College Decision: Cornell vs Williams

Summers in Ithaca are pretty amazing!

Deleted

Just chiming in here to say that I went to school in Rhinebeck after growing up in Seattle and the weather was extraordinarily difficult for me.

While it is drizzly in the winter in Seattle, you can (and do) go outside every day because it’s usually only in the 40s and 50s in January and February. But in upstate New York it was so so so cold, and so so windy that walking across campus was miserable, and we didn’t spend time outside. (And I was a skier, and an outdoorsy person! So it wasn’t for lack of not experiencing snow - it was just a very difficult environment, and traversing campus was just awful in the winer, and people weren’t outside unless they had to be.)

Fall was gorgeous but fleeting, winter seemed to not end until the last few weeks of school, when it became muddy. I think the weather is hard if it’s not something you’re accustomed to.

I don’t know where the OP is coming from, but for any students looking to do quick comparisons of one location’s climate to another, Weatherspark is helpful (linking to a sample comparison).

4 Likes

I’m a Williams grad who grew up in Middlebury with a kid interested in Cornell. In terms of weather, all three are similar. I wouldn’t call it a distinguishing factor. There are plenty of others, as noted above.

3 Likes

Yes, agreed, that is my point. There are plenty of differences between Cornell and Williams (size, vibe, town, athletic division, etc.) to think about, but cloud coverage between NY and MA is similar enough that it seems silly to call it a game changer (not saying anyone used those words, but that is what’s been implied.) My son ski races for a college in Central NY (not Cornell) and every picture of every race we attended last winter (in that same region), features a crystal clear, bluebird sky. Speaking from personal experience. I just think the really stark differences between the two schools are what need to be emphasized; not minor differences in cloud coverage (on average).

3 Likes

I’ll assume all the meteorologists on the thread are ready to move on

5 Likes

Students have transferred to Columbia and UChicago before.

6 Likes

I’ll abstain from discussing the respective patterns at either college but do want to remind OP (and anyone reading) that seasonal depression&disorders due to lack of sun/sunlight are real and serious; on top of it, if you’ve got a form of astygmatism some types of cloudy skies can be pure torture even if you have correction&darkening glasses - and you learn you’re affected bc you’re suffering from it, there’s no way to predict it ahead of time.
As a conclusion, asking for medical help won’t see you dismissed, it’s a well-known, serious phenomenon.

5 Likes

Based on the NYT Access article:

Median Family Income of Cornell grads is 151,600
Share of Students from top 0.1%: 1.5%
Share of Students from top 1%: 10%

Median Family Income of Williams grads is 185,000
Share of Students from top 0.1%: 2.8%
Share of students from top 1%: 18%

Great information.

Your focus is on percentage of students, while my comment focused on number of students from affluent families, therefore, we are both correct.

Regarding school preference, it depends upon the individual whether small, rural, isolated Williams College is more or less attractive than the much larger Cornell University located in a great college town.

P.S. OP specified preferred majors of business or CS; based upon these majors, Cornell would be the better choice if the student could be admitted directly to either major at Cornell (Williams offers economics, not business); not even a close call in my opinion. Cornell would offer a greater breadth & depth of courses in these areas.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.