College makes amends 60 years after rejecting a student because she's black

<p>Sixty years ago, she was salutatorian of her high school and an aspiring teacher, but was denied admission to the college of her choice because she was black. She ended up working as a custodian.</p>

<p>Now, the Missouri college that rejected her is giving her an honorary bachelor's degree.</p>

<p>College</a> grants degree 60 years after rejection - U.S. news - Life - msnbc.com</p>

<p>Redemption, as this case illustrates, often comes 60 years too late.</p>

<p>Too little too late. You think they would catch things like this before 60 years. thats a lifespan of some people! But there was probably no media pressure back then for things like this to embarrass the school. This is tragic. Things like this are the reason why I’m ok with affirmative action.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I’m black also, but do you realize how illogical your statement is?</p>

<p>Yes. Yes I do.</p>

<p>She couldn’t get into the college of her choice, so she became a janitor. That just don’t make no sense.</p>

<p>very very tragic.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>This was the 1950’s, she probably thought that if she couldn’t get into a state university that she couldn’t get into any college. She didn’t give up because she was spoiled, she gave up because she believed that she was going to face the same discrimination everywhere.</p>

<p>There are countless such stories except very few have, or ever will, see the light of day.</p>