Coming from a 2015'er

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I just want to reach out to the African American community.</p>

<p>I was accepted into multiple schools this year but ultimately decided to attend UVA.</p>

<p>If you have any general questions ask.</p>

<p>I also found this songs up building in my quest to college</p>

<p>YouTube</a> - Young Gifted and Black - Bob and Marcia.</p>

<p>I know I’m shamelessly piggybacking off this thread, but I’m making the same offer - if anyone has any questions about college admissions (or at least how I navigated the process), please feel free to ask!</p>

<p>And bigshot3008, that song is just too cute.</p>

<p>Share your SAT study habits, please.</p>

<p>And also your college search process. :slight_smile:
Thanks</p>

<p>How’d you guys survive junior year ? x.x
And does a sub 4.0 GPA look bad for Ivies and other top 20 schools ?</p>

<p>Are you serious Mr. Luggs? lol.</p>

<p>I have a question!</p>

<p>How did you choose your schools and what did you base it off of? Did you get into the school you wanted? Did you visit all of them? And how many?</p>

<p>Okay its really questions. lol</p>

<p>Haha yay you got it, lol.
And no, I wasn’t being serious at all. haha.</p>

<p>Just ■■■■■■■■ :P</p>

<p>Haha. But I’d greatly appreciate it if you enlightened us on the college admissions experience XD</p>

<p>^Psychologically traumatizing. Seriously. Steel yourself.</p>

<p>Dude, my first post was a joke :stuck_out_tongue:
But I would really like to learn more about the college admissions experience.

• What was the hardest part about picking schools?
  • Is there anything you wish you could’ve done?</p>

<p>Thank god that was a joke! I seriously hate when kids do that on here. Its annoying and I think they are secretly bragging and just want to hear how great they are doing=/lol</p>

<p>I agree. I think society should usher in a new,******-free age of intellectual chivalry.
Most of us are all too often lost in the age of mass media and cutthroat college admissions.</p>

<p>I am going to Johns Hopkins although I’ve considered other colleges as well.
Feel free to PM me as well</p>

<p>Here’s a post I made a while ago about study habits for the SAT that I should have followed more closely: <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/10675788-post3.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/10675788-post3.html&lt;/a&gt;.&lt;/p&gt;

<p>

</p>

<p>Well, when it came to the schools I applied to, my method was the following:</p>

<p>Think about local schools in the area and apply to a few.<br>
Look at the USNWR top three schools and apply to those.
Apply to another 2 schools on a whim.</p>

<p>If you’re already on this website, you’re in far better shape than I was.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I actually had no preference.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I visited all but three of the schools I applied to (and I didn’t visit 2 that I got into).</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I applied to 11 schools, got into 10, and was waitlisted at 1.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>The only reasonable excuse for having a sub 4.0 GPA is being a STEM major. Since you’re in high school, that excuse doesn’t apply. Your GPA should be quite high (A+ is what you ought to aim for).</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I totally blew it off, but I got my act together in time for my midterms and finals. </p>

<p>Now that I think about it, I’m actually not that useful here. :3</p>

<p>I, too would love to help anyone who needs help. Pm me and I’ll get back to you.</p>

<p>I was jk about those questions Ksmarand, haha. But thanks anyway xD</p>

<p>When is a good time to start visiting schools? My parents want us to visit a couple this summer.
I feel like it’s to early, though.</p>

<p>^What grade are you in MrLuggs?</p>

<p>I’m visiting some this summer back at home because I might not have time during the year. And then during Jr. Year I will visit all the schools I want to go to on the east coast=)</p>

<p>But I’m still confused on which schools to apply to lol. I know I’m definitely applying to the top 4 UCs, of course USC, and some ivy leagues ,but I don’t know the best one for me.</p>

<p>I’m a sophomore.
I don’t know what schools I want to apply to. I thought I did, but I’m too fickle Dx</p>

<p>Ok! I will start checking this thread more often.</p>

<p>And here we go!</p>

<p>@ksarmand- Thanks, I heard it at this AA award ceremony I attended.</p>

<p>@BlackRose101- Buy the Blue Book, do at the very least 1 section a night. Thoroughly time yourself and go over each question even if you got it correct. Have a target score and predict how many “skips” you can use to reach your goal. I even stayed with my math teacher during his off period and we went through the math section and answered my questions and told me his thought process for every question.</p>

<p>As far as college search, I knew I wanted to major in business. I knew I wanted a top-notch education from a prestigious school. I went straight to the rankings and applied to the top schools. I chose UVA whos b- school is ranked #2 in the country.</p>

<p>@Mrluggs- Junior year… hmmm that was actually my easiest year. Get straights A’s its almost the last time to bring your GPA up before College app.</p>

<p>@Loveispeac3-As far as college search, I knew I wanted to major in business. I knew I wanted a top-notch education from a prestigious school. I went straight to the rankings and applied to the top schools. I choose UVA whos b- school is ranked #2 in the country.</p>

<p>5, yes and yes. I recommend a visit because you want a nice “campus fit”.</p>

<p>@Mrluggs- Nothing was hard about picking. I originally started with 10, after writing essays I became lazy and ended up applying to five. I suggest you start college essays asap. DO NO PROCRASTINATE.</p>

<p>Visit schools ASAP, never put off to tomorrow what you can do today!</p>

<p>Pick a major, look at the highest ranked schools for that major.</p>

<p>SIDE NOTE:</p>

<p>Many African Americans fought for us to have the opportunity to read, attend same school as “whites” and now attend college. If you are going to do college, do it right. “[Aim] for the moon so if you fall you land on the [stars].”- Kanye West</p>

<p>SAT: Put all your energy into CR and M. I don’t even know if writing gets looked at anymore.</p>

<p>And I played this song before before opening my college decisions</p>

<p><a href=“No Bad News from the Wiz - YouTube”>No Bad News from the Wiz - YouTube;

<p>well not really but it is fitting.</p>