coasties and in-staters

<p>Does an issue actually exist between "coasties" and in-staters? I've read that there is a problem and I've also read that it's not really a problem. Can any current UW students give their thoughts?</p>

<p>In short, no. It’s more the subject of jokes than any real tension.</p>

<p>It’s just a mild culture clash. You won’t encounter any serious hate; it’s just mostly a joke. You’ll definitely see stereotypical coasties and sconnies, but it’s nothing to be worried over.</p>

<p>Right. It’s not a real poblem. Story after story and post after post on the web are all just made up, probably by the same person! There’s absolutely no tension whatsoever between in staters and students from the coasts, and if you disagree, well, then your opinion is simply wrong, uninformed, and not welcome on the UW board.</p>

<p>^Whoa there. There’s some tension, sure, but not much. It’s just people from different cultures interacting, and it’s more a joke than anything else. It’s definitely not a big deal. Not made up, obviously, but it’s not something that would actually cause problems for anyone. And nothing anyone needs to really worry about.</p>

<p>Rox, don’t waste your time with Nova.</p>

<p>It is a very small issue indeed. My roommate is from Boston and if there were a “stereotypical Coastie” it would be him. The “Sconnies” that know him well have nothing but good things to say about him. At worst, he may receive a friendly joke once in awhile. Certainly nothing hateful by any means.</p>

<p>Several of my best friends are from the east coast. None of them has had an issue with their “Coastie” status.</p>

<p>Don’t worry about it.</p>

<p>alright thanks for the info, appreciate it</p>