Colorado School of Mines Admission for Fall 2023

I’ve heard from someone that goes to mines as a sophomore that they had to buy a house off campus a few miles away and they have to drive to campus now. My parents are really concerned about that and I am too, living in walking distance to campus is much preferred

I agree with you and your parents. In my daughter’s case she lived on Campus this year and will be living in a On-Campus Apartment next year. She is glad to have two years within walking distance. It’s likely she will need to live in an apartment her Junior and Senior year that will require a short drive to Campus. She says she will be ok with it by that time as she will be doing Summer internships and driving to work everyday.

Whatever your decision, I am sure it will work out fine and you will get a great education and have a great experience. Good Luck!

This year’s OOS COA is $64k plus if I recall correctly.

Here is a link to the website showing published costs. It’s not $64k.

I am literally looking at my son’s 2023-2024 Financial Aid Announcement from Mines dated December 8, 2022 and it shows Estimated Cost of Attendance — Total Cost of $64,885. This not from a website. We received it in snail mail at my home. $60,829 billed by Mines plus $3,556 in books, personal allowance, transportation allowance and loan fees. The Total Cost is $64,885 for the year.

That is helpful information. Mines has had a 4% increase, then, in the direct costs to students for 2023-24.

Same as mine - $64,885 for the year. There is increase of few percent of COA for 2023-2024.

2 Likes

Wow, I expected that we will get an official reply for the general sholarship no matter of the results.

I was really hopeful about Mines, but I think my son made the right choice with RPI. Texas A&M’s ETAM was the deal breaker for that school.

FAFSA is the Free application for student aid, a federal form that determines if you qualify for federal aid (Pell grant) and a student loan. ALL students only get a $5500 loan for freshman year.

The $55k you are referring to is your estimated family contribution, and it will be the same at every school. The feds aren’t saying you should pay $55k for college but that’s what they estimate the family can pay (no one ever thinks they can/should pay that amount).

Some schools use FAFSA to award their own aid, but they don’t have to. They can give it out however they like (well, there are some rules). Remember Mines is a state school so it doesn’t have the endowment that some private schools have, and it has an obligation to education Colorado students first (or the state legislature gets a little angry and take it out on the budget).

Housing in Golden is getting tighter as the metro area goes west. However, many students have been doing it for years and years. There are apartments, Greek housing, houses for rent (may need to live with 10 of your friends!), etc. I know several students at Mines and they make it work. There is also light rail that goes very close to campus so it is not necessary to drive to campus every day.

But yeah, housing could be better.

1 Like