Computer Repair HELP!

<p>Can anyone recommend someone to repair my daughters computer? Long story short, and please do not get me started, she needs someone to replace the charger port on her Samsung Series 9 computer. Also, since she has a BIG CBH project due in the next three weeks, time is unfortunately of the essence. </p>

<p>Any help is appreciated.</p>

<p>If she cannot charge using the AC adapter, can you buy her a docking station to use for the immediate time and then get the repair done over break?</p>

<p>Half of the charger is stuck in the port. Would your solution still work with the charging port itself being out of commission?</p>

<p>There are some computer repair places in Tuscaloosa, but I haven’t looked into them. OIT (on the bottom floor of Gordon Palmer Hall) might be able to suggest a place. She might also get a tech person willing to do the repair for a small fee on their own time.</p>

<p>Otherwise, there are always the CBH lab computers.</p>

<p>Sniner…Is there any part of the charging stem (metal part) remaining on the cord? If so, she might be able to put some superglue on the remaining part, hold it in the charging port until the glue sets up, and pull out the wayward portion that way. If not, anything that can fit into the port with superglue on the end might bond well enough with the broken tip to at least get it removed. My D2 did something similar with the tip of a USB antenna, but we were able to get a grip on the broken tip with some thin needle-nose pliers. Not sure if that would work in your D’s case though. Good Luck!!</p>

<p>Sniner, it depends on the model/manufacturer. I don’t know anything about that Samsung to answer. </p>

<p>NRDMOM’s son is good with computers and close by once he gets back. I’ll let her know he may need to come to the rescue.</p>

<p>Edited to add - I would not try using superglue just yet if there’s a warranty on the machine because it will likely void your warranty.</p>

<p>Well, interesting that you would recommend superglue. Apparently, when the charger broke originally, she was able to get the end out of the machine. However, rather than buying a new charger, or calling her mother at that point, she attempted to superglue it back together and use it. Epic failure! Thanks for the idea.</p>

<p>After reading this last post I am fairly confident that NRDMOM’s son can take apart the machine enough to get the tip out. You can buy a universal charger at places like Best Buy (hate that store though) or have one shipped overnight from Amazon.</p>

<p>Yes, he may be able to remove it assuming that the tip is not now superglued to the inside of the charger- which I fear may be the case. Ugh!</p>

<p>She is on her way back from Tennessee now. I do not know when they are expected to arrive.</p>

<p>For future reference, OEM chargers can usually be had for around $15-$20 on Amazon, with aftermarket chargers being around $5 less.</p>

<p>NRDSON says she needs professional help.</p>

<p>Good Luck!</p>

<p>NRDMOM- thanks for asking your son.</p>

<p>Is she Freshman CBH? (forgive me for not remembering) he could probably still take a gander at it in class if it’s not resolved by tomorrow.</p>

<p>Yes CBH freshmen who I believe may live across the hall from your son.</p>

<p>Sniner: PM’d you.</p>

<p>(Based on over 20 years experience working in IT)</p>

<p>If the system is under warranty you will want to contact the manufacturer. They will either direct you to a local authorized repair location or they will request that you ship the system to them and they will return a repaired system. Any attempt to repair the system or to go to a non-authorized local repair location will void the warranty. Most manufacturers have a means of telling when a system has been open and if it is done by any one who is not authorized by them, including a computer service professional that they have not authorized, it will void their warranty.</p>

<p>If the system is not under warranty. Opening the case of a laptop is pretty simple. A laptop is just a plastic case with the components housed inside. The motheroard and other critical components will be screwed in place and opening the case won’t displace them. There are about 6-10 (depending on model) tiny little screws (often the screw drivers that come with an eye glass repair kit will fit) that need to be removed, then the top and bottom of the laptop can be CAREFULLY separated (but do so slowly and carefully because there is a ribbon cable connecting the screen to the motherboard in the bottom of the laptop and if it’s pulled out it’s a PAIN to try to plug back in. If you can separate the top and bottom of the laptop even an inch or two, then you might be able to get a screwdriver or something similar inside to push the connector out from the inside instead of pulling it out from the outside. If you take it to a service shop, that is EXACTLY what they will do and they will charge $60-80 for the 10-15 minutes it will take them, almost any service shop has a minimum service charge. I’d imagine there are plenty of students on campus that have opened laptops or even built their own systems and would be comfortable attempting to do so, but not certain where to locate them. </p>

<p>(once again if NOT under warranty) If the superglue was not dry and the connector is superguled inside, then I’d try really hard to pry it out or push it out from the inside. The connector will be connected to the motherboard and replacing it would mean soldering a new component onto the motherboard which you would have to hunt far and wide to find anyone willing to do. Most places at that point would just recommend replacing the motherboard and by the time you pay for parts and labor, it’d be just as cost effective to replace the system. </p>

<p>Feel free to PM me with the model of the laptop and I can hunt down the service manual for it and if there is anyone there willing to attempt to open it, I can try to talk them through it via email or phone, but since I’m 500 miles away I can’t offer any hands on help.</p>

<p>A few years ago, the charger port quit working entirely on one of our laptops. We bought a standalone battery charger and an extra battery. Used one in the laptop while charging the other one. Not as convenient, but worked until we replaced the laptop on the next Black Friday.</p>

<p>Thanks. I will forward these suggestions on to my husband who is working on this with her.</p>

<p>Does anyone have any experience with local repair of hardware computer issues - either OIT personnel on campus or anywhere off campus? S has an issue w/ his keyboard and power supply - parts are being shipped from Dell, but are now delayed beyond his departure from here (IL), and so he is taking the whole kaboodle w/ him to UA, but I feel uneasy about him getting the right help down there. Surely there are computer repair places in Tuscaloosa? The OIT site says that they will not do hardware issues - only software issues. Any help + advice is appreciated.</p>

<p>Hardware issues for UA-owned computers are usually handled by the individual college’s tech support team in cooperation with OIT. While your son could likely search to find out how to fix the computer himself, tech support likely knows of people or places who will do the repair for a small fee.</p>