College Essays

<p>I am an out of state student with a 1420/1600 on the SAT and 3.6 gpa. Almost top 10% of my high school. I want to become a petroleum engineering. On the application, is there an option to choose your major? I didn't see one on the preview application. Also, I have only spent about 2 hours on my essays. I'm planning on working on them a lot more the next few days. If I want to get into petroleum engineering should I finish them and apply on August 1 or wait and work on them more?</p>

<p>Engineering has changed so that while you may indicate a preference for “mechanical” or “petro,” all incoming engineering freshman are “general engineering” until after the 1st semester or 1st year when you are able to basically apply to the particular discipline of choice. For more detail, go on-line to the engineering dept’s websites. If memory serves me, when you apply using the Apply Texas site, once you submit your application (and that includes the essays), it’s a done deal. You are not able to go in and add to the application. But, please look over the Apply Texas website to confirm that! That’s just the way we understood it. Our son had his essays done prior to Aug. 1st so that when he completed the Apply Texas application the morning of Aug. 1, he was able to complete the entire application and submit everything all at once. Wish you the best!</p>

<p>Thank! And just a follow-up question. Does it look bad if I don’t do the optional essay?</p>

<p>Sorry if this is a stupid question but where can I preview the application?</p>

<p>applytexas.org and it should say in about the middle of the page 2014-2015 preview application</p>

<p>Thanks a lot for the help, I would have been late on the application lol. I’m also planning to apply for engineering.</p>

<p>To be honest, I don’t think they even read the essays. I would do the optional one to show that you’re serious and willing to put in extra time for your application. Don’t worry about the content of the essays and making them perfect though, it doesn’t really impact your app.</p>

<p>ok thanks</p>

<p>If you’re an academic admit (or TX top 10%) they do not read your essays for admission purposes, just for scholarships UNLESS you did not get into your major on the rolling admissions ( particularly engineering & business) then they do read them to consider you for the remaining slots. IF you are not an academic admit, you would be a review admit and everything is considered. If you don’t meet the minimums of 600 in both math and CR, you would still be a review admit (essays count) even though you meet the 1300+ total. </p>

<p>I agree with AGmomx2 and almost posted something similar myself. I would always recommend submitting the best application you can submit. Scholarships definitely take essays into account for those top 10%ers. And you just never know who’ll be reading them when.</p>

<p>I was barely a review applicant due to special circumstances involving the military. I explained it thoroughly in one of my essays, but it made no difference to them. Personally, I can’t be convinced that they read the essays for any applicant. </p>

<p>^ I’m sorry to hear that your essays didn’t help you, llilelmo. The college application process is daunting and can be so disappointing. I wish that everybody got good news all the time! :frowning: </p>

<p>I am certain that my son’s essays were reviewed because a particular scholarship committee brought them up with him. I know of others who can say the same thing.</p>

<p>AGmomx2 described the process well, I think, in her post #8.</p>

<p>If you really want to do your best in college admissions – for your major and for scholarships, you should complete all essays and do your best work on them. … But also get your applications in early!</p>

<p>ok thanks guys</p>