Columbia University Science Honors Program ENTRANCE EXAMINATION

<p>Hi guys,</p>

<p>Good luck to all of you today! I remember stalking this thread when I was a freshman. I was accepted freshman year, so post if you get in!! If you need any advice on courses or anything, PM me or post here! I hope to see you all next year!!</p>

<p>i went to the application site a few hours agoā€¦nothing thenā€¦ <em>sigh</em></p>

<p>I checked the online app thingy and there was nothing. Guess weā€™ll have to keep waitingā€¦</p>

<p>this is ridiculous. 3/4 of the dayā€™s over and no news. did the people last year use the app yourself website and got emails from columbia shp before?</p>

<p>i wish i had the guts to call and see if they have voicemail</p>

<p>hey can you tell us which are the best courses and which are the worst courses?
and do we get to do a lot of handson stuff?

<p>my teacher said this was the first year they did the online appā€¦</p>

<p>Last year, it was all snail mail. The app was a paper app, the rec letters were mailed in with the transcript. There wasnā€™t a website, but they figured that with the ridiculous number of apps it was getting a little crazy. Last year, we got a letter EXACTLY on the day they said, June 25. </p>

<p>Last year (sophomore year), I took the nanotechnology class and the general relativity class. Both were really great, but I wouldnā€™t recommend taking physics/math classes until youā€™ve had a physics or math class (preferably calculus) in high school. </p>

<p>There are hands on classes, like organic chemistry is supposed to be an entirely-hands on class, while others are note-driven. But the instructors are really nice. </p>

<p>Graph theory and a lot of the math classes are supposed to be really hardā€¦ :p</p>

<p>Oh and by the way, if you donā€™t get in this year, donā€™t worry about it too much. I know some people that took the test their freshman year, didnā€™t get in, but got in their sophomore year.</p>

<p>i am a sophomoreā€¦ was? idk</p>

<p>getting oh-so-frusratedā€¦ my blood pressure <em>sniff</em></p>

<p>should iā€¦call and hang upā€¦?</p>

<p>Haha I remember pacing in front of the mailbox and scaring my mailman last year. Itā€™s a great program with a lot of enthusiastic instructors and itā€™s a great opportunity to learn about Columbia. They even have a special tour/visit/info session for SHP students, so you donā€™t have to tour with everyone else. Plus all the students there are epically awesome and pwn at life :slight_smile: (just had to add that)</p>

<p>omg iā€™m a freshman and i reallllyyyy want to get in.
it sounds really fun.
thanks for the info :)</p>

<p>called! they sent it by us mail today</p>

<p>and it says ā€œplease note that the results will not be online or sent by emailā€ and over the phoneā€¦</p>

<p>soā€¦ we just wait for the mail <em>sniff</em></p>

<p>ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
ack iā€™m so mad.
oh well.
so much for that.
D:</p>

<p>i swear this is not goodā€¦ not another whole day of anxiety!!!</p>

<p>aw, that stinks. </p>

<p>Haha, one of my friends took human physiology. We would go out to lunch afterwards (lots of cheap yummy food near Columbia), and he would always elaborate on what he learned over lunchā€¦respiratory system was ok but when it got to digestive or gastrointestinal we made him stop so we could enjoy our food :p</p>

<p>just out of curiosity, do seniors do this too?</p>

<p>Yep, there are seniors there. Iā€™m going to do it my senior year. And Iā€™m sure some of them took the test their junior year.</p>

<p>Just an interesting fact: My friend told me that the Dean of Admissions at MIT, Stu Schmill, did this program :slight_smile: Maybe he has a soft spot for SHPā€™ers? (just kidding :p)</p>

<p>do they send a letter even if u donā€™t get in?
I need some closure or iā€™ll keep hoping.</p>

<p>Last year, they sent a letter to those not accepted also.</p>

<p>ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā€¦thatā€™s exactly how i feel</p>