Cornell waitlist 2027

Hi, I come bearing (unofficial) good news for those on the Cornell Waitlist. Since 2009 number of students offered admission has ranged from 0 to 260, with numbers as low as 24 just 2 years ago. So with my son on the waitlist, the question was how many will be offered admission off the waitlist in any year, and 2023 in particular.

Cornell currently ranks third among Ivy’s with retention rate of around 67.5% last year. With 4994 admitted, and using last year’s retention rate 67.5%, they retain 3371. As their stated class size is 3441, a paltry 70 lucky souls would be admitted (and even less if the retention rates go up as it has in the past decade). But in fact there’s a bit of noise in the yield rates, check out this graph in this article in the Harvard Crimson: " As American Colleges Struggle to Fill Classes, Ivy League Yield Rates Continue to Rise" [sorry won’t let me place a link]

I got to thinking the use of published retention rates are an inaccurate way to predict number of waitlist students offered admission, because they don’t consider early decision and waitlist acceptances which have yield rates close to 100%. Below are Regular decision yield rates from which acceptance offers can be calculated, assuming 100% of Early Decision and Waitlist offers are enrolled. Regular decision yield rates (Regular decision acceptances/Regular decision offers) are not published but can be calculated by the following formula=
(Total enrolled- early decision admission offers-waitlist offers)/
(Total admission offers- early decision admission offers- waitlist offers)

The Regular decision yield rates have much less variability that other factors, with essentially the same yield rate in the past 2 years, while the difference in waitlist acceptance differed more than a factor of 10. The predicted waitlist acceptance for the current year according to the published class size of 3441 is 245 students using linear regression (r2=0.74; P<.0001), with a range of about 220-270 accepted off the waitlist, which is higher than normal and potentially a record breaking year in terms of numbers accepted with a likely higher than normal percentage of acceptance. The right hand axis below shows the number of waitlist acceptances based on the yield rates of 35-50% (ranging from 109-600 waitlist admissions), but this year’s is predicted to be highest ever at 45.92%, but I predict the overall yield rate to dip a bit and settle at 65.7%. Of course the 245 coming off the waitlist is a good thing, but doesn’t take into account the college specific operations that Cornell carries out. Good luck Y’all!

[I have a nice graph here, if any one knows how to get around the upload block tell me and I’ll post it, a tiny pic is in my profile]

Data used:

1. Waitlist letter
  2. Institutional Research and Planning site at Cornell [sorry won’t let me place a link]
  3. Cornell Sun article, “Nearly 5,000 Students Admitted Into Cornell for Class of 2027” [sorry won’t let me place a link]
4 Likes

I actually have a nice graph but was blocked from posting it, though a tiny pic is in my profile!

Does this apply to the Hotel school as well?

1 Like

Did anyone else just receive an email from Cornell?

What does it say?

“The Engineering Admissions Office will be making a small number of offers of admissions to applicants on the College of Engineering’s wait list…”

Then asked me to fill out a form as soon as possible! (Submitted my LOCI this past weekend)

5 Likes

Yes my son received the same engineering email. He applied to CS. Hope it’s a good sign!

1 Like

CS for me also! Good luck to him

1 Like

Has anyone received such an email from other schools at Cornell?

for the form they only ask for a essay so should we still submit a LOCI?

submitted my LOCI to the school first then they sent me the form today! I recommend submitting it unless they ask not to that bc the essay question is more major based

1 Like

Congrats on receiving this. Sounds like a good sign! Did you respond to them already or how much time are they giving you. Good luck!

1 Like

It’s across all the colleges, so can’t say about one specific program or not. It seems that for AAP, at least, each of the 3 programs (Art, Architecture, Urban Planning) keep different lists, so essentially even within the college the waitlist opening is dependent on the numbers of the specific program within in. That said, hopefully the engineering letter is a good sign of general things to come, and I remember reading over the waitlist from a year or two ago, and the hotel school was taking kids in April, before the May deadline.

2 Likes

My son also received the engineering admissions email today. Do you think they sent to all engineering students on the waitlist? He applied for chemical engineering.

I’m typing my essay to send this weekend. They didn’t give a specific time limit, only expressed as soon as possible. Thank you also!

1 Like

anyone from other school, CALS and CAS receive similar email?

i received one from the college of arts and sciences this afternoon

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, it looks like this is not for everyone but selected candidates…

Congratulations…what does it say?

1 Like

My son just got in off the wait list for Nolan!!

4 Likes