College Board National Recognition Program (includes former National Hispanic Recognition Program) Class of 2022

She absolutely qualifies. I think you should call. You’ll be on hold forever- but I think at this point I think that’s probably what you’ll need to do. Congrats on her great scores:)

2 Likes

Pirc, did you use this email address: info@nationalrecognitionprogram.org ?

It might help you reach someone more quickly. Great luck!

1 Like

How are you having your kid describe this award for apps?

1 Like

Is it shown when your daughter signs into College Board? I think it’s likely an oversight since she was invited to apply in the first place and submitted her application well before the deadline. Think they do have to have a certain GPA (maybe 3.5) but no other major requirements that I know of. College Board is known to be a bit disorganized and has some communication problems, so don’t panic. Just be sure to send an email (they will probably respond within 2-3 days) or call and wait on hold as long as it takes to speak to a real person. Or both! Please keep us posted.

I did. Thanks for everyone’s input. I had previously updated her new school and email and College Board verified it was updated, but we have received nothing. We are waiting to see if she made National Merit as well and now I am concerned that whatever “glitch” is causing this may be an issue there as well if she makes it.

1 Like

College Board National Recognition Hispanic Scholar. That is how we did it. Is your kid aiming for Cal Poly SLO?

1 Like

The avatar is left over from his sister who went to cp slo. He is applying there, as well as UCs, USC, and some other schools. We can put a description as well as the award which is what I was asking about.

I see, I do not think my son ever described it. In that case I would pick verbiage from the email college board sent or form the college board web site where it’s described.

1 Like

whoa! That’s insane. Millions of people live, work and go to school in those cities which have all sorts of communities and neighborhoods and are live fun, active, normal lives and are quite safe. Doesn’t sound like you’re giving advice from knowledge but from afar.

Congrats!

1 Like

I think you are referring to Alabama? I see both sides here. Certain states do have a history of racism and backwards thinking and minorities are often targeted and more in danger even if cities themselves are considered “safe.” I’ve known A+/honors African American students who were called the N word in states like Mississippi, Alabama and Florida and others who were stopped by campus police for running to class with no legit rationale. Some schools in red states are diverse and students come from all over the country and are even considered “liberal leaning” so the schools can be their own little city and feel safe and accepting but when some students walk out into the community, it can be a different feel. These are important questions to ask on a tour or through discussions with admissions advisors. My kids are both progressive, want a diverse/accepting campus (including welcoming LGBTQ students) etc. Somehow my liberal-thinking daughter ended up in Louisiana for college of all places. She’s at a very open, diverse, welcoming Jesuit school (Loyola) in New Orleans that is focused on community service and social justice and she has friends on campus of all backgrounds, sexual identities and religions. She knows the state of Louisiana is a different ballgame but feels she can help make change from within and attends rallies and BLM & women’s rights protests, etc. So her choice felt right to her and so far the majority of her experiences have been positive, even when she steps outside the bubble of campus. My son really likes a few schools in Florida but is staying away from public schools as they seem to be targets of free speech and there is an effort to implement far-right politics and programs to influence an agenda. Each kid has to decide what feels right, where they will fit in, and how they will navigate discrimination through their own leadership and actions.

6 Likes

We enjoyed a recent trip to Miami so my son was able to check out some colleges. He ruled out larger public schools, but really liked Barry University (Miami Shores) and Nova Southeastern (Fort Lauderdale.) They don’t have specific awards for National Hispanic Merit Scholars but have generous merit for high-stats students and reputable honors programs. Both are Hispanic Serving Institutions (meaning over 25% Hispanic Students) and very diverse, including a strong international student presence. The most attractive aspect for my son was Miami itself. Nearly everyone spoke Spanish, it’s all we heard walking around the streets, in restaurants, etc. My son felt it would be a bonus to his education to live in a place where Spanish is spoken all over so he could practice and learn more (he wants to minor or double major in Spanish.) He was thinking he could get a job in the area and immerse himself in the language outside of the classroom. Anyway, if your kids are looking for a small to medium school and want to live in a place where Spanish is the primary language, check out Barry and Nova Southeastern. They are not big name schools, but definitely hidden gems with a lot to offer.

2 Likes

There is definitely some truth to what you said. However, some of the universities my son was considering (IIT in Chicago comes to mind) are not in a great part of town. In fact, some parent visiting Chicago was asking for pointers on how best to avoid rough areas on this board not too long ago. As far as NYC goes, cost of living and the city were not appetizing to my son. Many schools do not guarantee housing even for freshmen. Philly suburbs are fine but my son is not too keen on the city. As far as the deep south goes, one has to worry about life beyond the bubble. At the end of the day, it is what my son chooses. The fit has to be right for him and I respect that.

1 Like

Yes, there are safety risks in big cities but even small towns can have issues. My daughter is in her 3rd year at Loyola in New Orleans. The city is considered very unsafe but Uptown, near campus, feels pretty safe to her and she knows to walk in groups and always be aware of surroundings when entering other parts of the city. She did take a self-defense class before heading off to college so that made me feel a little better I guess. I think we just need to educate our kids and encourage them to be proactive no matter where they go.

My son just received a postcard in the mail from Duquesne in Pittsburgh. I don’t recall them advertising merit for National Hispanic Merit Scholar before. Was it in the link of schools and I somehow missed it? Or is this totally new? According to the post card, it’s advertising “full tuition and 100% full need scholarships” for Spirit of Excellence, Spirit of Community, National Hispanic Scholar and STEM. If anyone has details on this (is it guaranteed or competitive, etc?) please share.

Ok got the details from the Duquesne website. Very competitive since they only offer one.

University Scholarships

Spirit of Community Scholarship

Duquesne University is pleased to announce an exciting new program for students passionate about engaging with their community and expanding their understanding of social justice. In addition to a commitment to community engagement, chosen participants will engage in meaningful and challenging conversations with peers around biased, systemic injustice, power, and privilege and their impact on our community and society at large. Apply by January 15, 2023

National Hispanic Recognition Scholarship

We are awarding a full-tuition scholarship to the highest-ranked first-year National Hispanic Scholar in the entering class. Utilizing a holistic admissions review, rankings will be determined by GPA, class rank, high school rigor and leadership potential. No separate application is necessary!

Spirit of Excellence Scholarship

In the spirit of our founding, commitment to excellence, mission of service, and in alignment with University Goals, Duquesne will award five exceptional leaders with a full-tuition scholarship for four years. Apply by January 15, 2023

STEM Scholars Program

A cooperative program among Duquesne University, the Bayer School of Natural and Environmental Sciences, the Citizen Science Lab, and local industries for incoming students who are from an under-represented population.

1 Like

Do you know if she marked Hispanic on the PSAT and AP tests? I believe that is a key thing they look at.

1 Like

Looks like it is only one scholarship awarded for NHRP per their website.

University Scholarships

Spirit of Community Scholarship

Duquesne University is pleased to announce an exciting new program for students passionate about engaging with their community and expanding their understanding of social justice. In addition to a commitment to community engagement, chosen participants will engage in meaningful and challenging conversations with peers around biased, systemic injustice, power, and privilege and their impact on our community and society at large. Apply by January 15, 2023

National Hispanic Recognition Scholarship

We are awarding a full-tuition scholarship to the highest-ranked first-year National Hispanic Scholar in the entering class. Utilizing a holistic admissions review, rankings will be determined by GPA, class rank, high school rigor and leadership potential. No separate application is necessary!

Spirit of Excellence Scholarship

In the spirit of our founding, commitment to excellence, mission of service, and in alignment with University Goals, Duquesne will award five exceptional leaders with a full-tuition scholarship for four years. Apply by January 15, 2023

STEM Scholars Program

A cooperative program among Duquesne University, the Bayer School of Natural and Environmental Sciences, the Citizen Science Lab, and local industries for incoming students who are from an under-represented population.

That stinks and unfortunately racism exists everywhere. I am glad your kid found a school that works for them. It is crazy as it is their first big decision of their new adult life. Best of luck to you and your daughter!

I am not disagreeing but they also have the highest crime rates is all I was saying. Hope your child has a great college experience no matter where they go.

1 Like