Class of 2028 - General Engineering admission advice needed

Engineering review is just a data collection process. In the last few cycles the major changed to general engineering around late September and October for early auto applicants.

1 Like

Thank you.

My son was sent the application for Engineering Honors. Is this something sent to all applicants? For reference, he’s under holistic review because his school doesn’t rank, so we don’t know anything about him even being admitted to TAMU yet. Thanks!

My daughter is also holistic review and we received the email. I think it is just a mass email sent out to all applicants. Can you apply for Engineering Honors before being accepted?

2 Likes

That’s what we were thinking, that everyone gets it. I’ve looked through the application (4 more essays!), and it appears that it can be sent when complete, even without knowing application status!

My son got it today too!

2 Likes

Need a math or science teacher recommendation.

My daughter has applied to engineering and received the application to apply for honors engineering as well. We were quite surprised to see so many more essays to complete and not sure if she has it in her to write more essays after already doing all the others! I love the aspect of being in honors though and having access to smaller classes and priority registration but also worry about the extra workload. My question is does applying or not to honors affect admission in holistic review for general engineering major? Would being in honors engineering be a benefit when going through ETAM freshman year? And any thoughts in general from those knowledgeable about the pros/cons of honors engineering?

I had a 2024 Ag who did Eng honors, he liked that there were more sections to pick from during registration, earlier registration, they force you to make a resume, and some other stuff. You can always drop, I don’t see any downside to honors.

1 Like

Another advantage to being in engineering honors is that they have their own career fair the day before the engineering career fair opens. Yesterday, was the first day of the engineering Fair. Students were waiting outside for over an hour and some were turned away because the maximum limit was reached in read arena.

2 Likes

@Aggie97SA you’ve gotten 2 solid replies.
The major/college Honors programs are by far the way by to go, at A&M…vs University Honors. UH is a bummer, huge time commitment.

If I recall, many/most get the email about applying to Eng Honors. I’d bribe your student with something, for them to apply. Pros heavily outweigh any Cons. Nothing to lose by applying.
And as ginormous as A&M Engineering is, it’s nice to be part of something smaller, personal.

Yes it may take some bribing but it does seem that pros outweigh any cons and really think she would thrive in the honors program and having smaller classes etc…thanks so much for everyone’s input!

1 Like

We have been wondering the earliest that engineering applicants will be accepted. If I remember correctly, the timing of when you accept your admission also puts you in line to select your housing. So we are hoping early engineering applicants wouldn’t be too far behind other acceptances to have first preference in living choice. Thoughts?

Right now is still early, if auto, should be within two weeks of application submission. If holistic, the earliest will be October.

@mere33 it isn’t the time you ACCEPT admission, it’s the time stamp you APPLY for Housing, that is most important. And students can’t apply until they have acceptance. So even if your student is waiting on other schools, they need to apply ASAP when Housing portal opens (it is literally based on TIME STAMP). It’s non-refundable $75, two step process to apply. Do that before anything else. Not kidding.

1 Like

Ok, thank you. After reading through last year’s thread we’ve figured out she does have 7 tabs and says engineering review/admitted Fall 2024 - College Station. Who knew? So I’m assuming this means she is accepted…but still waiting to see if Engineering. Which gets me back to my original concern…if accepted, even not for sure engineering yet, she can still apply for housing when the link opens. Thanks in advance. I’ve learned a lot since finding these threads.

Yes your assumption is correct. If the housing app opened today, she could apply for housing. In the very very unlikely unusual situation where someone does not pass engineering review, the university would help them to find another major since they’ve already been accepted

1 Like

2 Likes

@Raider97 wow! That’s a lot earlier vs the past 4-5 years.

2 Likes

Maybe engineering review decisions have started to roll out? Can’t remember now if that page said Engineering Review last week or not?