants engineering that he would list two engineering majors. Hope this helps…

The question of how people are admitted to the university and if desired major place a part comes up all the time and it’s definitely controversial

After the restructuring, this may be the case. Student can still choose first choice engineering major, second in College of Arts and Science. But the essay is getting more difficult to tie the goal. Your student is fine choosing both choices as engineering.

Yeah I know someone who is suspicious their kid was put into the 2nd choice major because it was smaller and harder to fill instead of their 1st choice (Mays). I mean, Texas seems to play odds with their major placements so I get why people wonder…

1 Like

Thats rough and yes that would be so frustrating and they would always wonder what the whole story was… Was May’s full or almost full or none of those

Thanks all! Guess we’ll just have to wait and see what happens. I’m guessing they send an email or something if they want him to choose a non-engineering major? I’ve also heard about kids being given a choice to waitlist engineering on main campus, but what if they don’t get a spot? It’s all way too confusing!

In the past everyone who was top 10% in high school was admitted to either ETAM or Mays.

I believe a few in the main forum had, even though now in “engineering review”.

My son received 7 tabs on August 7th. When will engineering decisions start rolling out? Thank you.