Consider your daughter's life and health when choosing a school

My roommate always used 2 forms of birth control simultaneously in college.

4 Likes

I’m trying to comprehend your point? Mine was what if they next do away with rights to use birth control? Lots of unwanted babies, and abstinence for many years until ready to have kids, or even if never wanting to kids, is not realistic, nor should it be the only way to avoid pregnancy for all (fine if it is one’s choice).

5 Likes

My point was in agreement that abstinence is unrealistic but women may wish to improve their chances of avoiding unwanted pregnancy by using multiple methods at the same time, thus dramatically reducing the risk of total contraceptive failure. Just a practical suggestion to consider. I am not concerned that most contraceptive access will ever be restricted anywhere in the US.

4 Likes

Or perhaps never even entering a state where abortion under all circumstances is illegal. The worst possible place would be where going out of state for an abortion is criminalized.

This is all just crazy. But, after reading this thread, these are real issues as of today. As a parent, I finally have a clue about how this affects the decision as to where our daughters go to college, just based on these obvious health issues.

8 Likes

Does abstinence protect against mental health issues that might arise from people who are unable to procure any birth control? Is it healthy for women to have to fear unwanted pregnancy by doing what nature intended? Is it healthy for a couples to be possibly be forced to have a child when they don’t want one?

10 Likes

@roycroftmom, OK, I understand now, thanks.

The reason I mentioned future restriction of birth control, is because I had read that one of the justices implied taking those rights away next. As well, taking away same sex marriage rights too. On the latter, what happens for same sex couples who are already married?

Just saying this could be the start of taking away other rights we already have.

6 Likes

Here is Clarence Thomas’s concurrence in Dobbs stating the above is in “error”:

Nothing is safe.

11 Likes

All contraceptives have a failure rate. Every single one. I have seen babies who were born 15 yrs after their mother’s tubal ligation. I have seen babies born who were conceived with an IUD in place - some come out clutching the IUD, some who stayed put even after the IUD was removed during the pregnancy. Babies whose mothers were on the pill. Babies whose mothers used barrier methods. Long term reversible contraceptives are a great idea for those who are sexually active and who do not have side effects from them, but they are no substitute for access to full GYN care, including safe, legal abortion.

41 Likes

MA requires girls younger than 16 to seek parental consent or judicial approval for an abortion. No girl is going to die in a hospital of pregnancy-related sepsis or a tubal rupture, but MA is most definitely NOT a good place to be a young pregnant teen in need of an abortion.

9 Likes

I would make sure that daughters and sons realize how much of their data is shared. Those phones are open books to their lives. Heck buying a pregnancy test can be easily traced.

Over the years, both DH and I have had very candid conversations with our Ds about always being able to come to us about things like this. After the Texas reporting law, we told them until they are married, if they found themselves pregnant, the first call should be to us and they might not be able to even tell the guy, because you just can’t trust that they won’t report. It’s sad, it shouldn’t be that way. These should be private decisions made by the people involved.

22 Likes

The WebMD site recommends using 2 methods as a highly effective means of avoiding pregnancy. While obviously nothing is perfect, highly effective methods do exist and some may wish to prioritize those methods due to current developments. I happen to support a woman’s right to choice, but that does not negate the importance of using effective means to avoid having to make that choice.

6 Likes

Just curious, which state allows a pregnant girl 16 or younger to have an abortion without parental consent?

Would a doctor be willing tonperform an abortion to a 16 yr old or younger without a parental consent?

One of those methods should be a condom. I had this discussion with my SIL earlier today who is a physician. He said that even with the consequences of the overturn of Roe, males aren’t going to be likely to want to use a condom. Two forms of birth control should not have to be a womens responsibility alone.

26 Likes

My advice to my 2 DDs remains unchanged after today’s Supreme Court ruling announcement.

Here is a state by list regarding parental consent laws for teens who seek an abortion. Many states require parental consent:

By contrast, there are very few states that require parental consent for a teen who seeks out prenatal care, or labor and delivery services.

The very same teen who is considered too immature to consent to have an abortion without her parent’s permission is considered mature enough to give birth without her parent’s permission!

Let. That. Sink. In.
The same teenager who cannot consent to her own abortion can consent to her own pre-natal testing, an epidural, an episiotomy, anesthesia, Caesarian section, etc. Then, she can consent to medical procedures on her child’s behalf once it is born. She can even sign adoption papers.

But, an abortion!!? No way. Too immature to make that decision.

25 Likes

Although I dont have a source my understanding is that most teens who have babies actually do have to have parental permission in many places for things like epidurals, etc and these are often held by angry parents who want to make their “reckless teens” (reflecting comments above, not my opinion) suffer for getting pregnant. So, these crazy laws do not extend to taking care of the pregnant mother, just further making them suffer for daring to have sex.

3 Likes

I agree 100%. I have seen the same contraception failures over my career. I did not mean to imply that it is OK that abortions aren’t available because LARCs are so good.

This might be a different thread (or maybe a PM group) but what are the most impactful things that people who have time, money, and/or desire to make lasting change can do (besides the obvious of voting)? What are the best organizations to support?

I loved Dick’s Sporting Goods statement yesterday that they will reimburse employees’ (and their spouses/dependents) abortion travel expenses (several other companies made similar statements), so today bought a few things. But that’s just a small thing.

I welcome PMs, and if any of you already have a group going, I would love to be included.

17 Likes

Just trying to wrap my brain about all of this, as our country continues to descend into the real-life Handmaid’s Tale

So, if a college kid happens to get pregnant while in college in a state where abortion is banned, and she chooses to have an abortion in her home state, where abortions are legal, is she going to be charged with a crime? Are states where abortions are banned going to require pregnancy tests of all who have a uterus at each state border? How can they prove where she got pregnant? Will a state be able to claim legal ownership of a fetus?

This is just devastating to women’s reproductive health and really puts a spotlight on just how little regard there is for women in this country.

19 Likes

Biden said yesterday that Congress will make sure that there is no criminal prosecution for women traveling to states where abortion is still legal and that he’s going to make sure Plan B and those type of drugs are still available mail order everywhere. Small consolation but it’s something.

9 Likes