Conversion Rates

Are teachers allowed to arbitrarily decide conversion rates for their courses in IB? Our teacher said in the beginning of the year that a raw 78 would be a level 7, but then changed it to a 90 because our marks are too high. I find it extremely unfair that my mark will suffer because of the holistic intelligence of my grade. The previous year, the conversion rate for level 7 was 80…

Does anybody have any information about IB’s regulations with conversions? If you could cite your sources too, that would be great because I need tangible proof that I can show to my IB Coordinator.

Thanks!

I hate to break it to you, but I think schools are allowed to decide individually on city inversion rates, but correct me if I’m wrong. For example, in my school a 7 is 90-100 in ANY level Math class (including HL) although the IBO grade boundaries fluctuate from year to year.

Also, you realize that the IB does the exact same thing your teacher’s done, right? They take the top 7% of scores (for example) and give them a 7 etc. and that’s how the grade boundaries are decided. It prevents a disproportionate amount of candidates from receiving the same grade and messing up the curve.