college junk mail - and the winner is....

<p>Probably NYU. It seems to be weekly. WashU mail comes pretty often. </p>

<p>Funny thing is D hasn't received a thing from U of Evansville, and we live in the state.</p>

<p>Hampden-Sydney, UMiami, Drexel, RIT, Gettysburg for us. Final tally: S1 received 124 lbs. of college junk mail (and does not count over 800 emails). This is more than he weighs!! We got less from WashU than I expected, given others' experiences here.</p>

<p>I think S2 forgot to check the box, though he says he did. Perhaps the problem is he also checked "undecided major." If we get <em>his</em> weight in college mail, we're in big trouble. (He's my defensive tackle.)</p>

<p>rrah, give me your address and I'll forward our U of Evansville mail to you. :^)</p>

<p>To present the other side of this issue, we have one personal example of a school mailing that made a difference. </p>

<p>D got a letter from Illinois Wesleyan inviting her to an "MEA Open House for Minnesota students". (MEA is day here in the chilly north where public school kids have off.) None of us had heard of IWU before, but the targeting of our state (somebody wants US!!) was enough of an appeal to read up on the school.</p>

<p>We liked what we read, and we did attend the MEA Open House. Now the school is one of D's favorites, and one she will be applying to in the fall.</p>

<p>Ursinus was second for my son. Almost applied there. Looks like a good school. I know that in my day the mailings worked. They snagged me. Also though I may not have applied to them, to this day, I remember some of those schools which I would never have known had it not been for their mailings. But with the amount of stuff my kids have been getting, I'm afraid the impact has been lost. Just too much to examine and consider. You just ignore it after a while , and with some kids it gets a negative connotation to have mailed them so much stuff, especially unsolicited.</p>

<p>D1 checked the box and we received bags and bags of stuff. She replied back to an e-mail from Tulane and from then on the onslaught began LOL
I enjoyed looking through them but honestly thought it was overkill. </p>

<p>D2 did not check the box and we could put the total of all of her mailings in one folder. She was happy, as she is more of the environmentalist type anyway. She did get on the e-mail list for the few schools she was seriously interested in and received a small amount from them.</p>

<p>Not checking the box really does work!</p>

<p>Over two years ago it was Arizona State and Case Western for high test scoring son- in contrast, single postcards from Yale, Harvard and UW with a reference to having high test scores and that he should consider the school. Have no idea which boxes son did/didn't check. He must have checked ones for the military- he got frequent mailings and even phone calls when he was only 16 senior year (they obviously didn't know his age, I answered the phone during the day- why they think they can reach a HS student during the school day...- found out once after talking with a recruiter they are not supposed to recruit until a certain age).</p>

<p>In postal mail, Fordham, for my son, class of '09. In email, Villa Julie has been pretty aggressive. For awhile it seemed like postcards were coming weekly from University of Chicago, but maybe they gave up.</p>

<p>King's College wins the prize in our house. This is a small private Christian college in the Empire State Building. Not kidding. Even after May 1 they have continued to call and write and email my D.</p>

<p>Wow, mammall - that is one D has not received. And I thought every private school on LI and NYC had sent her something! Very few from the SUNYs and CUNYs though.</p>

<p>It used to be Grinnell and Williams but once she sent her scores the mail has dried up. Not sure what to make of that, her scores were fine. I guess they feel they don't have to recruit her anymore.</p>

<p>Pitt is a frequent visitor to our mailbox now. And WPI, RPI, and RIT. She put down math major on the SAT so that has generated a lot of tech school mail.</p>

<p>I keep meaning to get a file folder box thing for the schools she's actually considering.</p>

<p>I always felt a little envious when D received nothing from WUStL, but now S is on their list. </p>

<p>Had to laugh at a recent mailing from Pitt, which extolled its study programs in "Mongolia and Wyoming"!</p>

<p>Student here...</p>

<p>Stevens Institute of Tech was by FAR the worst. And I got a lot of mail...</p>

<p>WashU sent me a lot, but not in comparison to at least 5 other schools (Fordham was another biggie, as was Rose-Hulman). Some of these I can understand (I checked the box for engineering), but I got a lot of mail from schools that didn't have any engineering at all.</p>

<p>I personally liked all the mail WashU sent me - I'm headed there in the fall.</p>

<p>BunsenBurner my son got constant mailings from RPI AND constant emails. Consider yourself lucky, LOL.</p>

<p>U Chicago sent a lot and it was always very literate and classy. Sigh. Really, really nice school.</p>

<p>Definitely WashU and Baylor.....Baylor would send emails daily and snail mail at least twice a week. Many times I replied to their emails asking them to stop. Didn't help.</p>

<p>Think of how much more money could be awarded if they would discontinue these mailings!!!!!</p>

<p>D got an e-mail yesterday from College Board, with this subject heading: "Meet me in the future." The sender came up as "SAT". </p>

<p>As a mom, I was disturbed by this. I wouldn't want kids to start thinking they should no longer automatically delete all e-mails with headings suggesting a meeting with them, since the communication might actually be from a legitimate organization. This type of marketing crosses an important line, IMO.</p>

<p>SpacedOutSax - probably less, because less people would be interested in their school, dropping scores, hurting alumni giving.</p>

<p>Do you know that colleges spend 15 -100 dollars per name to purchase the names of prospective students? I have been doing a ton of searching for schools online and have been bombarded with junkmail, phone calls and emails. It turns out that many of the online college search sites I have been using have been selling my name. Found this article on how to choose your sites wisely so you don't get spammed:</p>

<p>College</a> Search Sites: Web Surfers Beware | myUsearch blog</p>

<p>yeoldstudent - Reading the site's privacy policy is usually a good idea, especially when you are giving away your email or phone number. In fact, it would be pretty stupid not to do that.</p>