colleges - accelerated BSN

<p>I'm starting my junior year of college this Fall and have decided to go into nursing. I've decided on taking the accelerated BSN path after I graduate, but I don't really have a clear vision of where to go.</p>

<p>I have some questions and would immensely appreciate it if you could help me out! Thanks!</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Is it better to go to a more prestigious school for nursing, education wise? I'm not talking about a private college or anything, but like a university compared to state university?</p>

<ol>
<li>Does it matter what college you go for nursing? Does it affect job outlooks or what employers think of you or does it all not matter too much as long as you have your BSN degree?</li>
<li>What are some of the top colleges in California that offer the accelerated BSN path? What are some colleges that you would recommend?</li>
</ol></li>
</ol>

<p>You want a nursing program that is respected by employers, that has a high pass rate for the exam, and that is in a location where there are many clinical opportunities. There are many colleges that do not have a prestigious overall reputation but that have a great nursing program. </p>

<p>It is not worth paying $45K a year tuition for a nursing degree - you will make the same starting salary as someone who went to a public college that has a good nursing program…</p>

<p>Ideally, you would attend a nursing program that is in the same geographic area as where you eventually want to work. That is because clinicals can provide an opportunity for persons involving in hiring decisions to get to know prospective employees, and for nurses to find out if they would like working in a particular institution.</p>

<p>For nursing, like the medical profession in general, the prestige of your school’s name is far less important. It is hard enough to get into any school that what truly matters more is your GPA and your experience. It’s even harder in California because there are just less schools and less places per capita than on the east coast. If you get into a CalState program, consider yourself lucky! </p>

<p>Good luck.</p>