Consider your daughter's life and health when choosing a school

All three realized that they were not responsible enough to take a pill every day. One made a planned parenthood appointment for the implant when she was 19, our gynecologist doesn’t do them. We live in a metro area, couldn’t get an appointment in poor areas, got right in in a wealthy town.

3 Likes

Ditto, my boyfriend and I chose our PhD programs and current jobs in a couple of those states after being similarly selective.

We were born and raised in southern states prior to that (NC and TN for me, AR and GA for him) and decided to look elsewhere, though most of our friends and family still live there. To each their own.

3 Likes

By the time college comes around, boys and girls have been biologically programmed to reproduce for many years. Most here don’t get married until their 30’s, abstinence isn’t really natural for adults. All of my kids are serial long term daters, which is great, because I don’t really expect any of them to marry in their 20’s.

19 Likes

This thread is starting to drift off-topic. Please remember this site isn’t a debate club.

2 Likes

An important point is that this is not simply about women who do not wish to be pregnant. WOmen who have ectopic pregnancies or who have complications have DIED in some cases because appropriate care was not able to be given, due to rules or legislation.

38 Likes

Well that’s no consolation to rape victims- which happens on college campuses much more than is reported. Number one concern for my college aged daughter would be avoiding any college in a state that doesn’t make exception for rape.

29 Likes

Be careful with those rape exceptions. Per Seattle Times’ article, in Idaho one needs to provide a police report to be eligible for the exception. The problem (besides that many rapes do not get reported to the police) is that it is impossible to get a copy of the report where there is an ongoing investigation.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/supreme-court-ruling-triggers-idahos-law-banning-nearly-all-abortions/

14 Likes

Not sure what your point was here, but poorer areas would tend to serve poorer people who may not be able to drive across town so it would make sense that those clinics are busier. Why would you even try to get an appt in a poorer area if you don’t live there and appts are so available elsewhere? When I went to PP for birth control I picked a place far away from my parents; that was my only criteria.

Married ds lives in a state that doesn’t have abortion restrictions. Unmarried ds does.

1 Like

I think her point was that everything is harder for poor people, including getting appointments in their very own neighborhoods. Maybe the clinic in the poor neighborhood was actually closer to her–but I’ll let her respond to that.

14 Likes

Universities Begin Officially Reacting To Supreme Court’s Overturning Of Roe V. Wade

1 Like

It would be wise to include in college dorm lists boxes of plan B and/or C for those interested, as the boxes last several years. Actually, that would seem something to consider regardless of where one attends school.

15 Likes

agreed, I am also so worried about women with desperately desired pregnancies who cannot continue them due to fatal fetal anomalies or severe medical issues. Women are going to die.

16 Likes

In the world that existed until 9:59 am EDT today, I agreed with you 100%. I can’t in good conscious recommend that someone go into a field where they have to potentially lie to a patient about their health choices or risk jail. There are other jobs.

Unfortunately, as our country slips into some different form of society than the liberal democracy it was through 2016, many people will have to make decisions like this about lots of professions.

4 Likes

My point is how necessary planned parenthood is in poorer areas. When she first tried to get an appointment, she chose a nearby town with a very diverse population where many of our healthcare providers are (Montclair NJ). We are a little closer in miles to Newark and Irvington than Hackensack. It didn’t occur to my 19 year old daughter that it would be easier to get an appointment in one area over another.

5 Likes

I’m sorry. I misunderstood, and I had to wait to respond again so left the board for a while. I’m a little raw. :pensive:

3 Likes

That is crazy! How can an IUD be illegal?? So sad what our country has become.

9 Likes

Some birth control could be banned if Roe v. Wade is overturned, legal experts warn explains how some state laws could make IUDs illegal.

5 Likes

I went to walk with a friend this morning right before 10 and returned home to a “special report” about this nonsense. This is like something out of a bad dream or a crazy movie . Chilling.

13 Likes

I realize the thread is addressing college aged people, but what about young married or other couples already out of college? Should they just abstain? It seems wise to use birth control so that one brings kids into the world when wanting them, ready for them, able to support them, etc. and many young couples, including my married kids wait a while to have kids until they get their careers in a good place, can own a place that is bigger than one bedroom to raise kids, be able to afford them, be ready for parenthood, etc. Having a baby when one doesn’t want one, or isn’t ready yet, or can’t afford it, etc. affects more than just college kids. Many people today who have kids, do so in their 30s, and so I don’t think abstinence is the answer. Nor do I believe it is realistic. AND what about those who have chosen to be childless for life? Should they abstain for life?

30 Likes

If my kids were considering college right now, I’d insist they only attend college in a state that mandates all men use some form of birth control until they have written consent from any woman they are dating or married to. Oh wait…

27 Likes