College decision

I am currently trying to decide whether to go to Texas A&M University or University of Wisconsin- Madison. I have visited both schools and all that, but the main factor at this point is cost. I would be paying out of state tuition at A&M and the total cost of attendance would be $40,000. At Madison, I’d be paying in-state tuition and the total cost of attendance would $26,000. My intended major is Geophysics and I think both schools are very reputable for that area of study. I would go to A&M over Madison if the cost was equal but obviously it isn’t. Going to school at A&M, I feel like I would be able to make more connections to companies located in Texas and I believe recruitment opportunities would exceed those at Madison.

Overall I’m trying to figure out which school is going to give me the best return on investment (ROI). Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Who will pay and how much?

Are you asking if my parents are paying for college? If so, they won’t be contributing much. I’m not sure on an exacta amount and they don’t seem to know either.

So if money is a large concern, then how would you and your family pay for Texas? What is your FAFSA EFC? Where will the $40k come from? You can only borrow $5500.

Can you commute to UW-Madison?

If your parents aren’t paying much…at all, then you can’t go where you will have a $40,000 bill.

You say your main factor right now is COST. You said that. If that is the case, then a school that costs $14,000 more (A&M Texas) needs to come right off the table.

At this point your main job is to find out if your parents will pay $26,000 for you to attend Wisconsin.

If not…that is not affordable either.

Are you a Wisconsin Covenant Scholar?

Did you try the net price calculator for either school?

What do the NPCs show you?

It does not make sense to borrow thousands of dollars at this time. You may even change your major. The unfortunate fact is that many, many students end up at instate schools because of finances. Be thankful that you live in a state with a top notch flagship. Save the costly school for possible grad school (and perhaps even get that paid for). UW’s department with your proposed major likely posts job opportunities.

You are NOT ruining your future by being financially sensible.

My son is IS for TX and applied OOS for Wisconsin. Wisconsin is one of the more reasonable OOS options. He was accepted at both but has elected not to attend either; however, WI was his #2 and he would have chosen it over A&M. A&M does have a fantastic network here in Texas, but WI, IMO, has the better reputation nationwide. You have it at an IS value too! Go to Wisconsin.

I had sent a letter and made a few long phone calls to A&M asking for a reconsideration for a departmental scholarship (Geosciences) and they got back to me last week. They offered me a scholarship, and at A&M that also means I will get in-state tuition. I will be going to Texas now. Thread closeddd