College Board National Recognition Program (includes former National Hispanic Recognition Program) Class of 2022

My S got about 27k total off last year. It would have been a great choice I think. But went somewhere else.

Where did you get these numbers. I’m amazed that although so many people have received funding. There is not one that can confirm it here. They dislike college confidential.

A bit off topic but it looks like the Supreme Court is poised to end affirmative action. How would this impact the National Hispanic Merit Award and colleges which offer merit for this? Would they no longer be able to consider this in admissions decisions? Could some of us get a merit award related to this only to have it taken away after this decision? The arguments from some of the conservative justices are really misguided if you ask me but they seem fine with abandoning precedent these days : (

No idea. I think the SCOTUS will leave it to the states like they did for abortions. But the way I read it, NHRP is a merit based award. So, the college can choose to keep it as a benchmark of excellence and a test to recruit certain types of candidates. How is this any different than say an athletic scholarship? But I am not a lawyer or SCOTUS. We will have to wait and see.

2 Likes

It would affect schools that use it as a factor in admissions but shouldn’t affect scholarships and recruitment activities. For example TAMU does not use race as a factor in admissions but it does for targeting recruitment efforts and scholarships. Their strategy is to increase applications and increase enrollment of underrepresented students who are admitted.

TAMU is meanwhile being sued for a different but related issue over hiring practices of faculty and they have doubled down on it and reaffirmed their commitment to hiring diverse faculty but we will see how it plays out.

3 Likes

Thank you for clarifying that. I’m guessing a school like Harvard can get around this by following the model of TAMU. I applaud universities like TAMU who not only implement policies to ensure a more diverse faculty but who defend their policy vehemently as they should. We often go to the psychology faculty website pages to look into research done by professors at various universities only to see mainly white faces. They are well-qualified and strong professors in the field, no doubt, but surely there are many qualified minorities who could be part of the staff and enhance the diversity of the university. No decision yet by the Supreme Court on affirmative action but I think we can all read the tea leaves and won’t be shocked when affirmative action is overturned.

3 Likes

Here’s the article. It’s interesting.

https://www.thebatt.com/news/faculty-senate-reaffirms-support-for-diversity-and-inclusion-amid-lawsuit/article_da3c3bbe-4f6a-11ed-80e5-0ffa235370dd.html

Also this topic of diversity or lack thereof amongst faculty reminds me of this from awhile back….

1 Like

That’s what we can hope for and was my point as well. Well put.

2 Likes

Sorry, I have been out of pocket for a couple weeks, so I missed your question. The approximate 15,000 semifinalists and 10,000 finalists, I have seen in multiple places. The financial numbers are easily available on their financial report which is posted on their web page. Page 46 of their 2021 financial report shows, 6037 scholarships, worth $24,137,431. It is an actual copy of their tax filing, so if it were falsified, I think they would be in a lot of legal trouble. No one this year can confirm their funding here, because nobody this year has received funding yet. If you go look at previous years, you will find plenty of people who can confirm they received funding.

So everyone is on the wait list this year? Not a single person can confirm that they were offered funding. Forget receiving it. You mean to tell me that’s normal?

1 Like

Well Nebraska just emailed my daughter and is inviting her to come visit and they will pay for the flight and a room. She decided to do CS now. No more Architecture apparently. So here we go. Let’s go Big Red. Lol

6 Likes

No. Once again, multiple people can confirm they were offered funding. My daughter for one, and multiple people on Reddit. Nobody can confirm an amount and this is no different from previous years. People who received emails saying they are a scholar on a waitlist are on a waitlist. People who received an email saying they are a Scholar and a scholarship recipient are a scholarship recipient. But both are Scholars. People who are scholarship recipients will receive between $500 and $5000. The last part of the process was confirming university enrollment, after they receive confirmed enrollment, they will finalize scholarships. Then the scholarship recipients will find out how much they are receiving. After all of that is done, some of the waitlisted Scholars will be notified that they have received a scholarship. That will be based on additional funds being available, possibly some of those funds are available because Scholars didn’t complete the process. Based on past years, it seems like scholarship amounts are released in December. (Probably shouldn’t tell you that from what I have seen on the threads from previous years, typically funding doesn’t roll out until March) :grinning:

@ UNL - there’s a week left to apply for this program for CS - it’s fantastic - https://raikes.unl.edu/ – . Have a friend in it. good luck!

2 Likes

Got my son’s scholarship offer letter from Alabama yesterday. We knew it was guaranteed for national recognition but sure felt good to see it in black and white with his name at the top! He is Bama-bound unless we get a real surprise for merit from his in state option!

8 Likes

When did he apply? Do you mind sharing stats and major please?
Congrats!

2 Likes

I think he applied around the beginning of October, accepted in about 3 weeks and then the scholarship letter 2 weeks later. We got the letter for Presidential (28k/yr) and national recognition the same day. These do not stack but recognition is better with guaranteed full tuition, including graduate credits/law school if applicable for 8 semesters plus first year room plus $1k/yr. He has 3.7 uw/4.2 w GPA and 1530 SAT. He is not NMSF. Major is computer science for now, might switch to undecided engineering, either way, he should get another $2500/yr from engineering.

5 Likes

Can you elaborate on that additional 2500 for engineering?

Sure, it’s guaranteed for all college of engineering entering freshman with 3.5 min GPA and 30 ACT/1360 SAT, it doesn’t stack with the National Merit package but does with the national recognition package.:grinning:

Wow. This sweetens what is already an unbelievable deal. Thanks.

2 Likes

For those NOT going into Engineering, you can apply for “UA Leadership/Ach Scholarship $2000”

DS2022 got that with a SIMPLE quick application on UA portal after acceptance.

Hmmm… wonder if the $2K would stack on top of the $2500 Engineering.

2 Likes