Colorado School of Mines Admission for Fall 2023

We went in January to the first admitted student event. My son loved it. So did I.

It’s a serious STEM school in a beautiful setting above a cozy mountain town. When a student wants to spend free time away from campus, they can walk down the hill to Golden, go to Denver (lots of pro sports, restaurants, museums, etc.) on the RTD (freshman get a complimentary annual pass), or head to the mountains, for hiking, skiing and/or snowboarding.

My impression is that Mines is hard work, but you can go relax your mind in many different nearby settings. The students were all very nice and seemed serious, but pretty relaxed.

Also, for us it’s an easy non-stop flight. We took the light rail from the airport to the campus. It was very easy.

2 Likes

Love that description of Mines @Steve6 and exactly how I would describe Mines too

Thank you! It sounds great! Hubby would like our son to attend also, so he can hit the slopes. lol

2 Likes

Registration for “explore mines” on April 1st is open!

1 Like

Thank you @busymommyof4. Just signed up.

1 Like

Does anyone know when, or if they have already announced, scholarships from the general scholarship application?

We are going to visit next weekend and getting excited. I really hope our son chooses Mines. :crossed_fingers:t2:

I did not get anything yet. Did you apply before priority deadline?

Yes, thanks!

1 Like

I know they have released Harvey, and, at the very least, have interviewed for Grewcock. But we have not seen/heard anything about the general application. Enjoy your visit!

1 Like

Did anyone get any updates of general scholarship application and merit scholarship appeal from Mines? It is already April and need to make the final decision soon.

Thanks!

My son got an email on Monday denying his merit appeal (expected since he got the max Provost award for out of state). The email said general scholarship awards will be mid-April.

1 Like

May I know when did you submit your merit appeal and did you meet the priority deadline for general scholarship application. Just to figure it out when we will get the results.

Thanks!

He appealed about a month ago if I recall correctly. He submitted his application for the general about a day or two before the priority deadline.

1 Like

Just got updated from Mines for merit appeal , they only max to Provost award for my son (OOS). It does not help that much, any ideas how much they will give out for general scholarship in average if awarded?

1 Like

No idea. My son got the same max OOS Provost. RPI is in the pole position unless Mines awards him a significant scholarship. RPI was very generous.

1 Like

I got the max merit scholarship award ($14,000 a year for the Presidential Scholarship) and I am expected to pay $55,000 a year according to FAFSA. I also applied to the general scholarship well before the priority deadline and the Grewcock scholarship. I didn’t get an interview for Grewcock sadly. Haven’t heard anything regarding the general scholarship. I really really like Mines and it’s a great fit for me but its hard justifying $55k a year with other strong instate options (VT, UVA, etc.). Hopefully something comes in soon.

Also, I’ve heard some pretty bad things about the housing situation. I am in contact with someone at Mines, and apparently they’ve had to buy a house a few miles off campus and they have to drive to campus because they couldn’t get good housing. Does anyone else have any insight into the housing situation at mines?

We are in the same box. Spoke with Mines Fin Aid yesterday. They said if you haven’t gotten Gen Scholarship email yet you are not getting it. That locked in RPI for my son.

I am curious where you are getting $55k/year if you have a $14k/year scholarship? Mines’ own website says the total direct cost for OOS on-campus for 2022-23 is $58,230.00. If you have a $14,000/year scholarship, then your net cost should be $44,230.00, subject to change on an annual basis. This is substantially different than $55k/year. Am I missing something?

It said 55,000 a year (accounting for the merit scholarship, iirc) on a FAFSA thingy when we applied for aid (we only got a 5k loan, haha). I’m getting all sorts of inconsistent numbers on the total net price, so I’m going with that. After hearing how much it is from other people though I’m kinda wondering if something happened or what not so I’ll go back and check and see if I misread or missed something.

My Daughter attends Mines and received the Presidential scholarship as well. This year cost us around 40k including Room and Board. Mines charges by the credit hour up to 15 hours per semester and then from 15 to 20 hours per semester there is no additional tuition cost. Additionally, she received college credit for her AP’s and Dual Enrollment classes resulting in at least 21 hours towards her major. She is easily on track to complete her engineering degree in 4 years. Her classes are small between 30 and 60 kids, loves Golden and is very active in Club Sports and other academic clubs. Yes, the only downside is off campus housing. They are trying to improve that situation but not sure how fast things are moving. All that said, I agree, VT and UVA are solid options so it’s a good problem to have