Confusion with all the Deposits for housing and enrollment

<p>So I’m reading the check list of fees. I went to a reception for Alabama yesterday in the Bay Area. One interesting think we overheard was that you could make the housing deposit and regardless if you attened you would be refunded $225 of the $250 you deposited. But when I looked it up, I have to make the enrollment deposit of $250 first that is not refundable at all. So there is no way to make the housing deposit without commiting the nonrefundable enrollment deposit?</p>

<p>Thank you for any clarification.</p>

<p>[Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/new_students/apply.cfm]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/new_students/apply.cfm)</p>

<p>[Freshman</a> Enrollment Deposit - Undergraduate Admissions - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://gobama.ua.edu/deposit/]Freshman”>http://gobama.ua.edu/deposit/)</p>

<p>I looked at these links. My head is spinning. Son was very happy to go to the reception. Got to speak with someone in the engineering department.</p>

<p>you are correct. enrollment deposit is not refundable. housing deposit is.</p>

<p>it is up to you. make the deposits and have a good selection time. don’t deposit until late in the game, take what you can get in a dorm room.</p>

<p>of course, none of us want to put down a deposit that we think we do not need to, but IMO it is just part of the application process.</p>

<p>Yes, that’s right. You must first pay the enrollment deposit which is non-refundable. If you meet specific deadlines and change your mind you’ll get the $225 back out of the $250 for the housing deposit.</p>

<p>Have you visited?</p>

<p>Paying the Housing deposit early is key to getting the most out of your housing selection because it grants you priority. :)</p>

<p>You have the make the non-refundable enrollment deposit in order to make the housing deposit. So if you don’t end up going, you’ll be out the enrollment deposit plus $25 of the housing deposit. I don’t think there’s any way around that, unless you’re very low income and can get a waiver of the deposits. Last October we figured there was about a 50/50 chance of D going to Bama, and decided it was worth the risk to make the deposit. She is happily attending today, and in a great suite with great roommates in her first choice dorm.</p>

<p>We waited until April to make the deposit and consequently had the last date to select housing. We were fortunate enough to have someone pull him in, otherwise I would have worried all spring and summer about where he would end up as at orientation not everyone yet had rooms at that point. If there is a very good chance he will go, I would make my deposits. If the chance is low, don’t pay any money yet and take your chances. I think every freshman DID eventually get housing, although they probably did not get their first choice.</p>

<p>Thank you for the clarification. Hmmm its up on his list, but he hasn’t applied to anything else yet. Debating on it now. But Bama is in top 5 choices with all his reaches.</p>

<p>We faced this with another university when my son was applying in fall of 2010. To be honest I feel it is extremely pressure oriented to even accept deposits this early, putting pressure on students who don’t know where they will be accepted and don’t want to jeopardize housing options. We paid, and eventually forfeited, the admission deposit. I anticipate going through this again next year with my 2014 grad since he will probably apply to at least one school with rolling admissions. </p>

<p>Just keep in mind that it is a no-no to double deposit. If your student comes to the decision that they are going to accept another offer they need to officially notify the first university to relinquish their spot before accepting another.</p>

<p>We made the two deposits in October even though all the other schools my D applied to did not release admission decisions until spring. But I did so with the internal decision that if she chose a non-UA route, we would have made a little “donation” to the school of $250 + $25. I considered it a trade-off for the peace of mind of knowing she should be able to get the housing of her choice. She chose UA (and is quite happy she did) but really felt no pressure due to the deposits. On the other hand, she is very practical so she couldn’t ignore the scholarship opportunities but they are more the icing on the cake. She fell in love with Bama but we had not visited at the time I made the deposits.</p>

<p>I agree with your lattelady, we haven’t visited yet and son is still ‘considering’ a few other schools, but to me this is all a matter of positioning himself to be in the best spot possible. If for some reason (which I actually doubt), he decides Bama is not the school for him, I will happily relinquish the deposit as a contribution toward a school that is providing an amazing college experience to many thousands of students at an affordable price. It is totally understandable to me why the school needs to start the housing headcount early, if everyone waited until late spring it would be a nightmare! We paid the deposits as soon as his links allowed!!! RTR</p>

<p>^^You are exactly right, upstate. It would be impossible to prepare for and guarantee housing for freshmen and other returning students who seek housing for the next year if they waited until spring to require deposits. It would also make it difficult for returning students to make an informed decision for the following year early enough to secure housing. It would be a lose-lose situation in my opinion.</p>

<p>We were in the same boat. My son was accepted a couple of weeks ago but he was also looking at a couple of other schools. We decided to pay both deposits to help guarantee him an early place in line for a room. It is one of those calls, can I part with $225 (all but $25 of the housing deposit is refundable) and we made that financial call to take the risk. He decided yesterday to end his search and stick with UA!! Roll Tide!</p>