CLEP test a no-go for Spanish placement

<p>I would think they WOULD since CB administers the CLEP exams…</p>

<p>But one never knows, so I just sent off an email to CB asking the CLEP Extended Time question…and will post their answer when I receive it.</p>

<p>DD willingly agreed to take the Spanish CLEP, so we will see how that plays out.</p>

<p>[CLEP</a> - For Students with Disabilities](<a href=“http://professionals.collegeboard.com/portal/site/Professionals/menuitem.b6b1a9bc0c5615493883234011a161ca/?vgnextoid=dd4bcf9a10494110vcm-02000000aaa514acRCRD&vgnextchannel=ad07751172814110VgnVCM200000121a16acRCRD&vgnextfmt=print]CLEP”>http://professionals.collegeboard.com/portal/site/Professionals/menuitem.b6b1a9bc0c5615493883234011a161ca/?vgnextoid=dd4bcf9a10494110vcm-02000000aaa514acRCRD&vgnextchannel=ad07751172814110VgnVCM200000121a16acRCRD&vgnextfmt=print)</p>

<p>CLEP Special Accommodations Policy
It is the test taker’s responsibility to request Special Accommodations before registering for the CLEP exam. To receive Special Accommodations, the test taker must submit documentation to the Testing Center Administrator prior to reserving a test date.
At least one of the following forms of documentation must be presented:
A copy of the test taker’s current IEP from an educational institution. IEP can be no more than 5 years
old.
Documentation from a doctor’s office specifying the test taker’s condition and the accommodations
required by the test taker. Documentation can be no more than 5 years old. Documentation can be either mailed or faxed to the Testing Center:</p>

<p>CLEP- Provided Accommodations for Students with Disabilities
Testing accommodations that may be provided with appropriate disability documentation include: Extended time
Un-timed rest breaks
Zoom Text (screen magnification)
Modifiable screen colors
Use of a reader or amanuensis or sign language interpreter Scripts (for language exams)
For more information about these accommodations, visit the CLEP website:
<a href=“College Board - SAT, AP, College Search and Admission Tools”>College Board - SAT, AP, College Search and Admission Tools;

<p>Slightly off-topic but related: Does OCD qualify for Extended Time? I’m thinking of younger son, who has OCD. On practice SAT tests, he laboriously figures out the math problems even if he knows the answer (i.e., if it’s obvious from the multiple-choice alternatives). This is a very OCD-ish thing to do, and of course it holds him up time-wise. I also have OCD, and when I’m proofreading something, I will proof it several times “just in case.” It’s the same neurotic-perfectionist syndrome. Anyway, just wondering…have wondered for a while whether we should get doc’s documentation so he can get a little extra time when he takes the SAT and PSAT this fall. </p>

<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>It may be worth going through the battery of tests.</p>

<p>College Board has a very specific set of tests they require and, along with the doctor’s report, this evaluation (just before she began HS) ran over $2000 for my DD. AND, the evaluation is “good” for only five years, so we will repeat the process prior to actually starting college so she will be “covered” for her four years there.</p>

<p>Many cognitive disorders cause the student to test poorly/slowly, and if your child is intellegent, but struggles to complete assessments in a “normal” amount of time, then I urge you to consider pursuing extended time evaluation.</p>

<p>The amount of detail relative to cognitive function these tests reveal is actually quite amazing, and has allowed DD to have coaching which has improved her everyday and test-day performance significantly while also giving her increased confidence. Another tool is a brain-exercise tool such as MindSparke or Luminosity, which can increase executive function speed and has been very helpful for DD.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>^ Thank you!!!</p>

<p>My last push for anyone considering CLEP; the proof is in the pudding. The credit finally showed up for Spanish in DegreeWorks (posted below). It satisfies the FL and Humanities requirements. In my opinion, $100 well spent and 90 minutes worth the headache=14 credit hours
(OOS tuition for 14 credit hours ~$11,475). Officially (and literally) doing the touchdown stance and dance!</p>

<pre><code> FRESHMAN COMPOSITION
Freshman Composition I
</code></pre>

<p>EN 101 English Composition P 3 Summer 2012
Satisfied by APEN101 - Advanced Placement
Freshman Composition II
EN 102 English Composition P 3 Summer 2012
Satisfied by APENEN1 - Advanced Placement
FOREIGN LANGUAGE OR COMPUTER REQUIREMENTS
Foreign Language Option 1
SP 101 Introductory Spanish I P 4 Fall 2012
Satisfied by - CEEB/CLEP credit
SP 102 Introductory Spanish II P 4 Fall 2012
HUMANITIES, LITERATURE & FINE ARTS
Fine Arts
Still Needed: 3 Credits from FA Courses (Click For List)
Literature
Still Needed: 3 Credits from L Courses (Click For List)
Humanities, Literature, Fine Arts
SP 201 Intermediate Spanish P 3 Fall 2012
SP 202 Intermediate Spanish P 3 Fall 2012</p>

<p>Awesome! No wonder you’re doing the Happy Dance! Roll Tide!</p>

<p>I think i might have mentioned this…but wanted to remind again, all who take the CLEP and do well:<br>
Be sure to write a short email documenting your experiences to both your school’s GC and the school’s Foreign Language Chair/teacher(s).</p>

<p>Our school pushes the AP exams, but it does not push CLEP. More GC’s and teachers need to be aware that CLEP credits are out there - not just at UA.</p>

<p>And, also, people might not realise that you can take CLEP tests at any time, even after graduating HS and you are already enrolled in college (you can’t retake a test w/in 6 mo of each other, tho). That means, with some dedicated self-study, you might be able to pick up more credits in another area, like Human Development or Business Law, anyone?!..</p>