Consider your daughter's life and health when choosing a school

I wonder if private universities in states likely to ban or severely restrict abortion will provide financial and logistical support for students who may need to drive or fly out of state to terminate a pregnancy – following the lead of some private companies. For example, Tulane, which I mention not to pick on them specifically but because it’s a school my D23 is considering.

4 Likes

I had an earlier post deleted, so let me try to rephrase my post. There are some very serious implications for all doctors, and ObGyn’s in particular in the way some of the anti-abortion laws are being written. It will be legally risky to provide even basic healthcare to women between the ages of 15 and 45 under these laws under the premise that any care provided could potentially impact an even unknown pregnancy, and result in criminal charges against the doctor.

I would recommend that any pre-med student consider another career path. In addition to all the other challenges facing doctors, it appears that providing healthcare to certain patients could increasingly result in criminal charges. Why take that risk?

7 Likes

The Missouri and Texas trigger laws have multiple ways in which they can jump across state lines to prosecute people in other states, and it is likely that the Supreme Court will rule in favor of the more restrictive states when these laws are challenged. In other words, abortion could effectively be banned nationwide within a few years.

Anyone looking for further implications of this ruling should read Justice Thomas’ concurring opinion. It appears this court is planning to address other unenumerated “rights”, including those of LGBTQ+ citizens, in the future.

20 Likes

It’s going to be messy. States have reciprocal laws for extradition, but that’s going to fall by the wayside with respect to laws on abortion and might makes things very messy.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/05/politics/connecticut-abortion-protection-law-out-of-state-lawsuits/index.html

And yes, gay marriage, contraception access, and even gay sexual relations are related rights (well, no longer rights with this decision) from cases which Thomas says were wrongly decided. Those could all be on the chopping block.

9 Likes

I am happy to be a MA resident.

19 Likes

I know college is the concentration of this thread, but the military will also be affected by this. Many military bases are in places where abortion will be illegal.

11 Likes

It’s all just surreal. I’m furious. I have two S’s but have nieces, friends with D’s, etc and am just nauseated that this has to be considered now for school, jobs, etc. Just horrifying.

16 Likes

It’s a very personal decision that each individual needs to weigh the pros and cons of for themselves.

5 Likes

Make sure that your children know their rights. There was another Supreme Court ruling yesterday, I believe, which stated that the failure, by police, to tell someone of their Miranda Rights is not a violation of their Civil Rights. In such cases a person must say “I want a Lawyer” and “I will remain silent”.

15 Likes

IUDs and LARCs are , as of today, illegal in several states. Here in PA, one of the candidates has already made it a platform issue to criminalize most forms of birth control.

4 Likes

I need to re state (no pun intended) my prior post. My kids (D and S) attended undergrad and grad school in the following locations: New York, Maine, Minnesota and California. They chose to apply to schools only in certain states.

11 Likes

OTOH, compassionate MDs are more necessary than ever.

15 Likes

Wholeheartedly agree. As part of the “etc,” I would add, …and travel.

Editing to add: I know it will affect where I go and where I choose to spend my money.

21 Likes

My daughters have an IUD/ring/arm implant, all since 16 (one method per girl, not all).

5 Likes

And all of these methods were NOT available back in the 70s. There are choices now that simply did not exist back then. Times change.

3 Likes

Between reproductive rights and how teachers are treated and micromanaged, we have much to think about with college selection.

6 Likes

IUDs were available in the 1970s for sure

4 Likes

Yes, but not the hormonal ones; and there were safety issues with the ones that existed. The Dalkon Shield was released in the early 70’s and caused horrible complications and several deaths.

5 Likes

Yes, in my field there is a lot of discussion on Twitter about relocating professional conferences to states where pregnant attendees could get good health care if they needed it.

21 Likes

If college kids, male or female, don’t want to deal with unwanted pregnancy, abstinence is the only fool-proof method of birth control. The SCOTUS ruling doesn’t change that.

Abstinence also protects against STD’s and potential adverse health effects from birth control.

7 Likes