Cornell RD Class of 2025

“ Endowed Scholarships
Students who are eligible for Cornell University Grants may also be eligible to receive a named endowed scholarship. Especially meaningful, these scholarships are established by individuals who care deeply about Cornell and its students. Some donors are Cornell alumni, who were themselves the beneficiaries of student aid. An endowed scholarship can establish a direct connection between you and the donor; most donors welcome the opportunity to meet or correspond with the students who receive their awards. Note that:

A named endowed scholarship does not change the total amount of financial aid awarded.
Funds awarded through endowed scholarships replace the amount of any Cornell grant or self-help component (loans and work-study) on a dollar-for-dollar basis based on fund restrictions.
Scholarships are awarded to students who meet the criteria specific to each fund.
You are automatically considered for these funds when you apply for financial aid. Selection is based on a student’s match with a donor’s criteria.”

I assumed this was why the “request to fill out financial aid” email was sent three times. Never filled it out, then a likely came. The request wasn’t in the portal, just in emails. I dunno…

Just trying to help. I don’t know if this means anything and their site is wrong, but this is up there.

1 Like

Pretty sure this is saying to qualify for these scholarships you need to qualify for financial aid and what fhey’re grants but they’re funded by people who received aid when they went to Cornell and they want to help incoming Cornellians as well. So they’re based on need.

In non-Covid times, does Cornell have anything comparable to the Dartmouth trips program for new students?

Yes. Sounds the same as what Dartmouth offered. There were several-day (3 or 5 days long I believe. No showers!) hiking or camping trips or service volunteering programs (these were all day that you were provided temp housing for) culminated with move-in day.

1 Like

Thanks! Is move-in day when the dorms open (this year 8/20) or ??? I’m trying to get a sense of when my kid would need to be on campus. He would be a freshman.

Fall this year is different obviously. Nothing has been announced yet. In the normal years, you would be given a slot (I think 1 hour slot) and you would park (assuming you drive) in a satellite lot and wait your slot. When you pull up to the dorm, there would be an army of movers with large carts that take your things right to room.

It was very well organized and they emptied our car is a matter of minutes and than off you had to go.

It wasn’t rigid and inflexible if you missed the slot. Someone would take care of you. Move in was staggered over 2 days I believe. You could move in anytime after that as well but not before.

A day or 2 later there would be a convocation for entering students at the football stadium. It was very nice when the choir sang Alma Mater.

1 Like

Do you mean pre-orientation programs? If so, YES! Some awesome programs. My daughter went on a one day overnight one and had a blast and met some great friends. There are some that are really long hiking ones up to 2 weeks if you want, or as short as a few days, but my daughter is not much of a roughing it girl and wasn’t really interested in those anyway. There are also Christian ones and a Jewish one through HIllel. Great way to connect and I would search pre-orientation trips after acceptance day or via the checklist if I recall once the new student checklist is out. Some of them also let you move into the dorm one day early. I remember that was a really nice perk for us.

1 Like

Yes, move in day is usually 2 days long and depending where you live you are assigned a certain time window to move in. It is not at all efficient. It’s also usually hot and parking is horrible as they have you park in a satellite location and take the bus back (in normal times) so when you go back and buy stuff from Target or whatever you can’t drive up to the dorm to drop it off because you already had your move in time. It really sucked tbh. If it’s like this year, then parents don’t even get to go in and help and kids were only allowed one suitcase to move in and all dorm bedding and such could be ordered through Dormco to be delivered right into the room through an arrangement with Cornell. Any other packages would not be delivered to your rooms. Depending on what happens with covid and opening I really would not worry about any of this at this time as it’s a very fluid situation. In a month or so for all admitted they will start sending out emails and students need to pay attention because parents are generally not included on these. Roommate selections are usually due by a certain date as well although last year too these were very late.

One other thing about packages. There is a central mail/package location that students go to pick this stuff up so if things are mailed in, they don’t get delivered directly to students and with quarantining and stuff required last year that’s why sending stuff wasn’t manageable and they would only deliver to the room from the dormco plus. Obviously kids survived but not idea. I was very happy I did not have a kid living in a dorm.

Also for anyone who is admitted thinking about bringing a car, DON’T. There is no reason to have a car there. Parking is hard to get, expensive, and students get lots of expensive parking tickets. Not worth it. Usually you can take a bus if you live in Westchester or or wherever, or fly if you live far like the rest of us. Or uber to syracuse if you fly out of there.

2 Likes

Thanks for the great info! To clarify, are the trips generally before move in or after? I saw on the calendar for this year that dorms open 8/20. I know everything is fluid due to Covid but I’m thinking “best case.”

Do most students find their own roommates or will the school match if you don’t have anyone?

Also, is the bus from Westchester chartered by Cornell or is it through Greyhound or some other carrier?

Thanks!

Something else. The minute your kid commits to college, whether it is Cornell or elsewhere if in a small college town, I would book a hotel around those dates. Otherwise you will never get a room and the prices are crazy expensive.

2 Likes

That’s one of my reasons for asking about dates :wink:

Before move in. The typical schedule is pre-orientation trips, move in, orientation, then school starts. Move in is usually Friday and Saturday. The convocation thing is Saturday evening, kids usually have a dorm floor meeting and icebreaker stuff with the dorms and then orientation or CASE testing (testing out of courses) starts Sunday, swim tests, etc. those few days and then school begins usually on the Wednesday. Not much down time.

Course registration is typically done from home in July. All freshmen register at the exact same time and it is a cluster because of course kids get kicked off the system since you have thousands of people registering at the same exact minute. It’s one of the things I find to be a big negative there. Some classes depending on major are already selected for you, like if you’re in engineering, so you don’t really have a choice there.

1 Like

This is the pre-orientation page Pre-Orientation Service Trip | Find Your Opportunity Bookmark it or check frequently for updates.

1 Like

Anyone else not have access to their financial aid portal? “you are not authorized to access this component?”

does it say “inquiry access denied”?

That was always like that last 2 months or so

1 Like

How competitive is Cornell’s CS admission?
My son applied for CS under CAS, assuming it is a little easier to get in than Engineering.

UC’s CS admission was brutal this year. People are rejected or waitlisted from left to right. I am assuming that the acceptance rate for CS over there is probably 5-10%. Am I supposed to expect the same for Cornell? I hope CS under CAS is a little better than Engineering. What is everybody’s opinion?

Cornell doesn’t admit by major, just college.

both are extremely competitive, especially CAS since its probably the largest school in Cornell.

I heard CS in CAS is hard as well very competitive. Lot of kids with perfect scores and GPA apply CS at CAS

Unless you have a very strong reason why you applied to CAS CS vs engineering convince in the essay may be