Confusion

<p>I'm half Hispanic (my mother's from Cuba and my dad's Irish) and I always have issues filling out forms. I'm looking at one right now: there's one question saying "Are you Hispanic/Latino" with a yes or no option, and another one for Ethnicity, without Hispanic being one of the options. I can't say Hispanic for race and then say I'm White Non-Hispanic... help?</p>

<p>Hispanic/Latino is an ethnicity and Hispanics can be of any race(s). I think the problem with your form is that while they are correctly separating ethnicity and race, they have incorrectly called their race categories ‘ethnicity’, the CA last year did this. </p>

<p>I’m guessing that the question on your form that asks for ‘ethnicity’ lists categories like white, AA, Asian, NA, etc.), is that correct? If so, you should first mark yes for the Hispanic/Latino question and then mark only white (if your mother is also white) or white and another category if you mother is of another race(s).</p>

<p>You’re right about what’s listed under ethnicity, but my mom is 100% Hispanic. So I check White Non-Hispanic?</p>

<p>What I’m saying is that even though they say “Ethnicity” what they are really asking for is race, you ethnicity has already been asked in the Hispanic yes/no question. </p>

<p>When you check:</p>

<ol>
<li>Hispanic - yes </li>
</ol>

<p>and </p>

<ol>
<li>The “white” box.</li>
</ol>

<p>Your complete answer is that you are a white Hispanic. </p>

<p>As I said earlier, you have the option of checking multiple race boxes, so if your mom and dad are both 100% white, you would only check the white box, but if one is partially another race (for instance if your mom is part white and part indigenous (original peoples of the Americas) then you would mark both white and American Indian/Alaska Native.</p>

<p>Sorry, I was pretty tired when I replied. :slight_smile: Thanks so much!</p>

<p>Not a problem, good luck!</p>