Cornell RD Class of 2025

because you haven’t submitted everything

yea but why 2022

Math is never a second choice. Math is one side of the coin and algorithms are the other side of the same coin. As far as transferring; https://csd.cmu.edu/guidelines-transfer-dual-degree-minor-and-additional-major-cs

I don’t think “backdooring” is advisable.
Plenty of excellent CS programs out there (think RPI, WPI etc).
If your son is that passionate - have him go there and KICK ass … the world would be his
oyster anyway. And he can always go to CMU or Cornell for Grad School should he want to.

(Additionally - Cornell transfer acceptance rate is reasonably high (esp into Engineering, as ppl do tend to drop out or change colleges, so if your son goes say to another school and get 3.7+ in honors courses - pretty good chance he could get in as a transfer)

2 Likes

I was sharing our experience and logic with what guided the decisions that he made. Applying to colleges are now in the past tense and not changeable, we wait and we trust. He already applied to Cornel and CMU as a math major. The other top schools he applied to was as a CS major in COE. The safety schools he already was accepted into was for CS in COE. I have lived my life listening to other people experiences and try to learn vicariously through their experience that they shared with me. In the end, my intuition told me to have my son apply to Cornel and CMU as a Math major and he trusted me and followed the advise. I told my son to trust the process after Cal tech and Stanford denied him and he said “it’s easy for you to say that, your process allowed everything to fall in place for you but that doesn’t mean that will be my outcome”. I told him he was the “living process” and not to worry about the outcome. Thank You! for sharing your thoughts and for listening. Good luck to everyone on having your college dreams becoming reality.

3 Likes

Not this cycle. It’s just a yes or no if the meeting happened.

2 Likes

I don’t believe that there are any transfer applicants in this thread, but you all seem knowledgeable about Cornell so I do have a question about transfers.

My friend wants to transfer to Cornell CALS because she isn’t a big fan of Stony Brook and she was denied RD last year. The percentage accepted for transfer doesn’t seem to be horrible, but I do know that there is a guaranteed transfer program for the land-grant schools so I’m wondering if that’s the reason they accept that much transfer to the public schools. I just want to know if anyone knows how difficult it is to transfer into Cornell CALS (she wants to major in biology) without being granted the guaranteed transfer option.

(a) My info is dated
(b) Anecdotally my friend who got rejected at CAS, tried to transfer from SBU with a 4.0 GPA
and got denied. But, same year, 2 more friends transferred into CAS from Binghamton.
(trick was - they never applied to Cornell before) … Like I said - this totally anecdotal, and
before Cornell started to give out the transfer option.

It doesn’t hurt to try, right? If her grades are excellent she probably has a much better chance
that she had when she applied as a HS Senior.

Top rated high school in Bergen County NJ

BCA?

If the school you’re talking about is BT or BCA, the answer is culinary admits. One of the chefs at BCA manages to get most of their students into Cornell’s hospitality program seemingly every year.

@batbat I wasn’t even thinking some of those students as the reason, but that makes total sense!! Thanks for jogging my memory there.

Does anyone know if the Policy Analysis and Management major is particularly competitive? My uw GPA is around a 3.7, and my weighted is a 4.3.

Cornell admits by college, not major.

That is partly true, depending on the college. For CALS, you do apply to a specific major. For other colleges, you do not.

Maybe, but changing majors within college is fairly trivial.

1 Like

My bad, it’s a part of Cornell’s Human Ecology college but it’s so unlike the other majors in the school I thought they’d admit by major for it

Where do you find the financial aid portal once you log in?

Has anyone received a LL from Cornell yet? just curious.

Just had my “interview” it lasted 2h 30 minute, it was really good and super informal! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Which school in the University are you applying to? SHA?