UT Austin vs. UW Madison

<p>Hi!
I've applied for Fall 2014 admission from New Jersey for both UT-Austin and UW-Madison. My college choice will probably come down to these two schools so I wanted to see if anyone could show me what made either one unique/special/better choice. I believe I will most likely major in a business (most likely finance), economics, or chemistry and tuition will be somewhat of a factor. I've visited both and loved both of them, and if it worth noting, I would like to end up living in Texas in the future if that makes an impact.
Any questions, let me know! Thanks!</p>

<p>That’s quite a range of interests. Chemistry at UW is top notch (top 10?). The other programs you mention are also good. If you think you want to be in Texas you may want to try it with college. You could change your mind after experiencing Wisconsin, however. We can’t decide which is best for you. You need to figure out your goals. Working just after your bachelors or grad school? If Chemistry and grad school then UW would be great. If looking at the Texas job market UT may be more useful.</p>

<p>Costs- look at the entire package. Tuition and fees are one component. Travel costs another. Books and supplies will depend on your major and likely similar anywhere. Room and board- cost of a dorm room and food costs. Look at how each school runs things. Later apartment costs may be similar as the cost of living for rent and food could be similar. Easy to find off campus housing within walking distance at UW. Cars not needed nor a good idea in general. Some schools have high fixed dorm costs. If money matters you should include both the academic and the living costs to reach the final comparisons. Consider mandatory meal plan costs.</p>

<p>Well - both great schools but if you want to live in Texas after school seems like UT would be the better choice.</p>