College Board National Recognition Program (includes former National Hispanic Recognition Program) Class of 2022

Thank you for your explanation, @joelatte.

UofA requires 1 year of fine arts or 1 year of career and technical education (CTE). In her transcript my daughter has a fine arts class, but with a lower grade. She also has a year of Engineering and a year of Computer Science. Are these classes considered in UofA as Technical Education (CTE) or CTE is something else?

Here is how State of Arizona defines CTE:

If you click on the C-E Drop down, you will see that engineering for sure is on the list.

2 Likes

Lol @NJEngineerDad my best info is the end of the month.

2 Likes

That is helpful. We can all take a one week break from obsessing over this ha ha.

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply. Call the school and get a call with your counselor assigned to your state. Its quite complicated but they try to pick the classes that give you the best GPA. They also use semester grades so if you had a B for fall and an A for spring then they do likewise. Finally for senior grades they do not use them so for ours we were only missing one class and the GPA was calculated with one less class. We had too many B’s as a freshman and missed the next level by .2. Really disappointing. 40 thousand dollars for .2 of a GPA. He gets straight A’s as a senior so far but it does not matter. Does not look like we are going to be wildcats nor sun devils if they do the same thing.

2 Likes

sorry about this all, guys. Don’t have a kid in the mix, but have a kid who just took the PSAT as a junior. i have a few thoughts about it. 1)the national recognition program now includes rural schools. and from what we saw, that’s like 75% of our state; and there are some huge “oops” on the rural school list. eg: a large school across the street/county line from a metro area of 600K; 2000 kids in school, high income, high ACTs. etc. I think that this recognition now includes so many more kids than the NHispanic kids; and so schools are just not able to accommodate that many. and 2) ASU basically dropped the program, and is giving what they offered in 2020 to my kid - tuition around 13K total. AU was much better. Wonder why?

sorry. good luck to your kiddos. Any places at all that have full tuition still for your kids?

1 Like

@timan2000 Thanks for the information. Is sad to miss the next award level for so little. We have a UofA campus tour next Saturday and will try to meet with an advisor to ask some questions.

Maybe I am wrong but looking at the scholarship page it seems to me that the National Scholars Tuition Award for in-state students will not consider grades at all.

1. Arizona Residents: $18,000 per academic year
  2. Non-Arizona Residents: the value of the original Arizona Tuition Award + $3,000 National Scholar Award. See “Arizona Tuition Award” for merit review and offer details.

@liasmom im not sure about in state. But we got our award explained in full. 3k for Hispanic and the rest is all about the grades I tried to explain. There is a table running around with 30 plus k for 4.0 and 12.5 for 3.5 to 3.7 and other levels in between.

1 Like

@bgbg4us so you have a kid that got something? I’m confused. But if you are new to this game pace yourself. Lol. First the test, wait weeks for a score, wait months for some idea of the cutoffs and hope the kids checked the boxes like the are supposed to. Wait for the email invite, apply and wait again for official award. Then wait more months for schools to pull the rug out. Lots of fun. It will all work itself out I’m sure.

I think expanding to include Qualifications based on 2 AP scores of 3 or higher also increased the pool too much. That’s not a very high bar. Notice ASU new guidelines for Arizona residents state they have to have qualified based on PSAT.

2 Likes

So agree with you and see even more issues with how CB has handled their once-valuable outreach program.

Each school has a budget for scholarships. The AZ schools have BIG budgets to draw in top students, and so ASU was in a great rhythm for multiple years of attracting talent and drawing them in (with top notch marketing / PR / messaging for Barrett, etc).

Whatever changes hit out graduating class really is not on ASU, and I can see why they are scrambling since it is hard to ‘make change’ to financial policies in the educational space, especially at a state school since they answer to their state in addition to their board. The College Board’s sudden and dramatic changes this year to a long established program would cause these schools to run out of budgeted scholarship $s real fast. (No one in an admissions or financial aid department wants to lose their job by blowing their budget by millions).

Just even one year ago, 2021-2022 entering class, the only game in town regarding CB programs was NMF and NRHP. And NRHP required top 2.5%. College Board in one year expanded to three more ‘affinity’ groups (I say ‘affinity’ not to offend or minimize anyone’s heritage, but rather to state the obvious that Westlake, TX and Laguna Beach, CA are NOT underserved, small rural towns… check that list, it is insane.) And they had it apply to top 10% which further expands the pool. Plus other ways to qualify like the 2 AP Test criteria noted by @martinezcs. All of that together could easily have generated enough candidates by Nov 1 to fill the entire Barrett entering class, with no one paying tuition… That would a) way blow past whatever their budget is and b) exclude many Arizona resident students with high credentials who did not apply super early.

CB has kind of turned their formerly life-changing (as measured by it’s ability to generate scholarships, and therefore access, for awardees) into more of a cynical PR tool for CB to pat itself on the back for recognizing diverse and underserved communities. (With the exception of the incompetent try at targeting rural students with less access.). You get a certificate and a recognition to list on applications, which of course is still of value, but the tuition awards go away.

OK, done with today’s rant. Just saying that as much as the schools’ changes sting, it really is not fair to place blame on ASU or UofA for leaning into whatever high school grade/GPA standard their state BOE provides input into. The GPA thing, blessed by the State of Arizona already, gives ASU cover in a bad situation. ASU was all in on CB’s PSAT, and attracted the students needed to ensure Barrett’s effectiveness for future employers, until they got cut off at the knees.

And now, we parents wait to see what the fallout is for our 2022 graduates.

5 Likes

West lake High School is rural?

ASU could have throttled the number of Hispanic Scholars just like UOfA. But they just plain got rid of it. That’s on ASU.

1 Like

someone posted the master list of 'rural and small town a while back and many of them were super-affluent suburban communities. (The list is very, very long).

Offhand what I recall was definitely on there was Laguna Beach, CA and Westlake, TX, but there were quite a few others that were equally eye-popping in terms of not being traditionally overlooked communities… so any school that chooses to include rural and small town in their CBNR scholarships policies might find themselves with a wave of apps just from the new rural and small towns designation…

3 Likes
  1. I agree on your ASU point. Could have gotten creative about preserving that distinction vs completely bailing. There is respect and grace in acknowledging that a change is needed, but then preserving a level of recognition despite that change needing to happen. Thanks for your challenge on that, helps me to think of the whole picture of impact on our students.

2. UofA has throttled $ amount (from $5k/yr down to $3k/year) based on the math associated with anticipating more scholars this year, but they have not indicated they are throttling the number of Hispanic Scholars. So that is a + for how UofA is handling things.

3 Likes

Honestly, all any school had to do in order to throttle their automatic scholarships for CBNRP was to require a conforming SAT/ACT score of the school’s choosing. It’s not a difficult remedy. And, as already stated, U of Alabama, somehow, has managed to keep theirs untouched.

My suspicion is that the CBNRP selection expansion has served as an easy excuse for some schools to cut back on merit scholarships. Period. That’s the way the world is trending at present.

2 Likes

Just linking ASU class of 2026 thread to make it easy to jump from one thread to the other (beginning of section about discontinuation of OOS National Scholar merit scholarship at ASU).

Arizona State Class of 2026 - Colleges and Universities A-Z / Arizona State University - College Confidential Forums

1 Like

Yes, she is registered with her school address. IT department there checked archives and verified that nothing was sent. I also checked her personal account just in case.

Is her school address able to receive mail from outside school email addresses? Ours can’t. Outside email is blocked for students at our school. If anyone tries to email them anything to their school email address it is automatically blocked and the student doesn’t receive it. So they only use that school email with teachers, staff, and students. But for college board, colleges, and everyone else they use their personal email address.

Yes. Is littered with other emails from CB, for example. IT’s scan even searched deleted files that were caught in spam filter.