College suggestions for Culinary Arts plus other academic options

My daughter is interested in the culinary arts, but I’d like to look at 4 year colleges that have other academic options as well…especially entrepreneurship and innovative art. Any suggestions for schools that include some exposure to culinary areas but offer a greater breadth of academic options as well? Looking in the northeast.
Thanks!

Cornell has a joint program with the CIA and the Hotel School. I don’t know details but that may be something worth looking into: SHA/CIA Collaborative Degree Program | Cornell Nolan

1 Like

Drexel has culinary arts major as do several of the SUNYs.

1 Like

University of Houston has a large hospitality management program that a lot of chefs complete to learn about restaurant management.

1 Like

UCF

1 Like

Johnson and Wales

8 Likes

This may help. You can suss out the NE. Some may be food studies like NYU. I think @thumper hit a home run on this one with J&W unless the student is beyond superior academically.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/culinary-arts-major-1205

1 Like

Paul Smith’s College in the Adirondacks.

1 Like

It is not the Northeast, but Auburn has a program. Beautiful campus and great university.

1 Like

Johnson and Wales has a great culinary arts program, but it’s a full university. It has a very pretty campus, in my opinion. And it’s nice because the only thing there isn’t culinary. The CIA is fabulous…but culinary is all there is. And CIA is very costly!

4 Likes

When I was in college (the dark ages) Johnson and Wales was known as a culinary and hospitality school and not much else. When they started to athletically recruit S23 I completely dismissed them as not having any major he would be interested in only to find out that they now have more majors than I would ever imagine, including engineering (ABET certified).

They also have a self-designed major and the majors within culinary arts and hospitality are very varied.

4 Likes

https://usm.maine.edu/tourism-hospitality/
In beautiful Portland, Maine. We know a few kids who have had a great experience in this program at University of Southern Maine.

1 Like

Thanks all…very helpful!

Which Auburn do you mean?

Just to confirm - the interest is in cooking (you say innovative art) and not necessarily a hospitality program - correct ? Any stats you can share ?

Right, not general hospitality but chef skills, restaurant entrepreneurship, etc. And a separate interest is innovative art.

Auburn, Alabama

1 Like

I’m guessing few offer culinary majors. SUNY Alfred does as do a few others. Drexel too in the NE and the previously mentioned J&W.

You may check this list to see who actually does, who’s a four year ahd who might offer the other majors of interest. Actual cooking etc is likely hard to find but some of these, like Drexel, will likely fit the bill.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/culinary-arts-major-1205

Dixie Technical College has a culinary program that can be completed in just a year. There are also a plethora of other programs with options from Digital Design to Automotive Technology to phlebotomy. Check out their programs here! dixietech.edu/programs/

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.