College Board National Recognition Program (includes former National Hispanic Recognition Program) Class of 2022

If you meet the requirements you should get it. I won’t count it in the bag until I have it but there is no reason to believe you will not qualify and receive the award if you meet the requirements.

Hey everyone! This forum has been super helpful to me so I thought I’d share some things I’ve learned. I took the PSAT in January since my school was shut down during October. I scored well on the test, but did not receive an email inviting me to apply to the National Hispanic Recognition Program. From what I heard, those who took took it in January have to self-submit to apply for it. College board responded with the cutoff scores for Illinois.

African American Recognition: 1130
Hispanic Recognition: 1190
Indigenous Recognition: 1170
Rural and Small Town Recognition: 1150

My score was above this and I am glad I found out. The deadline to apply is May 28!

https://www.nationalrecognitionprogram.org/

2 Likes

Edit: The deadline is now June 15

3 Likes

Did you ever get an invite? The website still says PSAT fall of junior year which makes no sense for kids who couldn’t test until January because of covid. I see today that they extended the deadline to 6/15–maybe that means they are sending invites? Did you ever get confirmation from someone official other than school counselor that this is true for the January test? My son hasn’t received anything yet. Oddly, his downloaded score report doesn’t have a date, just 2020.

Does the January test count as well?

Does anyone know when/how students receive confirmation of this recognition? I’ve read they will send a certificate to the school. I’m not confident that the school will pass that on right away. Is there an email notification as well? I thought I also saw somewhere that colleges receive a list of the students who get this recognition?

I’m trying to figure out when my daughter should apply to colleges with the NHRP designation. Is it better to apply early or wait until it is confirmed that she is a NHRP recipient? We are looking at colleges where this designation will provide significant merit aid.

@Archer22 In the past, the certificates were distributed in early September. Last year, my daughter waited for the notification before submitting her college application (she had everything ready to go, she just needed to hit send). This year, my son wants to apply in August, so I asked your same question earlier this summer during a campus tour. I don’t know if all colleges have the same process, but TAMU said they receive a list of CBRP recipients as well as National Merit recipients. The advisor said to do either - wait to submit until notification is received, or submit the application beforehand and they will still know because of the information they receive from the College Board.

1 Like

We also went to a tour at TAMU and they told me the same thing. That College Board notifies the schools of the recipients. On the College Board site it says they will have the list on Aug. 31st. I think we will wait to apply to schools in Oct.

The college applications open august 1. The NHRP announcement isn’t made till august 31. Wondering if my daughter should apply in August and note that she is an NHRP candidate or would it be better to wait to submit the application until august 31 when the announcement is made and then be able to put NHRP on her application officially? The major program she is applying to fills and they advised her to apply by September.
Also the website says announcement will be made august 31. Does that mean students can expected to login and see the acceptance on august 31 ? Historically have they been timely with the information?

Did your son take two AP exams and pass with a 3 or more? If so he qualified that way rather than by his PSAT score. They qualify based on PSAT or AP exams.

Ok So the University receives the information from the College board and then offers the scholarship to the student? We don’t need to update their file or application on our end with the information about receiving the honor if she applies early before CBNHRP or NM is awarded?

Wow. Am I reading this right? Texas A&M says on their website that they guarantee $6,000 per year for 4 years for CBNRP students? Plus they are eligible for additional scholarships.

https://scholarships.tamu.edu/scholarship-programs/national-scholars#0-NationalRecognitionPrograms

1 Like

@martinezcs Yes, you read that correctly! TAMU is serious about recruiting CBRP recipients. That scholarship was one of the reasons my daughter chose TAMU over University of Texas.

2 Likes

Thanks! She was invited to the TAMU “parent program” recently and it was about a dozen students from DFW. It was an overnight program. They treated us very well. I think they recruited from the CBNRP list. We enjoyed the tour and activities. She would be happy to go to TAMU and we would be happy for her to go there. She plans to declare the visualization major. They said as an auto admit as long as she gets her application in by September she should get into visualization. Apparantly it fills by November. It was the first college tour though. So we are doing three more this week for comparison (UTD, UTAustin, and SMU). But yes TAMU treated us very well and it’s the school to beat for us.

For TAMU, I’m not sure I would wait to apply. Depending on the major, they can fill up with automatic admission applicants pretty quickly. At least that was the case through the 2019-20 application cycle.

2 Likes

While University of Alabama has not yet updated their National Recognition Program scholarship page for Fall 2022 yet (Diversity Merit Scholarship – Scholarships | The University of Alabama), they confirmed to me that it will not change.

1 Like

These are the cutoff for California for this year

African American Recognition: 1140
Hispanic Recognition: 1130
Indigenous Recognition: 1150
Rural and Small Town Recognition: 1110

Is this award competitive or do they just give it to anyone who completes the application?

For Students: National Recognition Programs - BigFuture describes the College Board National Recognition Programs.

In terms of what an individual college may offer (e.g. scholarships) for those with CBNRP status, that is up to the college as to whether they will award automatically, competitively, or otherwise.

1 Like

I’m wondering if the question asked by @Beeboo1106 is about the step before applying to actual colleges… that is, will college board convey the award to all/most of students they invite to apply for the award (and who do apply), or will only a certain smaller percent of those who apply to the college board for the award get the award?

1 Like