College Board National Recognition Program (includes former National Hispanic Recognition Program) Class of 2022

They just added this:
College Board National Recognition Program announcements will be sent on 8/31/2021, 5:00PM PT. Please check for an email from programadmin@nationalrecognitionprogram.org.

1 Like

Lol - didnt think to look there outside the login. :slight_smile:
I was looking at their page on the college board site.

I was very excited about this BU scholarship but talking to the admissions guy I was very quickly deflated. NRP is just one of the items in the selection process for a Presidential Scholarship. Literally everyone admitted gets reviewed for it. So the chances of a NRP student getting the scholarship are slim. They compete with everyone for it. Less that 100 kids get any part of a presidential scholarship

2 Likes

This thread has been so helpful because information is slim. Has anyone received a scholarship from this designation that you guys know of?

True, there will be a limited number of scholarships, but all merit scholarships are limited. However, if you look at this link, it seems like there is a Presidential Scholarship and a CBNRP Scholarship, that when you click on it calls it a Presidential Scholarship, but they seem to be two distinct categories.

Merit Scholarships for First-Year Students at Boston University | Admissions (bu.edu)

The number of NHRP scholarships was not limited at ASU (full tuition) or University of Kentucky (full tuition plus). NHRP recipients were guaranteed the scholarship.

BU is totally different in that regard. NHRP recipients are not guaranteed anything whatsoever. And anyway 25K/year at BU is not that great considering the cost of tuition there.

3 Likes

I know it looks like its different but the admissions guy talked to me. They look at it along with the presidential scholars, notice that they say the kids have to have outstanding grades and scores etc. They do the “holistic process” so yeah if you have NRP its good. The problem is that there is going to be a few NRP’s who are also National Merit, have 1500 plus SAT, 4.0 GPA, great essays. They are the ones who would get it. Given the limited number of people getting any money at BU its hard to get excited about it unless you meet all those other benchmarks. Like someone said other schools don’t do this.

1 Like

The announcements are being sent out at 5PM PT.

1 Like

I wonder if the full tuition scholarship at ASU is for out of state applicants too?

1 Like

yes it is. from their site " College Board National Recognition Program recipients who are admitted to ASU will receive the New American-University Scholar – National Scholar award. If a student has been offered any other New American-University Scholar award (such as a President’s , Provost’s , Dean’s , or University scholarship) before ASU received their College Board National Recognition Program designation, the New American-University Scholar – National Scholar award will replace it."

you can enter your info in the scholarship estimator (https://scholarships.asu.edu/estimator) to figure out your cost

2 Likes

That’s good news. My husband and I both graduated from ASU. We live in Texas now. She is applying to A&M and we will add ASU to the list. A&M has a $6,000 per year scholarship guaranteed for all NHRP students. That is about a half tuition scholarship. They are also considered for other scholarships too and can add the NHRP scholarship to a general scholarship at A&M.

Yes, I just called yesterday about it.

Valid point - I misunderstood. I thought you meant you didn’t see anything in the Northeast at all. So I was pointing out BU had opportunity for $25k and it looks like Northeastern has opportunity for $15-30k. Yes, that price tag is very daunting. That being said $25,000 off is nearly 50% of BUs tuition and potentially more valuable than the $1000 or $2000 or $5000 many schools guarantee. For a top notch private university, I wouldn’t dismiss it out of hand because it isn’t full tuition and isn’t guaranteed. If a student were to get the scholarship, nothing says it precludes them from receiving other forms of financial aid/grants from the university. You need the full scholarship/grant/aid package (if you were to receive it) before you can dismiss it. Fordham University in NY eligible for full tuition with NHRP (have to have outstanding academic record and be in top 3% of admitted applicants) - that’s about $55,000/yr.

I believe University of Arizona is also full tuition, plus for NHRP. I think UT Dallas offers some awards based on NHRP eligibility, and I came across something about UT Austin as well but need to find it again.

1 Like

It is interesting that Texas A&M only gives $6,000 per year scholarship to Texas students and out of state tuition waiver + $4,000 per year for Out of State students. (https://scholarships.tamu.edu/Scholarship-Programs/National-Scholars#0-NationalRecognitionPrograms)

What is not clear to me that if the out of state tuition waiver is the whole OOS tuition ($41k) or they just waive the OOS tuition price difference so the tuition is now $13k minus the $4k scholarship for a net aprox of $9k. (https://financialaid.tamu.edu/Undergraduate/Cost-of-Attendance#0-CollegeStationUndergraduate)

That way the Texas resident will pay $7k and the OOS $9k.

The University of Arizona NHRP scholarship amounts depends on the student GPA.

NHRP scholars will automatically be admitted to the honors college.

https://honors.arizona.edu/why-honors/national-merit-scholars

4 Likes

You can apply to BU and Northeastern but you probably will end up disappointed because scholarships and financial aid at those universities do NOT stack. The scholarships will simply reduce the amount of finanical aid. Same thing for Fordham where you will just be “eligible” to get full tuition but will probably not get it.

See for example disappointing outcome at NHRP 2019 College Scholarship List - Specialty College Admissions Topics / Hispanic Students - College Confidential Forums

I would like to disclose that we live in NJ and that my NHRP son is currently studying engineering at ASU (now in his third year). We spent a lot of time a few years ago figuring out where he should apply. I have posted our story in a long thread that I think is worth reading for reference: Looking for advice in Merit aid for a top 1% student - Financial Aid & Scholarships - College Confidential Forums

In short at the time, for engineering students, ASU and University of Kentucky offered the best deals to NHRP recipients (Kentucky being better financially but ASU offering the best value imho).

University of Arizona is also great, but their scholarship was based on a combination of SAT/ACT score and GPA rather than just on being NHRP recipient (they are currently not using SAT/ACT score due to numerous high schools students not having been able to get tested because of the pandemic).

For out of state students, one advantage of ASU over University of Arizona is that PHX SkyHarbor is very close to ASU and can be reached via the Light Rail for $2. On the other hand, Univerity of Arizona has the brand new Honors Village.

I highly recommend the books “Where You Go Is Not Who You’ll Be: An Antidote to the College Admissions Mania” by Frank Bruni and “Inside Honors 2020-2021: Ratings and Reviews of 40 Public University Honors Programs” by John Willingham to help narrowing a list of colleges worth applying to.

By the way, the US News best undergraduate engineering programs rankings for 2021 are as follow:

ASU #42 Discover why the Barrett experience is right for you. | Barrett, The Honors College (asu.edu)
Northeastern #48
Boston University #53
University of Arizona #53 Honors Village | Honors College (arizona.edu)
University of Kentucky #90 Home | Honors College (uky.edu)

7 Likes

Regarding out-of-state tution waivers, see explanations at Schools That Offer Merit-Based Tuition Waivers to Out-of State Students | Paying for College | US News

In short you still have to pay in-state tuition.

Thanks for this I’m one year behind you. I can already confirm your experience as a likely scenario for most NRP recipients. I talked to as many of this admissions officers as I can and they are usually honest about this and set expectations.

1 Like

Both of my daughters got out of state tuition waivers at Texas A&M. The waiver is not for the full amount of tuition. It just charges out-of-state students the in-state tuition rate, so, even though out-of-state students get the tuition waiver, their total tuition cost is still $2000 more than the in-state students, given the reduced size of their scholarship amount from $6000 to $4000. Hope this helps clarify!

3 Likes